Corona Virus Thread

1 hour ago, Belo said:

the surgical masks yes. they do nothing. The N95's do provide protection so long as they're properly fitted. 

I went to a Drs. appointment this morning. Walking into and through, the medical arts building, I saw no less than half a dozen people wearing surgical masks. Never saw that before.

And as always, I made a point to use the available hand sanitizer, after touching anything. Even the elevator buttons. I've done this for years though. Too many sick people in medical buildings!....Ha!

• Like 3

Interesting read here about hand sanitizers being a bad thing. Also interesting quote in there stating most people get flu from inhaling, not touching something. 

https://www.gq.com/story/the-case-against-hand-sanitizer

Another here stating hand sanitizer not as effective as thought for Flu strain A. 

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2019/09/hand-sanitizer-shown-less-effective-hand-washing-against-flu

One could wonder how many people are using this correctly and if in fact its creating more issues than resolving. 

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Interesting read here about hand sanitizers being a bad thing. Also interesting quote in there stating most people get flu from inhaling, not touching something. 

https://www.gq.com/story/the-case-against-hand-sanitizer

Another here stating hand sanitizer not as effective as thought for Flu strain A. 

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2019/09/hand-sanitizer-shown-less-effective-hand-washing-against-flu

One could wonder how many people are using this correctly and if in fact its creating more issues than resolving. 

Sry Al, can't read this at work. will check out ltr.

My understanding is that we need certain bacteria on/in us to maintain health and immunity. 

Masks of either kind are not very effective at protecting you from picking up the virus.  The virus spreads by droplet.  So, unless you're getting very close to an infected person who's coughing or sneezing in your face, the mask is useless.  The bug is picked up mostly from touching an infected surface.  That's why hand washing is taught as the best method of avoiding the virus. 

Masks are more effective in preventing an infected person from spreading the virus because the mask stops the spray from the cough or sneeze.  In hospital settings like where I work, anyone who has potentially been exposed to an infected person is asked to wear a mask for three days to prevent possibly spreading the bug during the incubation period.

• Like 2

I went to a Drs. appointment this morning. Walking into and through, the medical arts building, I saw no less than half a dozen people wearing surgical masks. Never saw that before.
And as always, I made a point to use the available hand sanitizer, after touching anything. Even the elevator buttons. I've done this for years though. Too many sick people in medical buildings!....Ha!

You TOUCH elevator buttons?!?!? No F’in way...they are right up there with doorknobs in public bathrooms. HOT water and soap only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Touch em?!? I lick em!!

Listen. I respect your training in China in the martial arts. However there is nothing that can be learned there to fight off the filth of the common man off elevator buttons or bathroom doors. I hate handling money for the same reason.

Listen. I respect your training in China in the martial arts. However there is nothing that can be learned there to fight off the filth of the common man off elevator buttons or bathroom doors. I hate handling money for the same reason.

It was a failed attempt at humor

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

His white cells and helper T cells are  actually in the process of kung fu fighting as we speak so ...

• Like 1

Seasonal flu kills on average 12,000-30,000 in any given year in the US alone. The fatality rate from this new virus is higher than the seasonal flu, but it still feels like it's being over-hyped by the media. If we were talking about MERS where the fatality rate is 30%+, that's a different situation (IMO).  

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Seasonal flu kills on average 12,000-30,000 in any given year in the US alone. The fatality rate from this new virus is higher than the seasonal flu, but it still feels like it's being over-hyped by the media. If we were talking about MERS where the fatality rate is 30%+, that's a different situation (IMO).  

that is def possible cause it seems everything these days is over hyped.    But the numbers say its 5X as fatal as contracting the flu? But far more widespread than MERS... I dunno - just saw the numbers on the news and thought it didnt seem good. But i was terrible at math too! All i know is i dont want it. 

Both my kids had the flu.  Both my nieces.  My dad.  All since recovered.  I know no one who even knows someone how has the coronavirus.  The moment I hear someone tell me, "Yo, you remember Bob, who use to work at Bills?  I heard his cousin's friend's co-worker, Betsy got the coronavirus."...then I'll worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the thing. Even if it ends up just being a lot like the flu, it's in addition to the flu. So if thousands die from the regular flu them add this as well it's another thing. Plus if China is closing everything down for production and 80per our medicine comes from china.we can have a real glut in those and many other products.  And if you think that once it's gone we will just get double the amount , the production time has already passed and can only still produce so much. Then it drives up demand and therefore price etc.  

Hoping and thinking this probably just fizzles out and all is good but there is potential for worry here. Thus reflected in the recent market.