Investment year in review.

Nomad

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fellow investors.... my broker called a couple of days ago and suggested I change several of my mutual fund holdings from the traditional S&P500 to a S&P500, but without FOSSIL FUEL companies.  These funds represent about 20% of all my holdings across regular account, and Roth and traditional IRAs.  Most of the reasoning was not what I would call a solid business case - things like “they pollute”, “they buy green energy patents and bury them”, they are “bad people”, etc....  When I researched I see that fossil fuels have been below market returns for the past 5 years or so and a lot of endowments and other holding companies are dumping them.  

Opinions?   

20 minutes ago, Otto said:

Hey fellow investors.... my broker called a couple of days ago and suggested I change several of my mutual fund holdings from the traditional S&P500 to a S&P500, but without FOSSIL FUEL companies.  These funds represent about 20% of all my holdings across regular account, and Roth and traditional IRAs.  Most of the reasoning was not what I would call a solid business case - things like “they pollute”, “they buy green energy patents and bury them”, they are “bad people”, etc....  When I researched I see that fossil fuels have been below market returns for the past 5 years or so and a lot of endowments and other holding companies are dumping them.  

Opinions?   

Interesting. I have not heard anything like this. Mutual Fund wise, I love MACGX - up over 125% for me YTD

2 hours ago, Otto said:

Opinions?   

Down big on Exxon.  I had banked that they hit rock bottom at the beginning and would sky rocket after travel opens up again but they sank even lower since.  Now with the success of Tesla and Nio, I'm starting to believe they'll never go back to their pre-pandemic highs.

All it takes is a big hurricane in the Gulf cost, a skirmish in the Middle East, or Venezuela having a coup and oil stocks will be soaring again.   Honestly, I don't care about the way any company makes money, as long as it is a good investment.   Maybe I will but more tobacco stocks!  Or MJ - those are/were hot for a while.....

• Like 1

Boston Beer Stock is up 150% YTD.......

On the oil side I just picked up some Royal Dutch as I feel they have been battered to a low that has a lot of upside. I feel most of the others are not low enough in the current oil trends to be of value at this point.

I would agree with your investor that on the growth side for the sector would be slow at best. There are always a diamond in the rough or two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otto said:

Opinions?   

The real reason is whether you think Biden and blue wave will win in the election in next few weeks.

If Biden wins, I don't see the fossil fuel growth w/o a major rebound in the pandemic and consumption patterns. You'd have to expect with a Blue wave across the legislature and white house, there will be actions to re-engage in the Paris Accord, orders to reach X goal by Y that is made up of renewable energy - IE All electric cars by 2032, etc.

Most all of those companies are MNCs but there will be alot of headwinds with a blue wave...

The smart fossil fuel company is the one that is divesting into renewables IMO. Sort of like what Unilever did with responsible sustaining coffee/tea, etc. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Otto said:

Rob, where did you come up with a $388K figure?  I always wondered what I would need. 

I am a man of simple needs.  I could actually prob do it for little less. Lol. 

88k pays off every debt I have.  The rest covers my bills, small home improvements, taxes, health insurance and boat gas til I'm 62 for SS and 60 for 401k and 65 for health ins. Then enough to supplement that to get by with SS.  

Goal is to have mortgage paid at 60 and retire then. Most def by 62.  But now would be nice. Once I retire I would prob never go farther than the local Walmart for groceries, to the boat launch 4 minutes away and the hunting lease 6 minutes away.  Legion for fish fry or the Brew Haus for a flight of beers all within 2 miles, a good Italian restaurant 300 yards away, post office 2 houses down the road, good mechanic 400 yards away and a state park to take walks with the dog is 1/2 mile with the best sunsets around. GF lives 15 minutes away but she always comes out here to visit. 

Hell if I get too old I can get my scooter to the canal/pier 400 yards away and still fish.  Lol

I'd be set!  Yes I may have thought about it a bit.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Otto said:

All it takes is a big hurricane in the Gulf cost, a skirmish in the Middle East, or Venezuela having a coup and oil stocks will be soaring again.   Honestly, I don't care about the way any company makes money, as long as it is a good investment.   Maybe I will but more tobacco stocks!  Or MJ - those are/were hot for a while.....

Which country should we accuse of stockpiling weapons of mass destruction now?  I contemplate that while I ride my peloton that @Biz-R-OWorld probably made money off of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I am a man of simple needs.  I could actually prob do it for little less. Lol. 

88k pays off every debt I have.  The rest covers my bills, small home improvements, taxes, health insurance and boat gas til I'm 62 for SS and 60 for 401k and 65 for health ins. Then enough to supplement that to get by with SS.  

Goal is to have mortgage paid at 60 and retire then. Most def by 62.  But now would be nice. Once I retire I would prob never go farther than the local Walmart for groceries, to the boat launch 4 minutes away and the hunting lease 6 minutes away.  Legion for fish fry or the Brew Haus for a flight of beers all within 2 miles, a good Italian restaurant 300 yards away, post office 2 houses down the road, good mechanic 400 yards away and a state park to take walks with the dog is 1/2 mile with the best sunsets around. GF lives 15 minutes away but she always comes out here to visit. 

Hell if I get too old I can get my scooter to the canal/pier 400 yards away and still fish.  Lol

I'd be set!  Yes I may have thought about it a bit.  

Rob, good for you, sounds like a great plan!  I have not thought about it much and I am closer to it than you.  I don’t see myself stopping work, but I do see a lot fewer days in the office and more at home, camp or lake.       Covid di mess things up a bit for me, but I think I will be okay in the long run. 

• Like 1

Just now, Otto said:

Rob, good for you, sounds like a great plan!  I have not thought about it much and I am closer to it than you.  I don’t see myself stopping work, but I do see a lot fewer days in the office and more at home, camp or lake.       Covid di mess things up a bit for me, but I think I will be okay in the long run. 

Hope that works out.  More days at least doing the things you work to be able to. Even if you can get to do that it would sure be worth it.  Glad to see you got out on that lake Lila trip.  

It's kinda funny , I have always been a machine at work. Something that needs to get done gets done. Ive had maxed out sick time for years, right now I have 7 weeks of vacation on the books. But I know I could walk away from it at this point and be happy about it. Hell even if I won the lotto I would still give 6 months notice cause where I work has been good to me. But I can honestly say I wouldn't miss working anymore. And not because I don't have a good job and would like something different, I find myself getting tired of being on a schedule that I just don't get to choose and would rather be on the lake or in the woods. And I think that feeling comes from my Dad passing one month before he was planning to retire to do all those things too. 

But of course I give my all and then some.  Always have it's the only way I know. I have always been the guy that opens the place and closes it. And on call 24/7.