Live from the stand 2011

WNYBuckHunter

I just got in...and so...so screwed up this morning :cry:had the second ever true buck fever...not the almost passing out....but my left knee started bouncing and my eyes started shaking back and forth....OH my god he had a big rack...after seeing nothing all week

So at 7:13 there was a shot very close by ..not bad one minute off....and I was already alert due to leaf noise in the distance... I see movement at 7:30 ....doe and then Mr heart attack and they are headed my way........ I was at the ready and he turned toward me so I did a little prayer... "please don't come in head on"...and he starts to bed...I considered shooting but knew I could wait...down he goes and head and vitals?...yep behind a big maple...they are 100yrds out...I let down some and I was fine at that point....then the doe decides to make a run for it and of course shes turned to head away...I'm up and ready when he pops up and I find and opening ...he enters and I shoot he jumps behind another tree and stands.....he pops out again...shoot....he turns and goes back and hides in the brush...150yrds...I'm watching him ...thinking what the he!!...I see in the binos I killed both maples and he's just standing there hanging out ...when I see the doe again and here she comes right where I'd shot...and she's move quartering away...and out he comes...well the binos have caught the rack...and all done!.....the lft knee is bouncing up and down and I'm thinking if it catches me I could knock my self out! :O ..With all my might I am working on settling down...he walks into another opening but there are a thin scattering of short maples...not thick...I shoot and they both just stand there....I was done....With shaky arms I lay the gun over my wildly bouncing legs and watch as they walked across our place and out of sight...an hour later I went and checked...yep that's going to hurt when we log.......checked every place he stood...no blood ...no hair....just kicked up dirt and slug trail in the dirt and holes in the trees....

Then I headed out to go to the shooting house and opened her up.... took off gear.... got a blanket and settled down watching the woods with my feet up...After a while I still hunted back to the house

Edited by growalot

Wow this hunt can not get any better, had a homless guy come in around 1 then left n came back in and now hes like knocking trees down. Whqt in the hell is he doing!? How is it my luck i want to see a mature buck n i see a mature hobo. Fml

So hot herething starting to heat up agian surounde buy small bucks chasing doe nose to ground not letting them out of sight,then a 130 class 8 point and 12 point star fighting 40 yards in front of me he is every bit of 150 can't shoot only quatering awy shot they are still at it just waiting hope they present a better shot

How hard is it to hunt an island, regardless of length

I dont get that question... Long island is prob bigger then some counties. Theres a ton of land out here. If you r insinuating its easy hunting u r mistaken by a long shot.

Too warm! Just got in, a long boring day of nothing happening. Didn't see or hear a thing moving all day. I sat till noon in the stand then very slowly still hunted over just to check a little area that I don't want to hunt till later in the season, nothing going on anywhere. I didn't hear a single shot in NY all day but I could hear the fellas in PA sighting in..!! (we are very close to the border, can look across the valley and see PA) Getting ready for their opener on Monday. Good luck to anyone that hunts PA!

The eye strain from looking at brown woods and brown goldenrod and beech brush all week is killing me!

Too warm! Just got in, a long boring day of nothing happening. Didn't see or hear a thing moving all day. I sat till noon in the stand then very slowly still hunted over just to check a little area that I don't want to hunt till later in the season, nothing going on anywhere. I didn't hear a single shot in NY all day but I could hear the fellas in PA sighting in..!! (we are very close to the border, can look across the valley and see PA) Getting ready for their opener on Monday. Good luck to anyone that hunts PA!

The eye strain from looking at brown woods and brown goldenrod and beech brush all week is killing me!

Not far from the Delaware river, what town do you hunt near?