Corona Virus Thread

Three main factors contribute to mortality rates: testing - more tests find more of the mild cases and dilute the number, population makeup - old, diabetic, male smokers are at greatest risk, and health care - as ICUs are overwhelmed, mortality increases as would be expected. At this point in time, America looks more likely to go the way of Italy than of South Korea

How is your daughter doing? You and your family popped into my thoughts last night as I was reading the news. 

Thankfully we popped in during the news and not later! All good- cough lingers- no serious fever or change of her temp. Her cough is starting to have negative affects on her brothers:
Her: cough cough!
Them: COME ON!!!! Shut up already!!!’
(Out of love of course!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully we popped in during the news and not later! All good- cough lingers- no serious fever or change of her temp. Her cough is starting to have negative affects on her brothers:
(Out of love of course!)

Good news and most likely an undocumented case of a successful story

Golf courses will remain open. Might be a good weekend to play. 71 degrees Friday

No ball washers
No sand trap rakes
Credit card only
3 people max in clubhouse to check in

I’d putt with the pin in. Hopefully Saturday or Sunday warm up.

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

No ball washers
No sand trap rakes
Credit card only
3 people max in clubhouse to check in

I’d putt with the pin in. Hopefully Saturday or Sunday warm up.

Rules say you can putt with the pin in now or am I mistaken...

I am also thinking of playing this weekend 

Edited by OtiscoPaul

As much as it would suck, what if NY shut down for 2-3 weeks? Aside form the financial ramifications, would that actually help? Total quarantine for a duration long enough to kill the virus? 

My kids schools were shut down for 2 weeks as of Friday afternoon. Yesterday we were told it is now until April 1st. This is with no confirmed cases in this district but one in a neighboring district. 

Have a meeting today at work to discuss this virus situation and how it will effect us. I can easily do my job from home but don't have remote access. Hope it comes today! Not panicking, just looking forward to no commute and no interaction with the rest of our dirty populous. lol 

Seriously, I am a service manager for a pretty big HVAC outfit (aside from some other things, Kung Fu instructor, part time personal body guard, charter capt - which is all on hold now!) and if one of our customers needs service, we have to go. We deal with a major part of the Hamptons crowd and they are all coming out here to escape the city. The techs are all being told to be as careful as possible: soap and water, Purell, distancing, etc. But what happens if someone has a confirmed case and has no heat or hot water? How is my boss going to expect me to send my guys into harms way? Hasmat suits to do a service call? Really?? I have already issued personal respirators, facial splash shields, and exam gloves. What more can I do to make sure they are safe, other than make them stay home? Not all of them can survive without getting a weekly paycheck. 

So now maybe you can understand me questioning if total shut down is a good idea, however impractical. Any thoughts?

27 minutes ago, crappyice said:

(Out of love of course!)

My oldest had something similar about a month back now. Got bad enough we called the Doctors but they said not to worry. This was pre-Corona scare in the US though. She had a good cough for at least 3 weeks, never had a fever or anything else. All the coughing just took a toll on her physically.  

18 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Simmer down there Alex Jones. Put down the CNN and spend some time fishing. The market will rebound. Do not worry. It's a pathogenic downturn NOT a financial downturn. So now that that's out of the way it will not be the same issues as 08. This is merely a temporary blip. Once we peak this Corona bullshit and start getting past it things will rebound and likely get even higher than they were before. Things are slowing due to concerns about getting sick not because nobody has any money.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

the answer is somewhere in the middle of your post and rob's. 

17 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

San Francisco has issued a "shelter in place"........FOR THREE WEEKS.

a very small part of me smiles at this with their whole sanctuary nonsense and free spirited bs and renaming of manhole covers. They don't deserve this and I don't wish it upon them. But they live in a fantasy world and while it was already starting to show with their homeless tent cities, this just highlights it.

PC is great until shit hits the fan. Now what?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, knehrke said:

Three main factors contribute to mortality rates: testing - more tests find more of the mild cases and dilute the number, population makeup - old, diabetic, male smokers are at greatest risk, and health care - as ICUs are overwhelmed, mortality increases as would be expected. At this point in time, America looks more likely to go the way of Italy than of South Korea

dilute isn't the right word choice here. A true mortality rate must consider those with mild cases and then they would break the numbers down further for demographics. 

I don't think that was your intent, but it's important to reiterate. 

a very small part of me smiles at this with their whole sanctuary nonsense and free spirited bs and renaming of manhole covers. They don't deserve this and I don't wish it upon them. But they live in a fantasy world and while it was already starting to show with their homeless tent cities, this just highlights it.
PC is great until shit hits the fan. Now what?

Shelter in place means nothing though. You still grocery shop and stuff.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

the answer is somewhere in the middle of your post and rob's. 

it cracks me up a little that people took my post as i think its doomsday.  Said this is the biggest financial crisis in my lifetime.  Not sure how thats really debateable.  But I do think we see our way out of it, but to be totally unconcerned about it is head in the sand.   We are strong and so is the country.  But this will make us paddle hard for a bit at minimum.  And we havent ever seen anything like it with more uncertainty to come.  

Who is ready to invest??? Dry powder ready to go....just not yet though! Stock market isn't for everyone but when it's bleeding you have to invest if you can stomach it. Good luck. By all means I wish this never happened but the MM's are not going to make all the money here. 

• Like 1

I had to go see a client today, my wife was not happy about it. This client was on central avenue in white plains. I told her I have to work and can’t stay shut In the house. The shake shack on central ave is closed because a employee tested Positive and came into work

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Shelter in place means nothing though. You still grocery shop and stuff.

Also why Chinese stats can't be used to compare.  Being communist, they used martial law on Wuhan.  Entire cities' residence was locked into their buildings.  Groceries were delivered by military/national guards.  I can't imaging something like that happening here without a full scale riot after a couple of days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, knehrke said:

Italy has an average population age of 47. The USA average age is 37. We won't be similar to Italy.

The hypocrisy of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the Corona Virus

Governor Andrew Cuomo on 60 Minutes said:  Andrew Cuomo: What value do you put on human life? What value do you put on human life? And we say here it's invaluable. And if you say, "Well, we're gonna lose 5,000 more people." I say close the restaurants. I say close the stores. I don't wanna lose 5,000 more people. If you do not slow the spread, the health care system can be overwhelmed. And more people will die.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-containment-zone-inside-60-minutes-2020-03-15/

Since when did Cuomo care about "invaluable" human life with his “I don't wanna lose 5,000 more people.” ?

1.    Cuomo supports abortion, AKA baby killing.   Apparently Cuomo has no problem losing "invaluable" babies. 

2.    Cuomo supports letting violent killers out of prison like William Spengler who continued to commit murder after being released from prison.  Apparently Cuomo has no problem losing "invaluable" innocent lives murdered by a deranged unrepentant killer.

3.    Having access to a firearm is necessary for self-defense, but Cuomo supports gun control to restrict and deny law abiding citizens access and use of firearms.  What about every qualified pistol permit holder being treated equally by being allowed to carry concealed for self-defense anywhere in New York State?  What about having reciprocity with all states so other Americans can carry concealed in NYS?   What about including the right to bear arms in the NYS Constitution? What having “stand your ground” in NYS?  And the list goes on how Cuomo supports useless gun laws while ignoring the root causes of violent crime.  Apparently Cuomo has no problem losing "invaluable" law abiding gun owners.

Edited by ADK Native
  • Like 1

Who is ready to invest??? Dry powder ready to go....just not yet though! Stock market isn't for everyone but when it's bleeding you have to invest if you can stomach it. Good luck. By all means I wish this never happened but the MM's are not going to make all the money here. 

I hit the SDOW for a nice score. But soon it’s time to jump back in on the positive side.

• Like 2

The hypocrisy of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the Corona Virus
 Governor Andrew Cuomo on 60 Minutes said:  Andrew Cuomo: What value do you put on human life? What value do you put on human life? And we say here it's invaluable. And if you say, "Well, we're gonna lose 5,000 more people." I say close the restaurants. I say close the stores. I don't wanna lose 5,000 more people. If you do not slow the spread, the health care system can be overwhelmed. And more people will die.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-containment-zone-inside-60-minutes-2020-03-15/
Since when did Cuomo care about "invaluable" human life with his “I don't wanna lose 5,000 more people.” ?
1.    Cuomo supports abortion, AKA baby killing.   Apparently Cuomo has no problem losing "invaluable" babies. 
2.    Cuomo supports letting violent killers out of prison like William Spengler who continued to commit murder after being released from prison.  Apparently Cuomo has no problem losing "invaluable" innocent lives murdered by a deranged unrepentant killer.
3.    Having access to a firearm is necessary for self-defense, but Cuomo supports gun control to restrict and deny law abiding citizens access and use of firearms.  What about every qualified pistol permit holder being treated equally by being allowed to carry concealed for self-defense anywhere in New York State?  What about having reciprocity with all states so other Americans can carry concealed in NYS?   What about including the right to bear arms in the NYS Constitution? What having “stand your ground” in NYS?  And the list goes on how Cuomo supports useless gun laws while ignoring the root causes of violent crime.  Apparently Cuomo has no problem losing "invaluable" law abiding gun owners.

Here is what I have learned from your post:
Lime green is impossible to read....even on St Patty’s Day after oodles of Guinness!
Thank you!