Looking for Private Property in Jefferson County

So my current hunting land is more than likely getting sold this summer and I am searching for a new property to hunt.  I am looking to stay within a 45 min of Watertown.  I am open to partnering with others on a lease or purchase.  I am a responsible hunter willing to put in the time and money to secure and improve some good land. 

Edited by JasonB

agree with virgil.......  Be careful and make sure you have good lawyer........  Can NOT trust anyone...  That being said there are a ton of properties on landandfarm.com

How many of those properties on landandfarm do you think are actively used? I wonder if those are good places to start for a “knock and ask” for permission. Your access may be short lived but it’s something...maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, crappyice said:

How many of those properties on landandfarm do you think are actively used? I wonder if those are good places to start for a “knock and ask” for permission. Your access may be short lived but it’s something...maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say probably close to 99 percent of those properties are being hunted on by current owners or hunted on by someone leasing........

• Like 2

I should have read this prior to posting, copied and pasted the majority of it from a hunting page for Wisconsin where Im originally from and I am looking for land to buy there for when I retire. I am only looking for a lease since I am in the Army and only stationed here for a short time. I've looked on several of the hunting lease pages and only found a handful of properties in Jefferson county, and given my job my hunting time is limited to the evenings and weekends so I don't want to have to drive a long way to hunt. Ive gone with the knock and as option around here and have gotten permission to hunt waterfowl but a lot of the landowners around here are pretty protective of their properties. With that said I am also looking for some places to hunt geese in the early season.

There is a ton of stateland in Lewis county which is not far outside of Watertown. Unfortunately there isnt a ton of deer.  Deer hunting is pretty tough up there although there is a decent bear take near croghan/Watson area.   Def would use the early muzzleloader season as an advantage.  I have family in Adams but they don't own enough land for hunting. For areas of decent deer numbers might want to look to the st. Lawrence county area as if I recall deer numbers are better there. I have also heard that fort drum itself has hunting opportunities there.  

For waterfowl or geese there are a lot of ponds in Lewis county that are public.  

My SIL has family that own farms in lowville area but also a large family that is big on hunting.  

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

There is a ton of stateland in Lewis county which is not far outside of Watertown. Unfortunately there isnt a ton of deer.  Deer hunting is pretty tough up there although there is a decent bear take near croghan/Watson area.   Def would use the early muzzleloader season as an advantage.  I have family in Adams but they don't own enough land for hunting. For areas of decent deer numbers might want to look to the st. Lawrence county area as if I recall deer numbers are better there. I have also heard that fort drum itself has hunting opportunities there.  

For waterfowl or geese there are a lot of ponds in Lewis county that are public.  

My SIL has family that own farms in lowville area but also a large family that is big on hunting.  

I live in 6a in St Lawrence county.  Deer #s are hit and miss. The state hasn't issued a dmp for the area in years.. There is a ton of state land around though and some phenominal duck hunting.

• 1 year later...

I have a 100 acre plot very close to fort drum I would be able to lease for hunting purposes.  Let me know if your still looking I would expect $20-$30 per acre depending on the amount of hunters for exclusive year round hunting .

Edited by Gerry
  • Like 1

I have a 100 acre plot very close to fort drum I would be able to lease for hunting purposes.  Let me know if your still looking I would expect $20-$30 per acre depending on the amount of hunters for exclusive year round hunting .
I might be interested in taking a look at the land if he has already got a place.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Fort Drum itself has thousands of acres open to hunting. From what I understand it is minimally hunted and has a great deer and turkey population. Have you explored that at all? Sure is close to you. Within 30 miles of Watertown there are probably a couple hundred thousand (not an exaggeration) acres of public land...some very productive. Drum itself offers a nice website on hunting/recreational opportunities to the public ( I have no idea what enrolled service members may have on top).

Also south of you is the Mad River River Club? They have a website, and have listed 17000 acres of owned and leased land in northern NY. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1