So called game changer

sbuff

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I retract this I guess, since the projectile is still loaded by the muzzle although you could probably put it in the breech first

If you listen to the video, they explain that the barrel has a shelf inside that the sabot and bullet sits on when you load it through the barrel. No way to breech load it.

This is how I envision it from their explanation

Untitled.jpg

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If you listen to the video, they explain that the barrel has a shelf inside that the sabot and bullet sits on when you load it through the barrel. No way to breech load it.

This is how I envision it from their explanation

Untitled.jpg

I cant see anything like that in mine but maybe it narrows a bit?

Just now, squirrelwhisperer said:

Ml seem like a PITA honestly. I understand if it is an only option or extends the season, but other than that....PITA

Not really. Up until rifle opened up in my area, I was using an Encore ML through all of gun season. I got so good with it, I even shot a deer twice with it before it went down. Ask @Culvercreek hunt club, he was a witness lol.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Ml seem like a PITA honestly. I understand if it is an only option or extends the season, but other than that....PITA

Jeremy is right.  Its a solution for a problem that really doesn't exist.  2 years ago I hunted the entire regular season with my ML.  No issues.  That year Pygmy borrowed it and two doe came in and both were harvested.  It takes a bit longer between shots but that's about it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Jeremy is right.  Its a solution for a problem that really doesn't exist.  2 years ago I hunted the entire regular season with my ML.  No issues.  That year Pygmy borrowed it and two doe came in and both were harvested.  It takes a bit longer between shots but that's about it.

See, I dont agree with that. It does solve the issue of the charge getting moist, which I have run into. When I hunted with my ML all the time, I would have to take care to keep it outside in the same temps overnight, etc when it still had a charge in it (remove primer at the end of the day) so that condensation from temp changes did not happen inside the barrel and cause the load to become moist. Despite my efforts, I had a misfire on my first ML buck due to a couple of days of wildly swinging temps, it would have cost me the deer if I wasnt pretty quick at reloading it.

With this new system, at the end of the day, you dont have to discharge the rifle or remove the bullet to keep the charge dry, you just open the breech and pull it out, leaving the bullet/sabot in place.

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Not really. Up until rifle opened up in my area, I was using an Encore ML through all of gun season. I got so good with it, I even shot a deer twice with it before it went down. Ask @Culvercreek hunt club, he was a witness lol.

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If it buys me more season or I have no choice for a particular portion of the season, I'm there. Just saying my Savage is awesome. So unless, for one of the reasons mentioned, in my mind, I can't justify the expense.  Not knocking those that like them in any way. My apologies if that's how I came across. Def not my intent. Just putting in my 2 cents. 

They say opinions are like a$$#ol3$, Everyone has one and they usually stink. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

See, I dont agree with that. It does solve the issue of the charge getting moist, which I have run into. When I hunted with my ML all the time, I would have to take care to keep it outside in the same temps overnight, etc when it still had a charge in it (remove primer at the end of the day) so that condensation from temp changes did not happen inside the barrel and cause the load to become moist. Despite my efforts, I had a misfire on my first ML buck due to a couple of days of wildly swinging temps, it would have cost me the deer if I wasnt pretty quick at reloading it.

With this new system, at the end of the day, you dont have to discharge the rifle or remove the bullet to keep the charge dry, you just open the breech and pull it out, leaving the bullet/sabot in place.

Honestly John, I have never had a misfire but to each his own.  Maybe the BH209 is less susceptible to the temp swings and condensation.  I even bring my gun in the house after every hunt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Honestly John, I have never had a misfire but to each his own.  Maybe the BH209 is less susceptible to the temp swings and condensation.  I even bring my gun in the house after every hunt.

I use BH209, always have. I will say that I only had that happen once in 3 or 4 years of hunting exclusively with my ML, but it can and does happen, sometimes at the critical moment.

Would I use one of these new setups? Probably not. Its more important for me to be able to fine tune my load and live with the small chance of having a misfire.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I believe BH209 is hydrophobic so it would be much lesss suseptible to temp swings and condensation, but I believe it can still happen

• Like 1

Just now, ATbuckhunter said:

I believe BH209 is hydrophobic so it would be much lesss suseptible to temp swings and condensation, but I believe it can still happen

The magnum primers and 209 have always gone bang for me and I don't worry about keeping the gun in the cold, but I am sure you are right. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

The magnum primers and 209 have always gone bang for me and I don't worry about keeping the gun in the cold, but I am sure you are right. 

Man I cant wait to swtich to BH209 lol. Ive kept my gun in the car since monday because theres a charge still in (no primer of course). 

• Like 1

Okay, I am at least a bit interested. I love my muzzleloading, and my preference is my Lyman Great Plains rifle with round ball. That said, even with my TC inline, it is a royal PIA to pull the breech plug and clean...really, I think the old fashioned soap and water is easier in the Lyman. 

With this, you can remove the powder charge in between and easily knock the projectile out. I am not sure if the Firesticks are a one time use thing coming preloaded or if they are reuseable. I wouldnt be interested if one time use, would be if reuseable.

28 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Okay, I am at least a bit interested. I love my muzzleloading, and my preference is my Lyman Great Plains rifle with round ball. That said, even with my TC inline, it is a royal PIA to pull the breech plug and clean...really, I think the old fashioned soap and water is easier in the Lyman. 

With this, you can remove the powder charge in between and easily knock the projectile out. I am not sure if the Firesticks are a one time use thing coming preloaded or if they are reuseable. I wouldnt be interested if one time use, would be if reuseable.

One time use. Also remember, you can only use them in a rifle designed for them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

One time meaning even if not fired but removed following a hunt that it can’t be used again?

Not from what Ive read and seen in the videos. One time use as in once you fire it, its done and cant be reloaded. After a hunt you can take it out, put it in your bag and then use it again on your next hunt.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, airedale said:

No appeal at all for me, growing up watching Disney's Davey Crockett, TVs Daniel Boone and movies like Jeremiah Johnson I got the bug to hunt with traditional muzzleloaders because I like the challenge of those old sidelock type rifles, seems like everything has to be easier these days or it ain't worth the time messing with. I do allow for the luxury of percussion caps  for more positive ignition over a flintlock.

Al

hard balance. same can be said of the recurve vs compound.

On one hand I'm totally with you on a little challenge and that's ultimately how I feel. On the other, we are losing numbers like crazy and like it or not, there's already a huge barrier to entry for hunters and thus emerges cheap and efficient smoke poles and the crossbow.

5 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

agreed, i had a bit of a hang fire this year that I attribute to it pooring rain the day before and then snowing sideways the day of. tape on the barrel and everything, but agree that this does offer a nice solution to wet powder... only concern I'd have about the gun is what happens if they change the design or stop making the loads...

• Like 1