Catskill Grouse

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm looking for advice on Grouse hunting up in the catskills.  I've been going to a few spots around Oneonta but have only seen one bird so far. Are they just that scarce?  I go out with my 1.5 year old Vizsla who obviously hasn't been on a wild bird yet.  She has come a long way on state stocked birds as well as at the preserve so I trust her instincts and ability to find birds.  Now that winter is upon us are grouse still dwelling on the ground or up in the trees?  Thanks for any input. 

15 hours ago, RHarte said:

Good afternoon everyone.  I'm looking for advice on Grouse hunting up in the catskills.  I've been going to a few spots around Oneonta but have only seen one bird so far. Are they just that scarce?  I go out with my 1.5 year old Vizsla who obviously hasn't been on a wild bird yet.  She has come a long way on state stocked birds as well as at the preserve so I trust her instincts and ability to find birds.  Now that winter is upon us are grouse still dwelling on the ground or up in the trees?  Thanks for any input. 

4 to 5 year old clear.cuts and Aspen/poplar stands. The proper habitat is key for grouse 

If snow is deep enough will be on ground under snow and will go up into trees to eat buds and catkins. I never hunt early for grouse in winter as they dont seem to be out and about till later am.amd disappear by mid afternoon

This time of year, Grouse are where the food is.  If you know what they're eating, you will find them.  The best days now are when the sun is shining and there is no wind.  When the temps rise above freezing, the grouse become more active.  The depth of the snow here in Delaware County currently isn't a factor.  Look for them to be on the ground under pine trees with low branches that offer them cover, warmth and less snow on the ground.  Hunting alone for them is tough, as they are going to flush out the other side of the pine tree when you approach, not offering you a shot.

The grouse numbers seem to be down this year too.  I'm seeing far less than I was seeing the last couple of years.

BTW, I had a Vizsla years ago and also hunted pheasant over my friend's Vizsla many times.  They are great bird dogs and will find grouse for you if they are there.

An article I recently read has the NY Grouse population on the low side right now, factors like weather during nesting, habitat loss, predators and raptors all take a toll. Hopefully things will make a turn for the better.

Some of the best places to find Grouse are in abandoned old overgrown apple orchards especially if they are laced with underbrush and briar patches. Along small creeks meandering through thick cover is another good place to check out. Most times when I am hunting this type of cover I am after Cottontail Rabbits, the Grouse seem to prefer this cover also and are a nice side benefit to the Rabbit hunt.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Google earth can give you some likely spots to check out, but only hunting those spots will give you the facts.  Try different places as often as you can.  Exploring new coverts is part of what grouse hunting is all about.  Most serious grouse hunters guard their best coverts with a vengeance.  If anyone ever shows you one of their prized coverts, be forever grateful.

I'll give you a tip on an area I used to hunt often and find plenty of birds.  There is an area known as "Doonan's Corner" in the Bloomville town lands.  Lots of open farmland with woods edges and pine groves there.  Farmers are also pretty agreeable towards bird hunters.  A bottle of VO will often gain their respect too.  It's not far from Oneonta. 

Take 23 East to Davenport Center, turn south (right) on Hwy 10 to East Meredith.  Take Rte 12 (left) to intersection of Hwy 33.  Start at the intersection of County Hwy 33 and County Rte 12.  That's Doonan"s Corner.  You can also look into hunting along North Road which is the left turn at the intersection of 12 and 33.  Good Luck.

Edited by Rattler

21 hours ago, airedale said:

An article I recently read has the NY Grouse population on the low side right now, factors like weather during nesting, habitat loss, predators and raptors all take a toll. Hopefully things will make a turn for the better.

Some of the best places to find Grouse are in abandoned old overgrown apple orchards especially if they are laced with underbrush and briar patches. Along small creeks meandering through thick cover is another good place to check out. Most times when I am hunting this type of cover I am after Cottontail Rabbits, the Grouse seem to prefer this cover also and are a nice side benefit to the Rabbit hunt.

Al

+1 Old orchards...multiflora rose, cherries and wild grapes with tangled vines over downed trees helps if mixed with pine stands.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Never hunted that area or know what the population is but in the north we could always find them in the juniper bushes. Junipers are common up there, the grouse love to eat the berries, and they provide excellent cover. When the snow gets deep the rabbits love to snuggle up in them to.

I have never had much luck finding juniper bushes in this part of the state or know if they are in your area but if you can find them it is a good place to start.

junipers.jpg

Edited by Steve D

On 1/23/2020 at 7:00 AM, Rattler said:

Google earth can give you some likely spots to check out, but only hunting those spots will give you the facts.  Try different places as often as you can.  Exploring new coverts is part of what grouse hunting is all about.  Most serious grouse hunters guard their best coverts with a vengeance.  If anyone ever shows you one of their prized coverts, be forever grateful.

I'll give you a tip on an area I used to hunt often and find plenty of birds.  There is an area known as "Doonan's Corner" in the Bloomville town lands.  Lots of open farmland with woods edges and pine groves there.  Farmers are also pretty agreeable towards bird hunters.  A bottle of VO will often gain their respect too.  It's not far from Oneonta. 

Take 23 East to Davenport Center, turn south (right) on Hwy 10 to East Meredith.  Take Rte 12 (left) to intersection of Hwy 33.  Start at the intersection of County Hwy 33 and County Rte 12.  That's Doonan"s Corner.  You can also look into hunting along North Road which is the left turn at the intersection of 12 and 33.  Good Luck.

Thanks for the info!  On onx hunt it looks like that is all private land, guess I could knock on doors?  I also found a spot called Pharsalia State Forest just north west of Oneonta that I might focus on.  

Stop by the farm homes that look to have likely grouse habitat.  Talk up the farmer and if he says you can hunt, ask what parts of his land holds grouse.  He will know.  Be sure to get info on the property boundaries and then give him the bottle of VO in thanks.  

This time of year the farmers are more friendly and willing to allow bird hunters access to their land.  By showing them you appreciate their permission to hunt with the gift, they will welcome you back anytime you want to hunt.

Go straight on Hwy 33 and on the left about 1/2 mile, the big dairy farm with the milking barn on the land, just down from the old church on the hill and at the next right turn on Hwy 33 (Braehead Rd), belonged to a man named Ken Awl years ago.  He may not be with us anymore, but his family might still own it.  They always allowed us to hunt and they always looked forward to that bottle every year too.  The trailer across from the milking barn belonged to my friend and we used to stay in it when hunting.  It has a new owner now. 

If the Awl's still own the farm, tell them you were referred by the guys who used to hunt out of that trailer.  The trailer owner's name was Kalman Lavort.  That may earn you some trust.  The back woods of that farm always had lots of grouse.

Edited by Rattler