Steuben county trying to become a 2nd amendment sanctuary county

rob-c

1 hour ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I'm still confused as to what these "2nd Amendment Sanctuaries" accomplish other than making a statement. I mean, are they even legally viable? I'm not going to shame anyone for supporting one, but I just don't get the goal...

The county law I enforcement will not enforce un constitutional gun laws... what will happen eventually is a case will have to be tried before supreme court ( thankfully trump is making it conservative) and hopefully all the gun laws we hate will be struck down as unconstitutional and removed.

• Like 1

I'm still confused as to what these "2nd Amendment Sanctuaries" accomplish other than making a statement. I mean, are they even legally viable? I'm not going to shame anyone for supporting one, but I just don't get the goal...

Are immigration Sanctuaries legal or constitutional? They are doing it though, in clear violation of federal laws.  What I think is important is that we are beginning to attack these people with their own tactics. 

• Like 2

similar to the states legalizing marijuana. Ultimately if the state or feds want to make a big enough deal about it, they can withhold funding, which is playing out right now with NY and the feds.

8 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Are immigration Sanctuaries legal or constitutional? They are doing it though, in clear violation of federal laws.  What I think is important is that we are beginning to attack these people with their own tactics. 

I'm not questioning whether they are legal, but legally viable? Is there anything "enforceable" about them? In other words, lets say that a county adopts "sanctuary" status, and then elect a sheriff or municipal law enforcement leader who goes against the sanctuary policies, are they breaking the law? Obviously, state law supersedes any local or county laws, so there's no protections for violations. It seems to me that these are just a way for supporters to voice their support, and political red meat for politicians looking for an easy check mark.

The Immigration Sanctuary Cities are a whole different bag of fruit, a lot of the work that federal agencies do are dependent on cooperation with local agencies. To the same point though, are there legal ramifications against say a social services agency who chooses to cooperate with federal authorities, I don't think there are...I think it's still just a statement.

It seems to me that more would be done by campaigning for elected officials who would protect rights rather than just having balloted statement, whether it be 2nd Amendment or Immigration Sanctuaries. Again, I'm not shaming anyone for getting behind it, you support what you support, and that is your business, I still just don't understand the point. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The county law I enforcement will not enforce un constitutional gun laws... what will happen eventually is a case will have to be tried before supreme court ( thankfully trump is making it conservative) and hopefully all the gun laws we hate will be struck down as unconstitutional and removed.

Who decides then what is "unconstitutional"? Do we elect Constitutional Scholars as Sheriffs and PD heads, and how do these "sanctuaries" make that work anyways? You're right, something would have to go to the Supreme Court, as is the Constitutional process, and judges would ideally make unbiased decisions based on their interpretation of the Constitution, which as we have seen (no matter how clear it is to you) is open to a lot of varied interpretation. 

However, here's hoping we as American's find ways to shape this working document that we know as the  Constitution of the United States to provide the freedoms and protections that our great country was founded. 

18 hours ago, rob-c said:

Found this add in the local shopper, hadn’t even heard that this was even being proposed. I’ll be adding my name to the petition as well as my wife and son. 

EC7F4E37-4908-4453-B59F-CDA5AD882708.jpeg

Just saw that this morning - wife and I will be signing for sure!

I joined the FB group which is showing 3,429 members already.

Rob, closer to us is Campbell Building Supply, and in Savona is Steuben Auto, Steuben Sporting Goods and the Flying H.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I'm not questioning whether they are legal, but legally viable? Is there anything "enforceable" about them? In other words, lets say that a county adopts "sanctuary" status, and then elect a sheriff or municipal law enforcement leader who goes against the sanctuary policies, are they breaking the law? Obviously, state law supersedes any local or county laws, so there's no protections for violations. It seems to me that these are just a way for supporters to voice their support, and political red meat for politicians looking for an easy check mark.

The Immigration Sanctuary Cities are a whole different bag of fruit, a lot of the work that federal agencies do are dependent on cooperation with local agencies. To the same point though, are there legal ramifications against say a social services agency who chooses to cooperate with federal authorities, I don't think there are...I think it's still just a statement.

It seems to me that more would be done by campaigning for elected officials who would protect rights rather than just having balloted statement, whether it be 2nd Amendment or Immigration Sanctuaries. Again, I'm not shaming anyone for getting behind it, you support what you support, and that is your business, I still just don't understand the point. 

I think we agree. I would have to say I support it solely because it makes a statement. I'm not sure in the end it would really have any legs to stand on.

• Like 1

Otsego and Delaware counties also have similar initiatives.  The ultimate goal is if enough counties enact this it should get enough politicians attention to re-consider the SAFE Act.  If it does pass in your county I wouldn't run out and bring home a non-compliant SAFE Act Firearm.  My guess is Sanctuary status will mean local and county police will turn a blind eye but I think the big boss man still has say over what the Troopers enforce.

It is a statement saying we’re tired of these idiotic gun laws.  Now I am sure if one had a AR that our king governor Cuomo  in his infinite wisdom deemed illegal and was caught using it in a illegal act they would be prosecuted. 
But If this passes and it takes traction with other county’s, it will be a strong message that they can’t ignore. 
It’s better than standing around with my hands in my pockets hoping it doesn’t get worse. 

• Like 1