Investment year in review.

Nomad

2 hours ago, phade said:

Similar to people saying how high they set their stands, the tape measurer might be off a bit. Off my soapbox.

I agree ! As someone who worked with ladders and had to choose the correct height for the job in a few seconds I developed a good eye  , I can attest that I’ve seen, many guys who’s stands were several feet lower then they said .

Skilled trades are a good choice but it can be a slow climb up , well five years ,that’s good if one starts at 18-20 a bit challenging if one starts at 30 has a wife and a house like my son in law . That pipe fitter must be working a TON  of OT most union trade jobs that I’m aware of around here too pay is upper thirties an hour .

If I had to do,it over I’d have joined the military at 18, then took all the cop and firefighter tests I did, but had veterans points which would have either got me on sooner, or saved and used on promotion tests. I also would have done reserves while on the FD so after 20 another pension . I ton of guys I worked with did that and the dept is very accommodating with leave time .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Agreed, what are we really teaching our future generations here?

Keep borrowing and eventually you dont have to pay?

Exactly, but it is consistent the other lesson of handing out "free" money to some during COVID.  Personal responsibility be damned.

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I agree ! As someone who worked with ladders and had to choose the correct height for the job in a few seconds I developed a good eye  , I can attest that I’ve seen, many guys who’s stands were several feet lower then they said .

Skilled trades are a good choice but it can be a slow climb up , well five years ,that’s good if one starts at 18-20 a bit challenging if one starts at 30 has a wife and a house like my son in law . That pipe fitter must be working a TON  of OT most union trade jobs that I’m aware of around here too pay is upper thirties an hour .

If I had to do,it over I’d have joined the military at 18, then took all the cop and firefighter tests I did, but had veterans points which would have either got me on sooner, or saved and used on promotion tests. I also would have done reserves while on the FD so after 20 another pension . I ton of guys I worked with did that and the dept is very accommodating with leave time .

That is what my father did. 23 in the Navy and then got into a second career leveraging his military experience. He's done well for himself with a few retirement revenue streams. It really is a good pathway as you noted.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I also would have done reserves while on the FD so after 20 another pension . I ton of guys I worked with did that and the dept is very accommodating with leave time .

I did 22 years in the Reserve but I initially went in at 28 retired at 50 , waited 10 years for the Pension / Free Medical but worth it !

• Like 1

I think most Americans agree debts should be paid regardless of the circumstances and headwinds. Is what it is.

But, do those same Americans who meet the criteria forgo the $10K debt forgiveness on principal now? Do they not take/claim deductions they wouldn't ideologically agree with up front? 

That is a weird paradigm IMO.

Edited by phade

22 minutes ago, phade said:

I think most Americans agree debts should be paid regardless of the circumstances and headwinds. Is what it is.

But, do those same Americans who meet the criteria forgo the $10K debt forgiveness on principal now? Do they not take/claim deductions they wouldn't ideologically agree with up front? 

That is a weird paradigm IMO.

LOL - I think you know the practical/realistic answer to those questions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to 2 years of college and got an Associates Degree at a State School.

I paid all the Collège off and went to work.

I Learned thru the school of hard nocks and lived within my means.

I have very little debt ( My House) and have done without to save for retirement.

Now I have to pay for the bad decisions others have made.

You make your bed and you sleep in it.

How is it fair to make other people pay for others mistakes.

Edited by chads
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, chads said:

I went to 2 years of college and got an Associates Degree at a State School.

I paid all the Collège off and went to work.

I Learned thru the school of hard nocks and lived within my means.

I have very little debt ( My House) and have done without to save for retirement.

Now I have to pay for the bad decisions others have made.

You make your bed and you sleep in it.

How is it fair to make other people pay for others mistakes.

at least we don't have to deal with mean tweets?

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, BizCT said:

at least we don't have to deal with mean tweets?

I am not a TRUMPER, I am a Red Blooded American that worked hard and sacrificed for what I have.

You only buy what you have money for.

I agree we need to have colleges to educate our young adults, that's why I suggested to have low interest loans if they need it so they are not penalized for wanting an education.

It is a choice, not an entitlement to get a College Degree.

There are many other options out there that provide a very good living.

Edited by chads
  • Like 2

IF the govt was to spend this amount how bout forgiving 10K of debt for all who served active duty?  This is just another ridiculous scheme.  And may in fact they already know it will be deemed unconstitutional then they can claim--- oh we tried but the Rep and the Supreme court wouldnt let us.  Vote them out and pack the court and this wouldnt happen.  -- Can def see them using this as a tactic for Votes 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

IF the govt was to spend this amount how bout forgiving 10K of debt for all who served active duty?  This is just another ridiculous scheme.  And may in fact they already know it will be deemed unconstitutional then they can claim--- oh we tried but the Rep and the Supreme court wouldnt let us.  Vote them out and pack the court and this wouldnt happen.  -- Can def see them using this as a tactic for Votes 

Does the GI Bill already help in that fashion, around education and skill training? Pretty sure my Dad went and got a two year degree for free on the GI Bill, so just wondering if that is already in place.

For me, I'm worried this isn't the last time they do this with SLs. I bet they go back to the board again closer to Presidential re-election. $10K is just the start.

• Like 1

Does the GI Bill already help in that fashion, around education and skill training? Pretty sure my Dad went and got a two year degree for free on the GI Bill, so just wondering if that is already in place.
For me, I'm worried this isn't the last time they do this with SLs. I bet they go back to the board again closer to Presidential re-election. $10K is just the start.
Not sure. But I was just referring in general. Give these active duty vets 10k for their service. To use on bills, debt, etc. Rather than paying for people that willingly signed agreements to take on debt for a degree in anything from animal husbandry to zoology.

Makes no sense that a plumber or a single mom working at a coffee shop has to belly up to pay for a physicians assistant or an engineers degree with their tax dollars.

I'm hoping it gets blocked as unconstitutional. But your right surely wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again. Esp right before the next presidential election.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I got my bachelors degree for free on the governments dime by using tuition assistance while on active duty. Still have my GI Bill to give my kids, they get free school and a housing stipend.

It sucked being away from home but now I am in the Guard and kids are still young.. worth it imo.

Anyone has kids/friends considering joining the service feel free to DM me.. I’ll give you the non-recruiter advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Two of the things making it hard . The spiraling out of control cost of college coupled with employers requiring degrees for entry level learn as you go type jobs. Mrs nomad has zero college .

She started at the VA , in accts rec. they taught her what she needed, from there to a local manufacturer again in accts rec. as a credit analyst. After a bunch of years promoted to credit administer  . 

Towards the end she would always say she could never get these jobs today, they want a degree for an entry level customer service job ,taking parts orders over the phone . Totally unnecessary and putting folks in debt for what ? 

It’s a vicious cycle, you get college folks raising up to hiring positions and since they had to go, they only hire others who were sucked in as well . 

time for a cigar ,some gin and the Allman brothers in the garage !

I just read the fact sheet.

The debt forgiveness won’t be taxable due to the recent Relief act. So if you get the relief it’s tax free.

Second, they do say married bumps this up to $250K per year. Well, that’s going to allow a lot of people who make more than $125K in, not a ton of spouses also make another $125K or push household over $250K. Weird phrases being used in the discussion around it. Biden keeps saying nobody who makes more than $125K will get this relief but that’s not going to be true if the way it is written sticks.

Pell grants move it up to $20K. Bazinga.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

I am so happy I work so hard to pay for shit other people buy and can't afford........you cant afford it don't buy it!

This country is turning to shit faster than believable. Buying sheep votes with our money. I really ask myself why I continue to work and support this bull......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

Two of the things making it hard . The spiraling out of control cost of college coupled with employers requiring degrees for entry level learn as you go type jobs. Mrs nomad has zero college .

She started at the VA , in accts rec. they taught her what she needed, from there to a local manufacturer again in accts rec. as a credit analyst. After a bunch of years promoted to credit administer  . 

Towards the end she would always say she could never get these jobs today, they want a degree for an entry level customer service job ,taking parts orders over the phone . Totally unnecessary and putting folks in debt for what ? 

It’s a vicious cycle, you get college folks raising up to hiring positions and since they had to go, they only hire others who were sucked in as well . 

time for a cigar ,some gin and the Allman brothers in the garage !

Sadly our education system is so dysfunctional that much of college is actually remedial work aimed at teaching kids what they should’ve learned in high school… So many things that need to be fixed, starting with offering competitive salaries to educators so that we can attract talent to teach our children. Looking through my high school peers, the ones that went into education aren’t the ones who were exceptional students themselves or who had a profound passion for teaching. Rather, it was just an easy path for them as the bar was exceedingly low. 

• Like 1

Sadly our education system is so dysfunctional that much of college is actually remedial work aimed at teaching kids what they should’ve learned in high school… So many things that need to be fixed, starting with offering competitive salaries to educators so that we can attract talent to teach our children. Looking through my high school peers, the ones that went into education aren’t the ones who were exceptional students themselves or who had a profound passion for teaching. Rather, it was just an easy path for them as the bar was exceedingly low. 

100% the education level of population is the most important factor when it comes to a flourishing society.

It is a three part process though
1. Nuclear family needs to provide a secure and solid foundation that develops a sound moral base.
2. Education system needs to properly educate students to develop the critical thinking ability to function in adulthood.
3. Community as a whole needs to be designed to enable proper social/community skills.

In order for that process to succeed it requires one key ingredient that is rare these days in our country, personal responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Interesting . Our youngest , was a TA, she taught three accounting classes , while working on her masters and studying for and getting a 96 on the first part of the CPA exam all at the same time .

The feed back from her students was remarkable, they learned more from her then any professors, she made sure they knew the material etc.

I said maybe you should be a professor? 

she had zero interest,even though they don’t work very much , and she was good at it .

maybe 30 or so,years ago, Rochester went they pay them more route . It was a National story how this would change things , with such high pay it would surely attract better teachers . We’re now the worst district in the country , ok maybe second I’m not quite sure but we’re at the bottom .