Coyote Cover Scent

As I'm doing research and trying out to figure out predator hunting,  would it be wise to use some kind of scent around my caller and decoy. I'm thinking a rabbit smell or wildlife research coyote juice, or whatever. My thought is place it by the caller and if a dog comes downwind it will smell that and possibly hide my scent better?

I don’t believe that your scent will be hidden but perhaps it would distract them or tick em off enough with the right scent to still draw em in.  Didn’t order any yet but was looking at Texas raised predator death grip yesterday.   Will likely grab some to try.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I don’t believe that your scent will be hidden but perhaps it would distract them or tick em off enough with the right scent to still draw em in.  Didn’t order any yet but was looking at Texas raised predator death grip yesterday.   Will likely grab some to try.  

Interesting 

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

The scent wick can looks it would be easier and less chance of a mess. 

You wont beat a predators nose when you are out calling. I dont bother even trying. Having your setup right is way more important. Predators, especially coyotes, will circle downwind of the call most of the time. You just have to make sure that they need to break out into the open when they do, so you can take the shot before they bust you.

• Like 1

you could take a bath in the stuff and it wouldn't matter. if they smell any part of you they're going to turn and bolt. sometimes a pup in distress can stop them broadsided for just a second when they've covered some distance but they're gone. when i hunted them more the only time i've messed with scent is with steadier wind. placed scent up for the wind to catch it around 30 or so yards to each side of me. not to cover scent but to add to their verification they're after real prey or another coyote is going to beat them to it. brings them in hopefully a little more and gives you a little more time to make the shot before they wind you. seems they never turned on a dime by cut past taking a wider path. crap happens really fast even though they seem to on a light run in.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Team Hoyt said:

As I'm doing research and trying out to figure out predator hunting,  would it be wise to use some kind of scent around my caller and decoy. I'm thinking a rabbit smell or wildlife research coyote juice, or whatever.

Don't overthink predator hunting and feel you have to have all the "gadgets" to make you successful. While a cover scent might be helpful it is not a necessity. Regardless of the equipment you choose you need to know as much as you can about the critter(s) you choose to pursue.

Due to the fact there are predator hunters everywhere predators are a lot more educated and wary than they have ever been. In order to be successful you need be one step ahead of the other guy with knowledge not necessarily equipment.

18 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Didn’t order any yet but was looking at Texas raised predator death grip yesterday.   Will likely grab some to try.  

Predators Death Grip

• Authentic Coyote, Bobcat, Fox and other fur bearing animals
  • Infused 70/30 Coyote, Bobcat and Fox Urine that are infused with glands, and many natural musks and scents
  • Long lasting and weather resilient 
  • Gland oil, Urine and Food based
  • Freeze Proof!!!

Great for Trapping Warning: Do not spray on clothing or gear YOU WILL BE ATTACKED!!! Texas Raised Hunting Products, are not liable of any one being attacked when using our products In ways we have not approved of.

With a product warning like that how can you possibly go wrong:aikido:

Edited by Steve D
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

you could take a bath in the stuff and it wouldn't matter. if they smell any part of you they're going to turn and bolt. sometimes a pup in distress can stop them broadsided for just a second when they've covered some distance but they're gone. when i hunted them more the only time i've messed with scent is with steadier wind. placed scent up for the wind to catch it around 30 or so yards to each side of me. not to cover scent but to add to their verification they're after real prey or another coyote is going to beat them to it. brings them in hopefully a little more and gives you a little more time to make the shot before they wind you. seems they never turned on a dime by cut past taking a wider path. crap happens really fast even though they seem to on a light run in.

That's my thought not really a cover scent, but another trick to add to the call and decoy

On 1/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, dbHunterNY said:

you could take a bath in the stuff and it wouldn't matter. if they smell any part of you they're going to turn and bolt.

Coyotes are basically a wild dog with a sense of smell that is very similar and no different to that of the average domestic dog.

Having spent my entire life raising, training and hunting with various dog breeds I have seen first hand some pretty amazing feats of their scenting abilities which really can not be overstated. I have always been interested in the scientific side of a dog's scenting ability, I have studied their works extensively and have to go along with their findings 100%.

Scientists with experience in testing the scenting ability of dogs say that they can detect some, if not most, odors at concentrations of parts per trillion. WOW! This is so amazing it is almost beyond comprehension.

A quick example of what that huge sniffer sensitivity looks like. Let’s say you have a gram of a component of human sweat known as butyric acid. Surprisingly, humans are quite good at smelling this. If you let it evaporate in the space of a 10-story building, many of us would still be able to detect a faint scent upon entering the building. Not bad, for a human nose. But consider this: If you put the 135-square-mile city of Philadelphia under a 300-foot-high enclosure, evaporated the gram of butyric acid and let a dog in, the average dog would still be able to detect the odor.

As master wolfer Gary Strader says you can trick the Coyote's sight with concealment and camo, their hearing and ears can be tricked with expert calling, but you will never be able to trick their nose.

A side note, it is said that the Whitetail Deer has scenting ability that ranks right along side that of a Dog.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

Coyotes are basically a wild dog with a sense of smell that is very similar and no different to that of the average domestic dog.

Having spent my entire life raising, training and hunting with various dog breeds I have seen first hand some pretty amazing feats of their scenting abilities which really can not be overstated. I have always been interested in the scientific side of a dog's scenting ability, I have studied their works extensively and have to go along with their findings 100%.

Scientists with experience in testing the scenting ability of dogs say that they can detect some, if not most, odors at concentrations of parts per trillion. WOW! This is so amazing it is almost beyond comprehension.

A quick example of what that huge sniffer sensitivity looks like. Let’s say you have a gram of a component of human sweat known as butyric acid. Surprisingly, humans are quite good at smelling this. If you let it evaporate in the space of a 10-story building, many of us would still be able to detect a faint scent upon entering the building. Not bad, for a human nose. But consider this: If you put the 135-square-mile city of Philadelphia under a 300-foot-high enclosure, evaporated the gram of butyric acid and let a dog in, the average dog would still be able to detect the odor.

As master wolfer Gary Strader says you can trick the Coyote's sight with concealment and camo, their hearing and ears can be tricked with expert calling, but you will never be able to trick their nose.

A side note, it is said that the Whitetail Deer has scenting ability that ranks right along side that of a Dog.

Al

X2. I read somewhere (I think hunting public) the following analogy about a dog and deer's scent sense vs humans. We a person walks into a house with a freshly baked cake, we smell cake. When a dog smells it, it smells flour, eggs, vanilla extract, etc. So not only more sensitive but also able to discretely process combinations.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk