Investment year in review.

Nomad

• 4 weeks later...

These are the days when the balanced (non gunslinger) investor sleeps well.  LOL

Yesterday morning on my ride to work I was listening to CNBC.  The futures were in the crapper and they were fearful of another negative day.

Seems the markets had a bit of a turn around by the end of the day. 

These are the days when the balanced (non gunslinger) investor sleeps well.  LOL
Yesterday morning on my ride to work I was listening to CNBC.  The futures were in the crapper and they were fearful of another negative day.
Seems the markets had a bit of a turn around by the end of the day. 

Yea it’ll bounce back it always does. Just keep buying every 2 weeks and DCAing.

Edit - “it” meaning the market in general. S&P500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Geez you guys got hit hard. I’m down but not by a lot in my 401K and Roth IRA. I actually gained for the week this past week despite a hellacious first few days. 

Apple was tasting pretty sweet.

My 401K down 13% YTD. It’s mostly S&P500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pensions ..... I know most do not have a Pension but I was lucky enough to gain a couple Pensions through life and was wondering what people thought about reviving the idea of bringing them back ?  I also realize that most companies these days would rather fund 401k's and now when an employee leaves / retires they are done with them . If you look at what people have saved via 401k / Roth it looks like a lot of people will be relying heavily on SS which is close to poverty level ! I know you cannot demand to bring Pensions back and actually may do better on your own but there is that segment of society whom just cannot save for the future ! Thoughts ?

22 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Pensions ..... I know most do not have a Pension but I was lucky enough to gain a couple Pensions through life and was wondering what people thought about reviving the idea of bringing them back ?  I also realize that most companies these days would rather fund 401k's and now when an employee leaves / retires they are done with them . If you look at what people have saved via 401k / Roth it looks like a lot of people will be relying heavily on SS which is close to poverty level ! I know you cannot demand to bring Pensions back and actually may do better on your own but there is that segment of society whom just cannot save for the future ! Thoughts ?

you will never see them again.  NYS is paying as much for retired people as they are working people. Life excpectancy is longer as well.  Its a dinosaur at this point and anyone that has one should feel lucky.  And some that have them have lost them as well.  Long gone 

I know of quite a few retired people that got screwed over by employers intentionally  underfunded pensions. They they file bankruptcy on them .  Retired  person is lucky to get .50 cents on the dollar when the government takes them over ...  like the government can manage money any better .

Give me a 401k and a republican  president  and I will be fine . 

I’m a conservative and I bitch about many things this state does , but the NY Police,Fire pension fund is one of , if not the best managed pension fund. Fully funded, very good roi ,they also keep the states greedy hands from raiding it which is probably key as well .

Although we invested as if I’d get nothing ,so that’s pretty damn sweet at this point .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’m a conservative and I bitch about many things this state does , but the NY Police,Fire pension fund is one of , if not the best managed pension fund. Fully funded, very good roi ,they also keep the states greedy hands from raiding it which is probably key as well .

Although we invested as if I’d get nothing ,so that’s pretty damn sweet at this point .

When you perform a job everyday where you are putting your life at risk, you should be rewarded!!

• Like 1

The one company I did work for and am currently receiving a Pension offered either a Pension or Lump Sum . Well there were quite a few individuals whom took the Lump Sum before 2008 and lo and behold the Market Tanked and . I retired from there in 2009 and took the Pension , but that's just me . Now lots of those people were around 50 years of age , they started in their teens or early 20's and unfortunately went through their Lump Sum too quick and were desperate to turn 62 for the first shot at SS in order to survive . I on the other hand left at 52 and turned around and went right back to work in another field - civil service - and gained another Pension . Its all planning !

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Some of the cryptos think it is going to validate them if regulated and will keep the wild fluctuating down.
But the more I see it feels like the US is eventually headed to the digital dollar. Which will make other crypto obsolete.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back in the mix as of last week. Sold my NY house last Monday and got back into VOO/QQQ and Tesla for now. Today the whispers are Tesla splitting stock and maybe issuing dividends going forward. We'll see.