Corona Virus Thread

6 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Anyone watching the market today....yikes. just room to grow right....

When it’s at record levels , you’re going to see some profit taking as well as panic selling over the latest news issue . I rode out the 2,008 drop with out making any changes , and to say I’ve recovered nicely would be an understatement. Never buy/sell on emotion, stay the course and for us old farts hold a balanced portfolio that  matches your risk tolerance and time horizon.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

When it’s at record levels , you’re going to see some profit taking as well as panic selling over the latest news issue . I rode out the 2,008 drop with out making any changes , and to say I’ve recovered nicely would be an understatement. Never buy/sell on emotion, stay the course and for us old farts hold a balanced portfolio that  matches your risk tolerance and time horizon.

Oh I am in for the next 10-12 no choice on the 401 K plan. But gives ya a little shudder.   Don't need the market to drop just before the election either.  

• Like 1

I don't think this has hit flu like levels yet. Definitely some downstream economic impacts that take time to work into the system - product shortages, supply delays, travel barriers slowing global trade, etc. It's probably not a one-day or one-week dip, but likely to be felt for the quarter, maybe following one, too. Just like it took time to work into the economies, it'll take time to work itself out.

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Oh I am in for the next 10-12 no choice on the 401 K plan. But gives ya a little shudder.   Don't need the market to drop just before the election either.  

Ya the timing with the election could be bad, and it’s hard watching stock holdings drop even knowing it’s cyclical .

I have not changed my daily routine (yet) . My level of concern has increased some though the last few days. Looks like the virus is starting to grab a toehold outside china.   Some of my concern stems from the wide range of death rate I calculate.  Not sure what to make of that, but most numbers suggest a high death rate. A bit disconcerting.

Edited by Al Bundy
spelling

Was originally planning on Italy and Croatia this summer.  Now that's a no go.  Fall back was France's Loirve Valley.  But wife fears that with the EU's open borders, it can reach France by the summer rolls around.  Basically I'm left with US or South America.

This virus can live on a surface for 27 days.. china is washing its $$ literally washing it with disinfectant.  Items shipped from china are a real threat, today the is talk of upgrading it to a pandemic from health organization's.. not something to mess with.. https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/02/coronavirus-evacuees-in-alabama-anniston-fema-facility-will-house-cruise-ship-passengers.html?utm_campaign=ta_23844147481920433_23844147481710433&utm_content=23844147481870433&utm_medium=test_partner&utm_source=facebook

Is running about a 3% death rate for those exposed .. so if 390 million in usa were exposed about 12 million would die.. 

Edited by G-Man

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

Was originally planning on Italy and Croatia this summer.  Now that's a no go.  Fall back was France's Loirve Valley.  But wife fears that with the EU's open borders, it can reach France by the summer rolls around.  Basically I'm left with US or South America.

Check out the Finger Lakes Region.............

Naples, Italy Valley, Cohocton etc. :)

• Haha 3

@G-Man  : Can you post the link where you found the virus can live 27 days? Thanks. 

Some food for thought. Currently there are roughly 35 cases in the US right now.  Compare this to the flu.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/flu-season-2020-what-to-know

..."n total, there have been at least 9.7 million cases of the flu, at least 87,000 flu-related hospitalization, and up to 12,000 deaths, according to the CDC" .

I'm not overly concerned about getting flu and am applying the same thought process to the corona virus. Still not (yet) time to panic.. 

• Like 1