Corona Virus Thread

33 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I work from home in sometimes on summer Friday’s because I deserve it not because I’m
Sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people don't have the option to work from home so they take sick day . Let's not pretend it's a crime to use sick time ,it counts as compensation .

In my 28 years I got “ Ironman letters “ ( no sick time ) about 3/4 of the years . The FD has by far the lowest sick day use of all city depts. I feel that’s largely due to the fact we can swap shifts , working on a Sat. and a wedding comes up ?  simply do a work substitution . 

That and you have to be home during your shift if sick, and they do sometimes check. Out more then three days , you have to get a back to work slip from the dept DR. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

In my 28 years I got “ Ironman letters “ ( no sick time ) about 3/4 of the years . The FD has by far the lowest sick day use of all city depts. I feel that’s largely due to the fact we can swap shifts , working on a Sat. and a wedding comes up ?  simply do a work substitution . 

That and you have to be home during your shift if sick, and they do sometimes check. Out more then three days , you have to get a back to work slip from the dept DR. 

Constant exposure to flame kills viruses - plus you all work 3 on 4 off etc!  By the way, I won the ironman award for my HS football team.  Had no idea it was related to perfect attendance.

New York State is recalling SUNY and CUNY students from study abroad programs in China, Italy, Iran and other places where the virus is widespread. They will return on a chartered plane destined for Stewart International Airport near Newburgh, N.Y., 67 miles north of Manhattan, and then be quarantined for 14 days.

BILL SCHMIDT!!!!!!!!!!!! @blackbeltbill

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

The place I retired from a few years ago used to have a " Use or Lose " policy on sick time . Everybody took their one week of sick leave every year .... generally 5 Fridays !  I had 12 years perfect .... until I woke up !

Where i work you can use your "sick" days as vacation as long as you plan them 1 week in advance. so i use all my days every year as vacation and carry nothing over.

• Like 1

I don't use a lot of sick time but I'll be damned if i'm going into work sick just so I can think i'm some sort of hero for never missing a day of work. We get a week of sick time on top of our vacation time. If we don't use the sick time we lose it. 

2 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I don't use a lot of sick time but I'll be damned if i'm going into work sick just so I can think i'm some sort of hero for never missing a day of work. We get a week of sick time on top of our vacation time. If we don't use the sick time we lose it. 

that's different because you lose it. I prefer to use "sick days" when i'm healthy and can do something fun. Sitting home feeling under the weather is the worst. why waste a day, unless like in your case you lose them otherwise

4 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

We get paid off for our unused sick time when we retire. They essentially buy back that time. I have noticed that our staff who are close to retirement all but get rolled in on a gurney so they don't use their sick time. Very reassuring....

10 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

We get paid off for our unused sick time when we retire.

That's a generous benefit! We pay for unused vac time (as I believe most companies do), but not sick time. We are encouraged to donate unused sick time to other employees in times of need. 

18 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

that's different because you lose it. I prefer to use "sick days" when i'm healthy and can do something fun. Sitting home feeling under the weather is the worst. why waste a day, unless like in your case you lose them otherwise

My place is a very small business so the line between vacation and sick time is very blurred as well. Many of times I have used my sick time for things that most places probably wouldn't have let you use it for. If I'm sick enough to call into work more than likely I'm sleeping most of the day anyways. Since having kid's I've used more sick days to stay home with them then I have used on myself though. 

33 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

uhhh - so that you don't infect everyone else.  it appears that YOU are the problem Biz sharing your ills!

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

uhhh - so that you don't infect everyone else.  it appears that YOU are the problem Biz sharing your ills!

survival of the fittest. my days off are for pool, golf, vacation, hunting, etc. I'm not using a day because i have a head cold. 

I use all my days every year. i never carry any over.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

survival of the fittest. my days off are for pool, golf, vacation, hunting, etc. I'm not using a day because i have a head cold. 

I use all my days every year. i never carry any over.

You're forgetting your new variable Biz. 

I never took sick days... until the baby got sick and my wife was out of town.  

But to be honest, staying home with a sick baby still beats working.  Especially if you're still getting paid. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnplav said:

You're forgetting your new variable Biz. 

I never took sick days... until the baby got sick and my wife was out of town.  

But to be honest, staying home with a sick baby still beats working.  Especially if you're still getting paid. 

that's what grandma is for. My mom would definitely encourage me to save my day for something fun.

i havent taken a full week off in years.  Too much work to come back to. But i try to take a lot of broken weeks esp in the fall.  But i have max sick time cause we get 6 sick days a year and i am never sick (knock on wood, more than a cold maybe every other year) But i also get 4 weeks vac and 2 personal days and 11 holidays and weekends off. 

I  disagree with Biz in that I think its coming and will cause issues due to fear, panic. As far as the illness itself, I think that will be much less awful than media is making out.  Still going to have sick people running around, I think.