Corona Virus Thread

The Center for Disease Control states:

Human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through

• the air by coughing and sneezing
  • close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
  • touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
  • rarely, fecal contamination

In the United States, people usually get infected with common human coronaviruses in the fall and winter. However, you can get infected at any time of the year. Most people will get infected with one or more of the common human coronaviruses in their lifetime. Young children are most likely to get infected. However, people can have multiple infections in their lifetime.”

Thankfully many who become infected do not die.  Unfortunately this virus taxes the health care system due to the need to treat the infected and degrades productivity due to the loss of workers on the job who need to recover from the illness.

Not to make this into some scary scenario, but of the three man made weapons of mass destruction (nuclear, biological and chemical), biological has the sinister label of being “the poor man’s weapon of mass destruction”.  So while evil countries like Iran and North Korea openly profess their desire destroy the United States of America and others by manufacturing nuclear weapons, I am more scared what these terrorists are developing in their biological weapons laboratory.

2 Broome county residents being tested by CDC. 

Both tested negative. Been following. In and out of hospital for 4 days when Dad decided to spend some time there. Monday morn they had masks available at visitor check in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Found some interesting tidbits. This one from WHO spokesperson:

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-statement-on-ihr-emergency-committee-on-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)

Interesting part below.

.."In total, there are now 7834 confirmed cases, including 7736 in China, representing almost 99% of all reported cases worldwide. 170 people have lost their lives to this outbreak, all of them in China."

Then found some stats on normal influenza from here. I dont love this website but. https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-statistics

5-20% of Americans get flu each year.

200,000 ave people hospitalized each year for flu

8200 - 20000 people who die each year from flu 

At this point in time, seems cornona virus has not yet done the damage an average flu virus does.  I wonder if in several months this may change. 

I do want to say a word of goodness to those working on this virus and a word of sorrow to those affected.  

I dont think its time now to panic. The near future may change my mind on that but for now,  I am not altering my routines based on the virus.

56 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Found some interesting tidbits. This one from WHO spokesperson:

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-statement-on-ihr-emergency-committee-on-novel-coronavirus-(2019-ncov)

Interesting part below.

.."In total, there are now 7834 confirmed cases, including 7736 in China, representing almost 99% of all reported cases worldwide. 170 people have lost their lives to this outbreak, all of them in China."

Then found some stats on normal influenza from here. I dont love this website but. https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-statistics

5-20% of Americans get flu each year.

200,000 ave people hospitalized each year for flu

8200 - 20000 people who die each year from flu 

At this point in time, seems cornona virus has not yet done the damage an average flu virus does.  I wonder if in several months this may change. 

I do want to say a word of goodness to those working on this virus and a word of sorrow to those affected.  

I dont think its time now to panic. The near future may change my mind on that but for now,  I am not altering my routines based on the virus.

saw this on the news last night too. I think the point of the concern with this virus is, if it does spread like the flu, it's more deadly and those numbers would be exponentially higher.

Good link Elmo. That link stats are in line with the stats I posted.  If this is Fake news, my opinion is its under reported fake.  From WHO below.   Seems to me they are saying its not a horrible disease if you are healthy.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

As with other respiratory illnesses, infection with 2019-nCoV can cause mild symptoms including a runny nose, sore throat, cough, and fever.  It can be more severe for some persons and can lead to pneumonia or breathing difficulties.  More rarely, the disease can be fatal. Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as, diabetes and heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.

1 minute ago, Belo said:

yes for a normal healthy person. The flu kills many who can't weather its storm.

From what I am told (wife in nursing) it is the elderly and the very young or those with compromised immunity that are most effected. For those with strong immunity, it is like a super nasty cold or a really bad flu, if that makes sense. 

Just make sure your immune system is super strong...go to the local mall and lick all the door knobs! lol

Sorry to be a >$^%. Just trying to make light of a heavy situation. 

Honestly, I've been going about my business like I normally do.

I find it funny though every one if freaking out and wearing those facemasks.  Those facemask don't protect you at all.  The micros are too small and passes right through it.  The facemask are really designed for those who already have a cold/flu and so when they cough/sneeze, it doesn't go that far.

Though there is the running joke that being an Asian I can use it to my advantage.  Whenever there's a long line, I just need to fake a cough and everyone will clear out of my way.

• Haha 7

One more interesting tidbit this one from the NY Times :

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

...."SARS had a mortality rate of 9.6 percent, and about 2 percent of those reported to have been infected with the new coronavirus have died."

Another source: 

https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-what-scientists-do-and-don-t-know-about-wuhan-coronavirus-so-far

...."The coronavirus "is less deadly than SARS or MERS, but it is more contagious," Buzyn said in a press conference Tuesday." 

..."In the United States, the mortality rate among people infected with influenza is about 0.13 percent, the Centers for Disease Control has calculated."

I for some reason thought mortality rate was higher for average flu.  If these numbers are accurate, a slight bit more concerning.

So far it seems this virus spreads fast(er) and can be a bit more deadly than an average flu.  Not great but doesn't seem like we are on the brink of annihilation at least. 

20 hours ago, Elmo said:

Honestly, I've been going about my business like I normally do.

I find it funny though every one if freaking out and wearing those facemasks.  Those facemask don't protect you at all.  The micros are too small and passes right through it.  The facemask are really designed for those who already have a cold/flu and so when they cough/sneeze, it doesn't go that far.

Though there is the running joke that being an Asian I can use it to my advantage.  Whenever there's a long line, I just need to fake a cough and everyone will clear out of my way.

the surgical masks yes. they do nothing. The N95's do provide protection so long as they're properly fitted.