Is Eli manning a hall of famer

cbyzerman

My opinion is he will get in on the manning name more than any other factor....  watching him play I never thought for a second he was a hof caliber qback and always thought he was a second tier qback at best. That was the subject on wfan today and it was probably  50/50 cut right in half  on callers votes.... Interested to hear your thoughts.......

• Like 1

He gets in. The stats line shows he is in. The near 500 record is the only thing holding him back outside perception. 

Data usually gives the overarching story. There's only a few two-time SB MVPs. He beat an undefeated team to win one, and he's top 10 in alot of valued categories.

He gets in.

How many teams would take him for the majority of his career as their starting QB over who they ran out there ? Is he flashy? No. Does he win? Yup. I bet he’s top 10(and for many years too 5-6) QB for most of his seasons.
He has the charisma and disposition of a sloth - don’t let that work against him.
He’s in on his own merits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he gets in but BARELY.  Stats and 2 Superbowl MVPs is a decent argument.

He's also done quite a lot of so little.

There was a recent article showing the phases of Eli's career relative to the Giants roster.  Whenever he had a decent offensive line and a #1 WR, Giants contented.

Phase one - Had Toomer and Shockey but no O-Line.  Didn't do that well.

Phase two - Got Plaxico.  Got David Dielh and Chris Snee to solidify the line.  Won superbowl

Phase three - Plaxico shot himself team went into tailspin.

Phase four - Rebuild WR with Cruz.  Won Super bowl again.

Phase five - Cruz blew out his knee.  Line got old.  Never drafted a single lineman in the first 3 rounds since taking Chris Snee then striking out with Flowers and and Pugh ruined Eli's career.  Sucked again for rest of career.

You can say anyone can win with a good offensive line and a number 1 WR but then you look at the Cowboys.  They have 3 pro-bowlers in the offensive line.  Each considered to be in the top 3 of their positions.  Amari Cooper and/or Jason Witten to go with Zeke Elliot and they haven't done squat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

I think he gets in but BARELY.  Stats and 2 Superbowl MVPs is a decent argument.

He's also done quite a lot of so little.

There was a recent article showing the phases of Eli's career relative to the Giants roster.  Whenever he had a decent offensive line and a #1 WR, Giants contented.

Phase one - Had Toomer and Shockey but no O-Line.  Didn't do that well.

Phase two - Got Plaxico.  Got David Dielh and Chris Snee to solidify the line.  Won superbowl

Phase three - Plaxico shot himself team went into tailspin.

Phase four - Rebuild WR with Cruz.  Won Super bowl again.

Phase five - Cruz blew out his knee.  Line got old.  Never drafted a single lineman in the first 3 rounds since taking Chris Snee then striking out with Flowers and and Pugh ruined Eli's career.  Sucked again for rest of career.

You can say anyone can win with a good offensive line and a number 1 WR but then you look at the Cowboys.  They have 3 pro-bowlers in the offensive line.  Each considered to be in the top 3 of their positions.  Amari Cooper and/or Jason Witten to go with Zeke Elliot and they haven't done squat.

I would not say he did quite alot with so litte....  Although he did play great in the playoff runs he was not great in the sbls even though he won MVP...  Justin Tuck should have won atleast one of those......  Kind of tired of hearing he beat  the undfeated Pats... That team almost lost both playoff games....  Not for a dropped TD  pass     and a shanked 27 yd fg they lose one of those games........

For most of his career, Eli was mediocre at best. But when he was on, and had protection, he could be Super! And without Tyree catching the ball with his head, there would only be one SB win.

He gets in. The two rings, and MVPs, along with his longevity and the Manning name, gets him to Canton.

For most of his career, Eli was mediocre at best. But when he was on, and had protection, he could be Super! And without Tyree catching the ball with his head, there would only be one SB win.
He gets in. The two rings, and MVPs, along with his longevity and the Manning name, gets him to Canton.

It takes two to make a great catch. Tyree doesn’t make that catch without Eli’s command of the offense and his little Houdini act.

• Like 2

I would not say he did quite alot with so litte....  Although he did play great in the playoff runs he was not great in the sbls even though he won MVP...  Justin Tuck should have won atleast one of those......  Kind of tired of hearing he beat  the undfeated Pats... That team almost lost both playoff games....  Not for a dropped TD  pass     and a shanked 27 yd fg they lose one of those games........

Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, and Kevin Boss did great catching passes from Eli. What did they do after they cashed in and left the Giants? Don’t let the fact that Kevin Boss had 2 straight years of 500+ receiving yards under Eli make you think he was a good receiving TE.

He’ll probably get in. But I don’t agree with it. To me a HOF is someone who was dominant for a stretch of time in their career. He never was. He never lead the league in anything. But his stats are a product of longevity. For the past 6-7 years Alex Smith has a better passer rating than Eli. He has been very mediocre for his entire regular season career. It’s a passing league so his spot in career lists like yards will fall over the years.

• Thanks 1

I am a Giants fan, huge Eli fan, and if Daniel Jones puts in the same career as Eli I would take it in a second. That being said, there were only two games I felt I was watching a Hall of Famer. Fortunately they were both Super Bowls (you could argue the game against the 49ers as well). Only five people have won two or more Super Bowl MVPs. Starr, Bradshaw and Montana are in the hall of fame, the fourth is Brady, so Manning probably gets in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If you had a crystal ball that told you that if you draft a particular QB, you team will lose every year but you’ll win 2 Superbowls. Every team but the Patriots would draft that WB in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

I think the PTI guys made an interesting point, even without the 2 superbowls and MVPs, the guy should get some serious credit for longevity. He's also top 10 in many categories, and while yes it's a new league and he played a long time, you still deserve credit for that.

the knock in my opinion is 16 years and only 6 playoff appearances. that batting average isn't great. 

13 hours ago, steve863 said:

Don't most decent quarterbacks who won a super bowl end up in the hall of fame, so why shouldn't Eli?  If Joe Namath is in the hall, Eli should be a shoe in.

Joe namath was the best qback in football for a five year stretch and set several records back in day... Eli was never even in the top 5....  And name another just decent qback that won sbl that is in hof.............