What do you do with your Yotes?

Judgment Free Zone

If you leave them in the woods, I don't have anything against you. I've never really pursued anything I can't eat, use or display. Even the last few years I've been out for squirrels they go into the fryer. I've thought a european might be kind of neat... a diy rug or wall hanger looks like way too much effort and the cost seems kind of high to have it done... assuming it's a good coat.

And no, I'm not gonna eat it.

Am I missing anything?  

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

Judgment Free Zone

If you leave them in the woods, I don't have anything against you. I've never really pursued anything I can't eat, use or display. Even the last few years I've been out for squirrels they go into the fryer. I've thought a european might be kind of neat... a diy rug or wall hanger looks like way too much effort and the cost seems kind of high to have it done... assuming it's a good coat.

And no, I'm not gonna eat it.

Am I missing anything?  

I know of a guy that will skin and tan the hide for $50.  That’s the route I am going.   If it has mange, it’s staying put.  

• Like 1

Just now, moog5050 said:

I know of a guy that will skin and tan the hide for $50.  That’s the route I am going.   If it has mange, it’s staying put.  

For fox too?  I'm debating taking on the challenge of fox or coyote with a bow, but like I'd like to have a plan if I actually connect.

I have an uncle and a neighbor that will take any I shoot. They are trappers. As long as its not all shot to heck.

I am of the same mindset that I try my best to use whatever I take. Yotes, woodchucks and flippin chipmunks are my only exception.

I've eaten woodchuck many times, really not much different than a squirrel or rabbit, just bigger.

I draw the line at eating coyotes & foxes. I haven't worked up the nerve to eat an opossum or raccoon, but never say never.

I paid to tan the hides of the only fox & coyote I ever shot. I never got into trapping, I do realize that a lot of areas are over-run with them and they have to go, just not for me. I wouldn't think twice to shoot a coyote & let it lay if it came at me or my hunting dog.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

whenever i shoot a fox or coyote i asked around to those that trap or hunt them to see if the hide is wanted. many times a broadhead or deer caliber rifle was used. always end up with people saying no. just not worth the effort anymore and with the potential damage i guess. like this year i got a real nice blondish red female yote that likely weighed in the high 30's opening day of regular deer season. nobody wanted it.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

i watched some youtube videos... do you know what you're getting into lol?

Lol, I did a couple the old indian way when i was in my teens, And i dont slaughter them so as long as they dont rot, its a success to me lol. I have a couple friends who trap i can always donate fur to. 

44 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I've eaten woodchuck many times, really not much different than a squirrel or rabbit, just bigger.

I draw the line at eating coyotes & foxes. I haven't worked up the nerve to eat an opossum or raccoon, but never say never.

I paid to tan the hides of the only fox & coyote I ever shot. I never got into trapping, I do realize that a lot of areas are over-run with them and they have to go, just not for me. I wouldn't think twice to shoot a coyote & let it lay if it came at me or my hunting dog.

Ive been debating on trying coyote backstrap.. but the fact they eat guts and rotten schlit .. Makes it hard for me to try.. lol. But i would give it a try once, yes.. yes i will. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

If the fur is nice, Ill have them tanned. If theres any mange, they take a free flight into the bushes.

This.  My uncle tans some, sells some others.  He just got a nice reddish one a couple days ago he caught on a dead calf.  That mangy one I hammered on opening day of gun I left in "bait spot".  The only thing that would eat it was ravens the bald eagles.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Ive been debating on trying coyote backstrap.. but the fact they eat guts and rotten schlit .. Makes it hard for me to try.. lol. But i would give it a try once, yes.. yes i will. 

this right here. you are what you eat and there's a reason we dont eat other meat eaters.