Ar 10 ammo

Chef

What are you guys running through your AR10’s I took out the 308 today and ran two boxes of Hornady Superformance through it and the rifle absolutely hated it. Went and picked up some Hornady black and also some precision hunter. What has been working for you guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chef said:

What are you guys running through your AR10’s I took out the 308 today and ran two boxes of Hornady Superformance through it and the rifle absolutely hated it. Went and picked up some Hornady black and also some precision hunter. What has been working for you guys

The precision hunter seems to shoot well in every gun.  But what is your twist rate?  Weight may be factor in your choice.  

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

Twist rate is 1/10

You may want to try some of the heavier 308 rounds - 165-180.   You have the twist rate for it.   Not sure I buy that bullets can be overstabilized ruining accuracy but some believe it and 1/10 is definitely good for heavy bullets.  

ad I recall, my AR10 in 308 shot Winchester power max bonded in 180 pretty well.  

personally, I would not work with any rounds that are not suitable for hunting. Not sure if the black bullet construction is good for hunting but something to consider.  

You may want to try some of the heavier 308 rounds - 165-180.   You have the twist rate for it.   Not sure I buy that bullets can be overstabilized ruining accuracy but some believe it and 1/10 is definitely good for heavy bullets.  

ad I recall, my AR10 in 308 shot Winchester power max bonded in 180 pretty well.  

personally, I would not work with any rounds that are not suitable for hunting. Not sure if the black bullet construction is good for hunting but something to consider.  

Thanks I was thinking heavier myself. I was shooting a 165 grain superformance, I did have one box of gold dot 168 grain that the gun seemed to really like. The Amax bullet that comes on the black 308 should be good for coyotes.
I’m also excited to try the 178 grain eldx of the Percision Hunter

It is great that there is such  a variety of factory loads available...I am a handloader myself, but if I were not I am sure I could find a good load for  any of my rifles... As far as coyotes go, they don't care what you shoot them with....For bigger game  bullet performance is a bit more important, but I suspect nearly any .308 factory load would also do a good job on deer....

• Like 1

It is great that there is such  a variety of factory loads available...I am a handloader myself, but if I were not I am sure I could find a good load for  any of my rifles... As far as coyotes go, they don't care what you shoot them with....For bigger game  bullet performance is a bit more important, but I suspect nearly any .308 factory load would also do a good job on deer....

I agree with with you were saying, I really need to learn to handload. I just need the space to do it. I think I’m going to turn my office into a reloading room

1 minute ago, Chef said:

I agree with with you were saying, I really need to learn to handload. I just need the space to do it. I think I’m going to turn my office into a reloading room

You will never regret it, My Friend....It adds a whole dimension to your hunting, working up good loads for your rifles and then taking game with them... Two of the three rifles that I use the most have never had a factory load fired through them...The third  only had  factory loads for barrel break in and brass accumulation...None of the three has ever been fired at a game animal with anything but my handloads...

I'm not trying to brag or to say that  that I could  not do as well as with the excellent factory loads available today, but it does give me a sense of satisfaction killing game with handloads that I developed and loaded myself....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Buy whatever you can find and shoot em up. lol. Gotta be a good box in the bunch for your gun! If your having troubles finding it locally, order online.. 

Who ships to NY online..??  After the unsafe act, I tried to order ammo and components online and nobody would ship to NY, at least not the ones I had ordered from previously, like Cabela's, Midway, Natchez and a couple of others that I don't recall right at the moment...

17 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Who ships to NY online..??  After the unsafe act, I tried to order ammo and components online and nobody would ship to NY, at least not the ones I had ordered from previously, like Cabela's, Midway, Natchez and a couple of others that I don't recall right at the moment...

TArget sports, buds guns.  Two that I have ordered from.  Buds usually has decent prices. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2020 at 6:46 PM, Pygmy said:

If your looking for bulk ammo, Targetsportsusa.com especially with a membership will do you best..

Others include 

Budsgunshop

underwoodammo

ableammo

first to fight tactical

outdoorlimited

Theres a few more but i can't think of them.. Underwood ammo, and first to fight tactical are high quality place to order from they make theyre own.. have all shot well from our guns. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, covert said:

We couldn't at one point though, right?  Or did I just imagine that?

I think that is correct but honestly don't recall why or how that changed.  I think it was either a concern of sellers when the safe act was passed or it may have been part of the act that was rescinded or deemed unenforceable.  Since then, some sellers still won't ship to good ole NY.