Corona Virus Thread

12 hours ago, Chef said:

Swill as in wine or the strong stuff ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you should ask. What I have is home made honey wine and red wine. But.... I just was trolling around my basement and rediscovered a still my grandfather gave me long ago. Nothing fancy. Someone’s jerry rig from eons ago. Sorry for anyone named jerry. PC and all. I told my wife last night might be time to get this thing going. If cabin fever keeps up, I may just give this a try.

• Like 3

Here's what the Greatest Generation thinks about this:

"I talked to a man today

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this Coronavirus scare was gripping America.

He simply smiled, looked away and said:

"Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for... I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children...

I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies...that they respect what they've been given...that they've earned what others sacrificed for."

I wasn't sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

"You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn't know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.

And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm's way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole ---- family...fathers, sons, uncles...

Having someone, you love, sent off to war...it wasn't less frightening than it is today. It was scary as ----. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn't have battle front news. We didn't have email or cellphones. You sent them away and you hoped...you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever. Sometimes a mother was getting her son's letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child's death.

And we sacrificed. You couldn't buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort. And what you weren't using, what you didn't need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort. My generation was the original recycling movement in America.

And we had viruses back then...serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such. It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined. We didn't shut down our schools. We didn't shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer. And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame. We didn't attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today."

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

"Today's kids don't know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today's kids are selfish and spoiled. In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who's husbands were either at war or dead from war. Today's kids rush the store, buying everything they can...no concern for anyone but themselves. It's shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.

So, no I don't need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I've been through worse things than this virus. But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough pop to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with 113 channels on your tv?"

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own...now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten. We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them..learn from them...to respect them."

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Here's what the Greatest Generation thinks about this:

"I talked to a man today

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this Coronavirus scare was gripping America.

He simply smiled, looked away and said:

"Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for... I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children...

I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies...that they respect what they've been given...that they've earned what others sacrificed for."

I wasn't sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

"You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn't know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.

And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm's way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole ---- family...fathers, sons, uncles...

Having someone, you love, sent off to war...it wasn't less frightening than it is today. It was scary as ----. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn't have battle front news. We didn't have email or cellphones. You sent them away and you hoped...you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever. Sometimes a mother was getting her son's letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child's death.

And we sacrificed. You couldn't buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort. And what you weren't using, what you didn't need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort. My generation was the original recycling movement in America.

And we had viruses back then...serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such. It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined. We didn't shut down our schools. We didn't shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer. And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame. We didn't attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today."

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

"Today's kids don't know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today's kids are selfish and spoiled. In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who's husbands were either at war or dead from war. Today's kids rush the store, buying everything they can...no concern for anyone but themselves. It's shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.

So, no I don't need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I've been through worse things than this virus. But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough pop to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with 113 channels on your tv?"

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own...now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten. We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them..learn from them...to respect them."

I do agree that the folks from prior generations were better than us, but I also don't like dramatic posts like yours because the "real" men and women from that generation probably wouldn't be throwing it in our face that they were so much better than us like your post is doing.  Most of those "real" good folks are way more humble.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Very sad if true.

• The Arizona couple were trying to immunize themselves from COVID-19 — but they apparently used a version of chloroquine meant for cleaning fish tanks, according to a press release from Banner Health in Phoenix. The man died, and the woman is in critical condition.

it is true and they're absolutely winners for darwin awards. The non starter is that chloroquine is possibly a cure, not a vaccine. Both of those people weren't even sick... and knowingly drank fish tank cleaner! ahhhh

• Like 1

Comparing one generation to another on the same playing field is useless IMO. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the great generation, but that doesn't mean the people who found a way to get through the Great Depression, Korea, Iraq/Afghanistan, etc. are not strong in their own right. 

I think much of our view is morphed by the spread of information and communication - I'm sure there were d-bags in the great generation, too. It just wasn't publicized as much.

There are good people in the world. Look at the healthcare workers putting themselves in harm and working to exhaustion. Or people delivering groceries for the elderly. People are so myopic and only look at the bad and think it is more common than the good. If that were the case, then sociology rules would say that isn't deviant behavior then. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I do agree that the folks from prior generations were better than us, but I also don't like dramatic posts like yours because the "real" men and women from that generation probably wouldn't be throwing it in our face that they were so much better than us like your post is doing.  Most of those "real" good folks are way more humble.

It's easy to shape fiction around your opinions. I'm sure I can find plenty of 80 year old's who would be well in favor of everyone staying home so they don't get coronavirus and die....also, I'm sure plenty of 80 year old's had a lot to say about incumbent Presidents "back in their day". However, I don't have time to craft a story to support these claims.

• Like 1

Radio interview on WBEN right now with a coronavirus patient. He sounds like he’s in his late 20’s to 30’s.  He’s getting better but said it was horrid.......started on the 13th approximately. 

Sounds like the flu? I can’t speak from experience tho. But people say the flu is bad. I’ve never had it or at least never was tested for it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds like the flu? I can’t speak from experience tho. But people say the flu is bad. I’ve never had it or at least never was tested for it

I remember having the flu once as a kid and Horrid would be a fine description of it. I remember not moving except to go from bed to bathroom to couch for several days. 

I can remember it so well because towards the end of it my parents bought me a mini pool table just to get me motivated to get up and moving.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I have had walking pneumonia in my early 20s that started with the flu.... Probably would never gotten that bad but My scumbag boss at IBM told me I better get back to work soon....  Anyway at the peak of it you would wish you were dead....... Never gotten sick again and that is  over 25 years ago....... knock on wood

I remember having the flu once as a kid and Horrid would be a fine description of it. I remember not moving except to go from bed to bathroom to couch for several days. 
I can remember it so well because towards the end of it my parents bought me a mini pool table just to get me motivated to get up and moving.  

I have had walking pneumonia in my early 20s that started with the flu.... Probably would never gotten that bad but My scumbag boss at IBM told me I better get back to work soon....  Anyway at the peak of it you would wish you were dead....... Never gotten sick again and that is  over 25 years ago....... knock on wood

Crazy. It’s also crazy how some people always get it. My former boss got the flu almost every single year, including the H1N1 in 2009. I was in his office every single day and I never once got the flu that I know. Or at least I never had the symptoms

When this is all said and done, i'd love to see a comparison on the deaths correlation to the healthiest/unhealthies counties in New York. every year they have those rankings come out where the Bronx for example is near the bottom (i think there are 62 counties) along with Orleans, Fulton, Niagara, etc as the most unhealthy. Below is just 1 of many charts/rankings that are all very close. Darkest Blue is the best, Darkest red is the worst,

image.thumb.png.b32e69a258037e0c4bd9f1454cba537d.png

59 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

So.. masks are no longer mandatory in China. People are out and about. Some  interesting news. 

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1183658.shtml

There are apparently articles floating around in Chinese that claim this woman and her family tested positive for corona. I have not looked into it. 

I saw this . They were quarantine  quickly 

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Sorry guys and gals but that emoji533.png crap is funny and if you or your children are harmed by it , that saddens me.

I hate to stir the pot but Are your children really reading the NY hunting forum Corona virus thread?
1. My kids (when younger) loved the Live from the woods; harvest thread; whats for dinner and even the beer thread to see the cans. I guess they weren’t sophisticated enough to want to read about pandemics.
2. If your kids are sophisticated enough to want to read about a pandemic, find better sources then Hunting NY.
3. By the time they are ready for “political” or “not really hunting threads” they probably their own devices and have seen all of this plus more WITHOUT you knowing it. At least here you can explain why those memes are HILARIOUS!

Off to school which is back to my bedroom which now serves as a classroom....maybe that’s the reason for my crankiness!

Sorry...I now turn you back to your regularly scheduled “doom and gloom” OR “everything will be fine by Easter” programming as I just live in my “embrace the suck, this will end when it ends” mentality.

RIP WOOD

My15 year old grandson is a member here, and does scan the hot topics occasionally. And I know he's seen it. Also, I'm sure that he's seen much more, from other places on the net. So I imagine there would be other minors seeing it too? We can never assume who is, or is not, reading what we post here.

Is that picture something a father would show his daughter or young son? I don't think so.

I do have a strong sense of humor I think? Ask most anyone I've met from here. But I just don't find any humor in that picture, with any attachment caption?? We are all different, I get that! And what one finds funny, another may find distasteful, as is the case here. So why would someone knowingly keep posting a picture, or anything, that they know other members find distasteful? Just because they can? Even though it is knowingly against this forums rules? I just don't come to this forum to have dongs shoved in my face!!!! ( See what I did there? I do have a sense of humor)

You are a very intelligent, and resourceful member, that I enjoy sharing with here. But I really don't care to share dong pic humor with ya. Sorry. But do ya have any trail cam pic's??? 

I think the COVID19 uncertainties, and being closed in is getting to us all.

• Like 3

My15 year old grandson is a member here, and does scan the hot topics occasionally. And I know he's seen it. Also, I'm sure that he's seen much more, from other places on the net. So I imagine there would be other minors seeing it too? We can never assume who is, or is not, reading what we post here.
Is that picture something a father would show his daughter or young son? I don't think so.
I do have a strong sense of humor I think? Ask most anyone I've met from here. But I just don't find any humor in that picture, with any attachment caption?? We are all different, I get that! And what one finds funny, another may find distasteful, as is the case here. So why would someone knowingly keep posting a picture, or anything, that they know other members find distasteful? Just because they can? Even though it is knowingly against this forums rules? I just don't come to this forum to have dongs shoved in my face!!!! ( See what I did there? I do have a sense of humor)
You are a very intelligent, and resourceful member, that I enjoy sharing with here. But I really don't care to share dong pic humor with ya. Sorry. But do ya have any trail cam pic's??? 
I think the COVID19 uncertainties, and being closed in is getting to us all.

My one question to you is would you find it funny If that Dong pick showed up on your trail camera ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I was just in Monroe Walmart with my Facemask on of course. Fairly Crowded. I was able to stock up on everything. Plenty of Spring Water.                                      I just don't understand why I saw a good 6 or 7 Very young Toddlers in the Store in  and out of the Baby Carriage.  They should be home + Safe.

I understand why many are wearing face masks. Makes them feel safe, but in reality they're really unnecessary unless you're directly treating infected people who may cough or sneeze on you. The best thing we can do is wear gloves, or simply wash your hands. I would encourage those that have a stockpile to donate them to the hospitals. My company just donated 540 yesterday.

I had the flu 2 yrs ago. It was beyond horrible. It turned into double pneumonia, which caused a blood clot to form in my leg that broke free and lodged in my lung.  The pain of that clot lodging in my lung was to say the least, frightening. Thought it was my time..