Field Dressing Preference - Do you split them?

monahmat

1 hour ago, DanD said:

I also do not split the pelvis or rib cage. My arms are long enough that I usually just reach up and rip the esophagus out. I could care less how high I get it as long as it comes out.  

^^ this ^^

Now I used to split the pelvis because that’s how my dad showed me, but as I got older I found it way easier to cut around the poop  shoot. This was after I broke the tip of my Buck 110 folder trying to split a pelvis ..

Edited by rob-c

Gloves are good for 2 reasons, clean the deer, then when done grab the heart and take them of inside out and heart is wrapped in the glove like a bag.  I run up the rib cage but dont split the pelvis.  I once shot two deer on opening day and my buddy asks what he could do.   So asked him to go get the cart and before he got back had them both gutted and was waiting.  If I had an electric knife i wouldve filleted them too!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, rob-c said:

^^ this ^^

Now I used to split the pelvis because that’s how my dad showed me, but as I got older I found it way easier to cut around the poop  shoot. This was after I broke the tip of my Buck 110 folder trying to split a pelvis ..

I have a bone saw on my havalon ,it takes 30 seconds to make 2 cuts in the pelvis. I cut around the BH before anything and it comes out as a package deal.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

I don't know how many times I have cleaned up people gloves and wipes they leave next to the gut pile . Ugh it is gross 

I pull them off like a sock and tuck the one inside the other and stuff them into my backpack until a few days later I remember as our dog snuck downstairs smelling my backpack trying to get into it. I put my folding knife in that ball of gloves too .And then open knife and put into dishwaher only to hear my wife say ugh, not again ?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

There is no need whatsoever to carry a saw to do this. once you learn how to find the cartilage on the side of the breast bone it splits open easily with just a knife.  

I've seen this done in videos and tried to do it myself but no luck.  I guess I'll need to keep trying or see if I can watch someone give it a go first hand.  Until then I'll stick with the saw.

48 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I have a bone saw on my havalon ,it takes 30 seconds to make 2 cuts in the pelvis. I cut around the BH before anything and it comes out as a package deal.

I'll have to check that out.  I carry a Havalon Piranta and the Gerber vitals saw.  I didn't realize there was a Havalon that would cover both needs.

I took the elbow high gloves out of the bag once and realized right away they wouldn't work for me.  I think that's one benefit of splitting the rib cage is it's a lot cleaner task.  I just wear a pair of latex gloves and never manage to get any blood past my wrist.  

13 minutes ago, monahmat said:

I'll have to check that out.  I carry a Havalon Piranta and the Gerber vitals saw.  I didn't realize there was a Havalon that would cover both needs.

I took the elbow high gloves out of the bag once and realized right away they wouldn't work for me.  I think that's one benefit of splitting the rib cage is it's a lot cleaner task.  I just wear a pair of latex gloves and never manage to get any blood past my wrist.  

I think the one i have is the baracuta,i has all the blades and knife in one holster . 

I only use the gloves on Long Island, just to try and keep as many ticks off me as possible.  I never split anything like a few here, it is a wast of time IMO.   Takes about 5 min when done right, less if your good more if your enjoying the moment!  lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, monahmat said:

There is no need to cut the hide or do anything special. You can feel the round lobe of the bottom of the sternum with your fingers. standing over the stomach area and facing the head, put your knife, tip down on a 45 degree angle and blade forward on one side or the other right next to that lobe. double handed with 3 upward strokes (more like brute slashes)  and you are at the neck and totally through the rib cage.  You'l know right away if you aren't following the correct line because you won't be able to pull it through the solid bone. We probably don't do enough videos of thing on this site. Maybe if I have someone with me next bow season I'll have them video the process I use. Others should do the same. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do any of this, including butchering. It's just the way that we are each comfortable with and what we probably grew up or got into the sport learning. 

• Like 6

I have never used gloves , to me they just get in the way. I have a stream and just wash up after I’m done. I don’t break the ribs or rear end, I just reach up (long arms) and cut the throat and pull out the heart. Depending on the time, usually if it’s dark out I’ll just gut  the deer back at camp, if early enough just gut  them where they lay.

I don’t remove the chest organs until I get home also leave the liver inside, just cut the diaphragm and peal out dump the guts and blood (good clean lung blood I will use to rinse the cavity if the guts were nicked) and then tie off the hoses...ready to drag.

The rest gets done once it’s hanging upside down in the shed on a winch prior to the skin job all within a few hours of the harvest.

x2 washing myself up in nearby water

Edited by OtiscoPaul

I never split the pelvis or cut up the sternum. It just opens up more access for contamination. If you shoot big enough deer it's easy to reach up and cut off windpipe and esophagus lol. The only time I would even consider it is if the temp was real high and I needed to cool quicker. On does make sure to cut out the complete milk sack as it holds heat and spoils quick.

I don't use gloves and almost always gut where they drop unless a landowner requests different.

There is no need to cut the hide or do anything special. You can feel the round lobe of the bottom of the sternum with your fingers. standing over the stomach area and facing the head, put your knife, tip down on a 45 degree angle and blade forward on one side or the other right next to that lobe. double handed with 3 upward strokes (more like brute slashes)  and you are at the neck and totally through the rib cage.  You'l know right away if you aren't following the correct line because you won't be able to pull it through the solid bone. We probably don't do enough videos of thing on this site. Maybe if I have someone with me next bow season I'll have them video the process I use. Others should do the same. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do any of this, including butchering. It's just the way that we are each comfortable with and what we probably grew up or got into the sport learning. 

I look forward to seeing that instructional video. I can picture the area you are talking about just cant imagine it’s that easy to cut. This could be a true game changer and remove the hardest part for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'll build off this question, how many field dress in the field? I don't think I have ever field dressed in the field, but I've only hunted areas that allow for a short drag to a spot that can be accessed by a truck or ATV. 
My preference is to dress them hanging (if possible) or on a truck tailgate. Either way, I always get somewhere that I have access to water and a place to dispose of waste. 

Always in the field. Exact location does depend on what I have to drag through but always in the woods or an open field. The critters will have the remains cleaned up pretty fast.

Gloves, butt out tool or cut around A-hole-zip tie the top op shoot so no nuggets drop out when I pull it through opening where gut set al get pulled out. Not splitting of pelvis but rip that thing open to the neck. Regular knife(3” benchmade”) does the ribs.
Done where it lies-well usually away from any heavy runs.

I drag the deer to a clear level spot, and start with the butt-out.  Next, cut thru shallow from rear to sternum taking care not to puncture the gut(s).  Pull out all the stuff behind the diaphram, saving the liver in a gallon zip lock bag if it is a younger deer, along with the nuts.   Next, I cut thru the pelvis with a Gerber folding saw, and make double sure the pis-sack and all that stuff is cleared out.  Next, cut out the diaphram, remove lungs and save heart in zip-lock bag.  Use that fresh blood from forward of the diaphram (there is always plenty there) to rinse the inside of the back part, especially the tenderloins.   Those get eaten fast (usually for lunch, along with the oysters that day - see photo) so I go to extremes to make sure they are not tainted with any piss, crap, or gut-juice.  A fresh blood rinse does the job perfectly every time and any place. 

1452032711_oystersandfiletmignon.jpg.990b5de3b16224e9d743adcc2c842ed3.jpg

Edited by wolc123

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I go way up the brisket and also split the pelvis, with a saw. I actually make two cuts in the pelvis and remove a 1” section so I can get everything clean. It takes no time at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

X3.how i was taught and works for me!

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Has anybody ever successfully field dressed  a deer with those disposable gloves using the latex over the long plastic ones and not still got blood all over their hands ? They definitely help though and a quick wipe on the pants and good to go 

I saved the orange bags that the newspaper came in during wet weather. I slip it over my arm and poke my gloved fingers through.  That helps keep mess down, and it's cheap. I found latex gloves that cover wrist. Those help, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monahmat said:

I've seen this done in videos and tried to do it myself but no luck.  I guess I'll need to keep trying or see if I can watch someone give it a go first hand.  Until then I'll stick with the saw.

i don't bother anymore but have done this with a $5 lansky pocket folding knife. just have to be in the right spot, not on bone but in cartilage.

4 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

I don't know how many times I have cleaned up people gloves and wipes they leave next to the gut pile . Ugh it is gross 

gloves i take with me. wipes i use are the flushable, septic safe kind, that breakdown fast made by Scott. not your normal wipes that should be thrown in the trash.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Hopefully I get a chance to try it again this fall.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Like 1