Field Dressing Preference - Do you split them?

monahmat

Nope. First I use the butt-out tool. If you don't have one, get one. Cheap and easy.  A couple of twists and the entire intestinal tract/anus comes out.  I cut that off, toss it aside. Then I cut an incision carefully above the sex organs or udders...I pull away the skin to make sure not to puncture the stomach. Once I'm inside the cavity, i continue to cup upward with the blade facing me.  I stop right at the sternum.  I reach in, pull all the stomach and intestines out.  Then I yank the liver out.  Sometimes some cowl fat needs to be cut away.  Then I yank/cut away at the diaphragm. Once that's out, I reach up into the chest cavity and cut the esophagus...hold it in one hand, knife in the other. And the lungs and heart come out together.  It takes about 3-5 minutes usually.  I also usually turn the deer over to let some blood drain out to the extent that I can.

I leave the guts where they are in the field.  I bring my deer to a processor.  I've never had an issue with tainted meat.

• Like 1

Some of you really over complicate this stuff. Cut around the brown eye then from sternum down about a ft or so reach up cut esophagus, trim any hangy bits, dump guts and away I go. Don’t want a big hole for crap to get in during the drag.

Yes I use shoulder gloves but always throw away the stretch ones that come in the pack, they’re useless and added weight and bulk that’s not needed. Couldn’t imagine carrying a saw and/or an ass tool. All you need is a sharper nice with a 2-2.5” blade.

Whole process shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Some of you really over complicate this stuff. Cut around the brown eye then from sternum down about a ft or so reach up cut esophagus, trim any hangy bits, dump guts and away I go. Don’t want a big hole for crap to get in during the drag.

Yes I use shoulder gloves but always throw away the stretch ones that come in the pack, they’re useless and added weight and bulk that’s not needed. Couldn’t imagine carrying a saw and/or an ass tool. All you need is a sharper nice with a 2-2.5” blade.

I'm curious which rubber gloves you got ahold of that add extra weight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are the Indy car of hunting. Shedding rubber gloves to save weight is hard core !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are you talking about chain mail gloves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I've used a butt out once and they do indeed make the job easier and quicker, but I'm with you that it's not worth the extra bulk in my pack. I guess it depends on the hunter, and how far you're hiking and what you're already hefting with you on the value of the tool.

I agree that it's not complicated, but if you were to actually describe the process to someone who has never done it before, there's a little more too it. 

Another good tip is to cut with the chest hair, not against it to greatly decrease the amount that enters the cavity.

10 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm curious which rubber gloves you got ahold of that add extra weight. 

i'm pretty sure he's talking the latex wrist length gloves that come with the shoulder glove packs, which is kind of funny considering I doubt they weigh an ounce and take very minimal space. I do agree though that they're not a lot of value, I keep them though as being out in the woods can get dicey and you never know when you might need to mcgiver something and need those. 

• Like 1

Everything done in the field is quick and minimal to remove some weight prior to the drag out, I just want the guts and blood out, the liver and heart bagged along with some cooling. When I get them home and pulled up on the hoist is when I finish up and do the fine detailing prior to the actual butchering. 

I love the way a Wyoming knife unzips them and also for skinning but not so much for the innards and butt, so I carry and use my old two blade Western most of the time.

Al

Edited by airedale

I'm surprised by the number of people that say opening the chest will result in a cavity full of debris.  I've never run into this issue.  I throw a rope around the antlers or neck and the deer drags on it's side.  Occasionally a may get a couple leaves or a twig in there but nothing I would call problematic or contaminating.  

4 hours ago, Belo said:

I've used a butt out once and they do indeed make the job easier and quicker, but I'm with you that it's not worth the extra bulk in my pack.

Just thinking about that tool makes my sphincter cringe. I couldn't imagine a more vicious or violent thing to do, even if the animal is dead. Same thing with eating the balls, can't do it. 

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I never liked using a GutHook blade . Several years ago I bought a Gerber Metolius E_Z Open fixed blade knife. It's like using a zipper to open the deer up . No chance of cutting into the intestines . 

https://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Metolius-E-Z-Open-30-000012.php

I use the outdoor edge. Great design. I used to use a drop point with 2 fingers. This was my "game changer" lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, monahmat said:

I'm surprised by the number of people that say opening the chest will result in a cavity full of debris.  I've never run into this issue.  I throw a rope around the antlers or neck and the deer drags on it's side.  Occasionally a may get a couple leaves or a twig in there but nothing I would call problematic or contaminating.  

I have dragged some deer for 4-5 hours they were shot so far back in. Through swamps and blow downs up and over and through and all kinds of shit. If you are hunting those pretty, manicured and mowed trailed pieces I get ya. Still no reason to split them like a spatchcock chicken either except if you really need to cool them down.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I have dragged some deer for 4-5 hours they were shot so far back in. Through swamps and blow downs up and over and through and all kinds of shit. If you are hunting those pretty, manicured and mowed trailed pieces I get ya.

That's what I'm saying though.  I've dragged them a mile plus through heavy brush and blow downs and no issue.  Standing water I guess I can see the argument.  I'm wondering if you guys are dragging them by the hind legs? << That's a joke, or at least I hope it's a joke.

Edited by monahmat
  • Like 1

The woods on my SIL's property are usually flooded in the fall / winter . Dragging a deer would be bad news unless it could float . I was using a Toboggan sled but the sides weren't high enough for the water in the woods .

My son's bought me a Shappell Jet Sled .........

15SPPUJTSLDCMXXXXFIC_All_Terrain_Camo-1?wid=1080&fmt=jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

The woods on my SIL's property are usually flooded in the fall / winter . Dragging a deer would be bad news unless it could float . I was using a Toboggan sled but the sides weren't high enough for the water in the woods .

They float, I walked this one a couple hundred yards in a stream last year

image.png.2a119f7d02467143bdb4d6842716fb12.png

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

They float, I walked this one a couple hundred yards in a stream last year

image.png.2a119f7d02467143bdb4d6842716fb12.png

shot a big doe years ago and thought i was gonna drown with it for a minute.  Went across a fairly fast stream and dragging it thru the current it wanted to take the deer and me with it.  Dragged that thing from a long way back and got to my buddy who was hunting close to road.  I said - "couldve used some help - didnt you hear me shoot? "   He says yeah i thought you missed!  lol .   Well he was right for the first two shots.....  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, monahmat said:

That's what I'm saying though.  I've dragged them a mile plus through heavy brush and blow downs and no issue.  Standing water I guess I can see the argument.  I'm wondering if you guys are dragging them by the hind legs? << That's a joke, or at least I hope it's a joke.

it's been many a year since i did a drag where I didn't have a least a sled or cart. Even those hard plastic rollup sleds just make it that much easier. The only situation I can see where contamination is an issue and it happened to me once down south is swamp. There's not much you can do in a swamp but drag it through and there's no stopping that water. 

Edited by Belo

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

it's been many a year since i did a drag where I didn't have a least a sled or cart. Even those hard plastic rollup sleds just make it that much easier. The only situation I can see where contamination is an issue and it happened to me once down south is swamp. There's not much you can do in a swamp but drag it through and there's no stopping that water. 

I prefer to just back my wheeler up to it...lol

1 hour ago, monahmat said:

Are you recommending we DON'T drag by the hind legs lol

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

Can you float a deer in one of these? I usually don't have to worry about too much water, just curious. I have heard how much these help for dragging. Def on my list for next season or perhaps a wheeled cart. 

2 hours ago, monahmat said:

I guess why make a bigger hole than you need to? You only need a small 18 inch cut to gut a deer in 5 minutes. I'm gutting not butchering. You split that pelvis and the legs are more prone to flop open, it also tends to let the hair and skin slide  and expose quality meat up the hams. To each their own, I mean you can split it from chin to tail with a machete but why?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I guess why make a bigger hole than you need to? You only need a small 18 inch cut to gut a deer in 5 minutes. I'm gutting not butchering. You split that pelvis and the legs are more prone to flop open, it also tends to let the hair and skin slide  and expose quality meat up the hams. To each their own, I mean you can split it from chin to tail with a machete but why?

Agreed, why expose more than needed. If butchering sure, but if its cold out and you are dragging it out of the woods. Just get it done with the small cut, reach up in to get the esophagus  and keep it clean. A lot of times I will leave the heart in the cavity (with the protective sack on it) after I’ve gutted out the deer when I don’t have a bag to keep the heart in. If the gutting incision is too large you will lose that amazing piece of meat! Don’t leave the hearts it’s the best part!