pratice shooting at night

Got my head and kill lights all set up.My guns sighted in,but I never shot at night thru a scope with a red light.I've read about practicing using reflectors.Does anyone practice at night? Also when using a shotgun with no scope would the head light be all that's needed.

Just one opinion but shooting at night is no different than shooting during the day. If you can shoot during the day you should be able to shoot at night. It is a little bit different but good shooting form is most important and that can be achieved in the day time. The big thing at night is being able to see your target through the scope. Turn your light on, look through the scope at a target, (or reflector) and make sure you can see your cross hairs on the target.

As far as the shotgun...again my opinion; the headlamp will not work. If you have a headlamp on and looking down the barrel your head lamp will be shining to your right side if you are right handed and your left side if you are left handed. Try it and you will see what I mean. There are mounts for shotguns that a light can be mounted to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My problem with shooting at night is that that my cars headlights reflect funny off the pile of deer corn making me spill my beer on my scent lock pants. Once the deer smell that they are long gone. I never get a shot(except of the whiskey in the glove box).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

As mentioned above!

For your shotgun I would mount a red light under your barrel, something you can throw on fast with no or minimal movement, once in range and send the pain.

I will say however you plan to hunt (bipod/tripod) sightin the same way.. I sighted in off a bench .. shot yesterday to confirm zero for tonight's hunt.. and i was low and left 1.5"  .. Would have made some horrible shooting out past 100 yards.. 

• Like 1

My first shot at night ever will be on a live animal. I agree with steve in that I dont suspect it to be much different. Last night I sat on my porch with my shooting stick and unloaded gun and practiced looking through and using the gun light. I live in the burbs and I'm glad no neighbors came knocking haha.

• Like 1

This is my first time in years night hunting. We used a Q-beam light with a red taillight lens taped to it, if thats an indication how long ago it was...

Two things that I've learned with using today's LED lights.

1. If using a head lamp, make sure you turn it off or tilt it way up before looking through the scope.

2. Kill light on scope may not exactly line up zero'ed to your cross hairs. Test and tweek it before going out in the field.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

My problem with shooting at night is that that my cars headlights reflect funny off the pile of deer corn making me spill my beer on my scent lock pants. Once the deer smell that they are long gone. I never get a shot(except of the whiskey in the glove box).
emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kinda guy!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rachunter said:

Got my head and kill lights all set up.My guns sighted in,but I never shot at night thru a scope with a red light.I've read about practicing using reflectors.Does anyone practice at night? Also when using a shotgun with no scope would the head light be all that's needed.

Going out at night, to see how your lights work with the scope you have. And to get a better idea of what to expect, when lining up the shot, is a great idea I think. Shouldn't be a problem at all. But will give you a little more peace of mind and confidence. That's never a bad thing.

Come back to let us know how everything worked out for ya!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

As mentioned above!

For your shotgun I would mount a red light under your barrel, something you can throw on fast with no or minimal movement, once in range and send the pain.

I will say however you plan to hunt (bipod/tripod) sightin the same way.. I sighted in off a bench .. shot yesterday to confirm zero for tonight's hunt.. and i was low and left 1.5"  .. Would have made some horrible shooting out past 100 yards.. 

I picked up a vrl-1 kill light it has a pressure switch. It also came with a scope mount and shotgun mount.I've been shooting off a tripod all summer it took me a while to get use to but I got it now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Had the sherriffs called on me and a few buddies before yote season. Had them over at my place, we shot till 10pm. Then 3 friendly sherriffs walked over to make sure we were not drinking while shooting. Bullshitted with them for awhile and they went on thier way.

That's one of my concerns. I figured you guys with night scopes and thermals had to sight in at night?

22 hours ago, rachunter said:

That's one of my concerns. I figured you guys with night scopes and thermals had to sight in at night?

The digital nv scopes usually have a day mode. Thermal guys can use handwarmers on a target, or for precise shooting a heated up nail head.

As far as the cops showing up is wasnt a big deal. I even talked to a sherriff buddy that morning to see if he thought id have a issue. He just said dont do it to late.

• Like 2