Field Dressing Preference - Do you split them?

monahmat

I've been reading some of the recent knife threads and it has me curious about people's field dressing preferences.  I was taught to cut the trachea and esophagus as high as possible so I always split the breastbone.  I use a small Gerber vitals saw and feel it's 2-3 additional minutes that make the rest of the process much easier.  I know others cut the pelvis as well.  What is everyone's preference?

Edited by monahmat

I don't cut the pelvis and usually only cut as far up the chest as long as my knife will allow and then reach the rest of the way up to cut the trachea and esophagus. It's usually a bloody mess, so I may have to try a small saw blade to get a little higher. 

For the other end, I just cut around the "orfices" and pull them through. That's the way I learned to do it, and I've never thought to try anything different. 

• Like 2

I have always just cut up to the breast bone and never split pelvis area. For me the esophagus was always the largest annoyance because you are literally elbow deep trying to cut it as high as possible. After recently talking to Treeguy I think I am going to pick up one of those Gerber saw's and split the breast bone. Even if it takes 2-3 min more to do that I bet I shave at least that much time off cutting the esophagus and the diaphragm with all the extra room created. 

• Like 1

i don't i open up cavity to the beast bone and diaphragm then stop with the deer on it's back. cut diaphragm out and dump the over to remove most of the blood. in the rear i follow the pelvic bone opening and cut out around butt hole, tie off, and then pull through. x2 for a doe. also when i remove genitals or udder i leave as much hide as possible on bottom round/hams. this way seems to expose less meat with less potential to get leaves, dirty, and debris in the cavity when hauling or dragging the deer out. also means i don't need to carry a saw and i don't get bone dust all over inside from sawing away at things.

forgot...insert step of reaching up to grab trach and esophagus with one hand. index finger on blade spine and cut free with the other as high up as you can. when i get it back i remove the rest as soon as i can. source of bacteria.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 2

No need to split the pelvis or sternum. A long thin blade allows cutting around the rectum to easily pull through, and I can blindly reach up to the top of the chest cavity to separate the esoghagus, etc.  I prefer to hunt cool weather, so with a stick or two to prop open the carcass it cools fine. As well the carcass does a pretty good job of partially enclosing itself to keep garbae out. Especially when opening the pelvis, the legs flop all over, and the chest can act like a scoop.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I have always just cut up to the breast bone and never split pelvis area. For me the esophagus was always the largest annoyance because you are literally elbow deep trying to cut it as high as possible. After recently talking to Treeguy I think I am going to pick up one of those Gerber saw's and split the breast bone. Even if it takes 2-3 min more to do that I bet I shave at least that much time off cutting the esophagus and the diaphragm with all the extra room created. 

I split the breast bone if I am not mounting. There is no need whatsoever to carry a saw to do this. once you learn how to find the cartilage on the side of the breast bone it splits open easily with just a knife.  I have never seen a  need to split the pelvis. the intestines, colon and bladder are easily accessible without doing it. I debone while hanging on the gambrel and with a spit pelvis it is a pain. 

• Like 5

Has anybody ever successfully field dressed  a deer with those disposable gloves using the latex over the long plastic ones and not still got blood all over their hands ? They definitely help though and a quick wipe on the pants and good to go 

I’ve used those kits they are great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess I'll build off this question, how many field dress in the field? I don't think I have ever field dressed in the field, but I've only hunted areas that allow for a short drag to a spot that can be accessed by a truck or ATV. 

My preference is to dress them hanging (if possible) or on a truck tailgate. Either way, I always get somewhere that I have access to water and a place to dispose of waste. 

1 minute ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I guess I'll build off this question, how many field dress in the field? I don't think I have ever field dressed in the field, but I've only hunted areas that allow for a short drag to a spot that can be accessed by a truck or ATV. 

My preference is to dress them hanging (if possible) or on a truck tailgate. Either way, I always get somewhere that I have access to water and a place to dispose of waste. 

I think it would be a bigger problem disposing intestines nearer to a dwelling than leaving them in the woods for the scavengers to take care of.

• Like 1

Just now, steve863 said:

I think it would be a bigger problem disposing intestines nearer to a dwelling than leaving them in the woods for the scavengers to take care of.

We would always take them to the shop, and they'd either end up in a backhoe bucket and get buried, or tied up in a trash bag in the dumpster.

11 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Has anybody ever successfully field dressed  a deer with those disposable gloves using the latex over the long plastic ones and not still got blood all over their hands ? They definitely help though and a quick wipe on the pants and good to go 

using the long plastic ones by themselves is useless can't hang onto anything. hard to get the latex ones over them without tearing at base of fingers. i just use latex (actually food grade heavy vynl gloves) and then baby wipes to wipe off the little bit on my arms from reaching in. everything goes into a ziploc bag i take with me. i'm clean enough to go out to eat right after.

I have completely revamped my field dressing program over the last few years....

Use the kits with gloves, always made fun of those that did (till I did it once )

Bucks that will go to taxi get cut to the sternum and pelvis gets cut

Does get pelvis and ribcage cut out.

Cut the diaphragm and a few extra hanging pieces, cut out the butt and everything comes out as a nice package.

This video is perfect

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I go way up the brisket and also split the pelvis, with a saw. I actually make two cuts in the pelvis and remove a 1” section so I can get everything clean. It takes no time at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

X2