Investment year in review.

Nomad

17 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yea market may go up and down for a few days/weeks but it will ride out. It might be time to change sectors a bit. I feel Big Tech may not be so shiny. It will take close to a year till any real big policy effects take a foothold.

With the way the world is right now, booze, bullets and beef are the only necessities!! JK

Big Pharma, Pot, Financial institutions are prolly solid...

Bio and Pot running today!!

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

these didn't age well!

More than happy to be wrong. But I am sure you knew there wouldnt be a drop today but just didn't say it.  Hard to top those Biz post predictions. Lol.  

Glad to see it's in the positive regardless.

Edited by Robhuntandfish

13 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Tesla $800 . This is me missing that boat .

Dude Tesla hurts my head. I have missed the boat on this twice! And they still can't meet quotas or production goals....?? Dude is now the richest man out there!

smh

• Like 1

Just sold off a ton cashed in 1/3 of portfolio.  Got a 46% gain in 1 yr and harvested since that’s not normal so didn’t want to be a pig  pigs get slaughtered.  

With 2/3 of portfolio still at work in low basis securities will sit back and wait for next steep market drop and re up in favorable sector funds/ETFs 

From an investment perspective 2020 was my best year ever for this portion of my portfolio hoping to find half those returns in 2021 would make happy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

More than happy to be wrong. But I am sure you knew there wouldnt be a drop today but just didn't say it.  Hard to top those Biz post predictions. Lol.  

Glad to see it's in the positive regardless.

i don't day trade. Just buy, buy, buy for early retirement

Wow, 46% gain is sweet.  I am too lazy to become an expert in the market.   Most of my retirement funds are in a vanguard aggressive growth fund that has returned 11% per year on average over the last 5.  Based on its current value and my current contributions, even at only 8% over the next 15 years until I retire, my kids will have a nice nest egg at some point as the account should have far more than I need to live on (unless I start going crazy on African and sheep hunts).  So while jealous, I just run the numbers and convince myself not to try to time anything, "just stay the course."   Hope it works out as much as I would like to see some bigger returns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Dude Tesla hurts my head. I have missed the boat on this twice! And they still can't meet quotas or production goals....?? Dude is now the richest man out there!

smh

I've bought and sold tesla 5 times this year. In hindsight, i should have stayed in. But profits are profits. It's crazy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Wow, 46% gain is sweet.  I am too lazy to become an expert in the market.   Most of my retirement funds are in a vanguard aggressive growth fund that has returned 11% per year on average over the last 5.  Based on its current value and my current contributions, even at only 8% over the next 15 years until I retire, my kids will have a nice nest egg at some point as the account should have far more than I need to live on (unless I start going crazy on African and sheep hunts).  So while jealous, I just run the numbers and convince myself not to try to time anything, "just stay the course."   Hope it works out as much as I would like to see some bigger returns.

Smart man. Same here. I have a small liquid account i play around with, but otherwise everything is just retirement-related and buys twice a month (never sells). For fun, play around with a 401k calculator and check out what 40% gets you if you averaged that the next 20 years. You would become Boog5050 the billionaire!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Smart man. Same here. I have a small liquid account i play around with, but otherwise everything is just retirement-related and buys twice a month (never sells). For fun, play around with a 401k calculator and check out what 40% gets you if you averaged that the next 20 years. You would become Boog5050 the billionaire!

My firm is pretty good about ensuring that no one will cry broke when they are supposed to retire via mandatory retirement contributions for partners from your annual draw (something a bit big brother-ish that I don't mind one bit).   lol  We also have a non qualified plan that is supposed to cover you for the first 6 years of retirement (with the idea of allowing your then savings grow even more significantly) and then of course there is social security.   Those two I never even consider when evaluating retirement needs.  If social security is still around and paying out in 15-20 years, it will just be a bonus.  

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

My firm is pretty good about ensuring that no one will cry broke when they are supposed to retire via mandatory retirement contributions for partners from your annual draw (something a bit big brother-ish that I don't mind one bit).   lol  We also have a non qualified plan that is supposed to cover you for the first 6 years of retirement (with the idea of allowing your then savings grow even more significantly) and then of course there is social security.   Those two I never even consider when evaluating retirement needs.  If social security is still around and paying out in 15-20 years, it will just be a bonus.  

That's great and agree 100% on SS. I never bank on it, but will gladly accept it someday after paying into it for so long.

• Like 1

I keep 2/3 of retirement portfolio 401k traditional and a Roth in fairly conservative stocks that I have purchased over 28 years of working.  They are dollar cost averaging a lower basis and produce tremendous dividends annually so I really don’t mess with them much it’s like having the golden goose.  Another third of my portfolio more Roth related I have been time trading with and doing very well that is where I made the 46% this past year mostly in Apple and Fidelity’s ETF technology.  So I took my gains today and move them to cash I fully expect to reinvest shortly once I get a better feel for how the new politics will affect certain sectors like healthcare and pot stocks they seem to be favored more for the next administration.   I have never done this before mass with a third of my portfolio but I took a new job a little over a year ago and it comes with a pension so between that and Social Security I pretty much know my fixed income when I retire so I figure I can get a little more aggressive with my supplemental income retirement sources.  But I certainly don’t expect 46% again this year I’d be happy with 23.  

As you know farms in Iowa and second homes in Aruba aren’t cheap.  Dreams!!!

• Like 2

Retirement for me will be no longer having to work a 50 hour week for someone else. I can consult and do odd jobs if I want to stay busy but truthfully If I could afford it I would retire now it’s 53 and enjoy spending time traveling and with family traveling never gets old. 

• Like 1

What’s retirement?

Waking up, having a cup of coffee and deciding to hunt/fish/swim/etc. while you’re money makes enough money to cover your expenses for the day, so that the next day you still have the same money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Team Hoyt said:

I just made $250 on my bitcoin, not to bad for not knowing stocks. I think I'll cash my $250 out and keep my original $100 in to keep going. How can I join in stocks thats easy? Through a app?

I use Robinhood. Very easy . I don't have any experience elsewhere. 

• Like 1