Anyone watch The Hunt on history channel

moog5050

It’s all about hunting brown bear on Kodiak Island.   It’s pretty crazy including some charging bears (one on a husband and wife and husband runs out of ammo).   Makes me realize how stupid my desire was to hunt one with a recurve.   Lol  Now I would want a fully automatic cannon.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

It’s all about hunting brown bear on Kodiak Island.   It’s pretty crazy including some charging bears (one on a husband and wife and husband runs out of ammo).   Makes me realize how stupid my desire was to hunt one with a recurve.   Lol  Now I would want a fully automatic cannon.  

I LOVED that show! Is it a new season? I think it was only one season....then disappeared.

i was born on the wrong side of the continent, and too far south. 

• Like 1

Just now, grampy said:

Sounds like something I'd watch. Haven't been watching much TV. What night is it on?

The series is on amazon prime now.  I watched 6 episodes the last few days.  It really does give you an idea of how dangerous hunting kodiak is.   One 24yr old girl hunted solo after her dad left and killed one with a muzzleloader but needed follow up shots.  A wife with her husband killed one that charged and it was the first animal ever that she shot.  One poor group was harassed by the guide because they were out of shape and then missed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

The series is on amazon prime now.  I watched 6 episodes the last few days.  It really does give you an idea of how dangerous hunting kodiak is.   One 24yr old girl hunted solo after her dad left and killed one with a muzzleloader but needed follow up shots.  A wife with her husband killed one that charged and it was the first animal ever that she shot.  One poor group was harassed by the guide because they were out of shape and then missed.  

I watched a couple of episodes. Hell of an ad for CVA and Kuiu.

Interesting show but the narration, music and sound FX were a little over the top. Made it hard for me to invest.

I didn't notice a single sidearm other than the one the native guide pulled out. Aren't they normally carried in Alaska? And how did that small woman drag a 1200 lb bear out of a creek and 10' up the bank?

Sounds interesting, but I lose interest in hunting shows very quickly if they are too...commercial. I have long dreamed of Kodiak Island, but I don't think I would hunt the bears. No problem with anyone else doing so, but I am just too much in awe of them. 

I also like "Meateater" which is on Netflix. It is the only hunting show that I make a point of watching. He isn't a trophy hunter, more and frequently the host isn't even the main hunter, Often it is a friend or family. I like the details and the respect for the animals shown, and NO sponsorship visible. 

11 hours ago, left field said:

I watched a couple of episodes. Hell of an ad for CVA and Kuiu.

Interesting show but the narration, music and sound FX were a little over the top. Made it hard for me to invest.

I didn't notice a single sidearm other than the one the native guide pulled out. Aren't they normally carried in Alaska? And how did that small woman drag a 1200 lb bear out of a creek and 10' up the bank?

most of the guides prefer spray. haven't seen the show, but maybe they're carrying spray.

Had to check it out.  Just watched the first two episodes.  While entertaining, I agree, the sounds effects and special effects are too much. 

They never explained why the one hunter they encountered was yelling for help on the second episode.  

There are a lot of bullshit teasers. Honestly, the editing, VFX, bumpers and the silly narration are terrible and make it difficult to follow the stories. And the first few hunters just aren't that compelling. I though the guy who "lost" his bear to the local hunter was practically mute. 

I think they're covering up for some less than compelling footage. Too bad, as it could have been a very slow burn. 

That said, I'll watch to the end.

wow you guys are tough.  I enjoyed it - yes it has its less than ideal content but still decent.  If nothing else, it made me realize how hiking though some of the dense brush where a 1000lb bear may be hiding would be a crazy rush and possibly terrifying at the same time.  And you sure as heck would not catch me hunting with a single shot gun there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, left field said:

I didn't see any spray. Would it really turn a charging Kodiak bear?

The bowhunter I saw was flanked by two guys with rifles. The single woman with the muzzleloader doesn't seem to have anything at her side. Maybe the camera crew was armed.

according to the meat eater guys who have been actively attacked, it works. They had a pretty cool interview from a woman researcher who was attacked and mauled too. She basically stated a gun wouldn't have worked and that the key to either gun or spray is access. It wont do you any good in a pack or a holster you can't easily access it while you're belly down or on your back. But back to spray, the thought is similar to a shotgun, you dont have to be very accurate and getting a shot off with a .44 while the grizzly is charging or has your head in its mouth is not going to be easy.

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

wow you guys are tough.  I enjoyed it - yes it has its less than ideal content but still decent.  If nothing else, it made me realize how hiking though some of the dense brush where a 1000lb bear may be hiding would be a crazy rush and possibly terrifying at the same time.  And you sure as heck would not catch me hunting with a single shot gun there.

I agree. I like it.  But the show would be just as enjoyable, and probably more so, if they focused on the hunt and the challenges, not adding in growing and shaking cameras. 

Thinking there's a lot of drama added that might not have ever happened.

Did that one guy even fall? Camera was one him, but you never seen him fall. Was there a bear in camp when the guide shot into the ground?  Maybe they were true, but not seeing what supposedly happened, makes one suspicious. 

2 minutes ago, mowin said:

I agree. I like it.  But the show would be just as enjoyable, and probably more so, if they focused on the hunt and the challenges, not adding in growing and shaking cameras. 

Did that one guy even fall? Camera was one him, but you never seen him fall. Was there a bear in camp when the guide shot into the ground?  Maybe they were true, but not seeing what supposedly happened, makes one suspicious. 

I'm sure they add in some additional "drama".  Hell, if a camera crew followed my hunts there would be lots of days of very boring footage.  

11 minutes ago, mowin said:

Bear in camp, fall etc. Some stuff doesn't really catch my attention.  But the footage of the actual hunts, the bears they killed and the terrain they are hunting (perhaps coupled with my own imagination) was really interesting.  I like the one where they are chasing big poppa only to learn in the end that he gave them the slip and they were now watching a sow and cubs.  lol  That would be a long hike for nada.

9 minutes ago, johnplav said:

I'm sure they add in some additional "drama".  Hell, if a camera crew followed my hunts there would be lots of days of very boring footage.  

OMG, if they followed me, they would die of boredom. 

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Bear in camp, fall etc. Some stuff doesn't really catch my attention.  But the footage of the actual hunts, the bears they killed and the terrain they are hunting (perhaps coupled with my own imagination) was really interesting.  I like the one where they are chasing big poppa only to learn in the end that he gave them the slip and they were now watching a sow and cubs.  lol  That would be a long hike for nada.

Love watching the bears. Especially the closer clips. Couldn't imagine being within 30 yrds of a 1000# bear that is more than capable of making a meal out of ya.  

I didn't realize they didn't take the meat. Just the hide and skull.  I imagine the hide weights a substantial amount.  I've lifted a few cow hides in my day after skinning, and I bet it's similar in weight. 

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Watching the episode with the husband and wife.  Guess it's her first hunt, but she needs to watch her muzzle. It was pointed at her husband's back several times. 

why would anyone take their wife on a first hunt for brown bear?   She probably wondered why the husband increased her life insurance weeks before the hunt.  I don't think I would want my wife or daughter to go on such a hunt no matter how much they liked hunting.  Really I don't think I would want any family member in a position to be eaten by a crazed bear, let alone assist/put them in a position to have that happen.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

saw one of the hunting shows - think it was an early Bone Collector where they had a bear come into the camp at night and one of the guys shot it with a pistol out of the tent flap.  

On 1/23/2020 at 6:30 PM, moog5050 said:

Got to do a dangerous game hunt; they're the best. Worth every bit of effort.

Fully automatic cannon.... Might as well get 2!

Can't wait to see those pics come over on a text !

I can't ever forget the video clip of the guys that get charged by the lion, where he almost catches the hunter with one of his massive mits. That had to be quite a thrill. As far as bears go, watching the revenant def changed my Outlook on bear hunting. Don't know if it was just the amazing screenplay or what, but that one also stuck with me.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1