Corona Virus Thread

37 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Here's what I can't get my head around.  So the pics of the overwhelmed hospitals and trailers that are used as morgues..... Yet they say the regular flu kills far more people??? Then why is there so much obvious pressure on the entire medical community now? And why then isn't this a normal sight if the flu kills so many more. What am I missing? Are the regular flu numbers incorrect as the flu is mostly a seasonal issue so there isn't a spread of those numbers across the entire year.  

Flu ranges 12-60k deaths in the US, this will blow past that with estimates at 100-240k deaths in the US. 

The flu numbers take a year to hit, this won’t. It spreads more and patients deteriorate much faster. 

Edited by Doewhacker

8 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Flu ranges 12-60k deaths in the US, this will blow past that with estimates at 100-240k deaths in the US. 

The flu numbers take a year to hit, this won’t. It spreads more and patients deteriorate much faster. 

Yes it may hit that but hasn't come close yet and hospitals are overwhelmed. Just seems most are comparing it to the flu rate, then why so overwhelmed.  It makes me feel like the flu numbers are incorrect.  But looking at it I guess right now maybe cause it is so regional? 

And flu is seasonal. Usually Nov - April.  Which is 6 months. Divide the.numbers for this at 2 months and it still doesn't mash up.  Gotta be cause it's such a regional quick spread. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Maybe not. Italy flattened curve. Brits will loosen lockdowns by Mid May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A close friend of almost 45 years just called me.  He manages a VERY busy fast food restaurant in our area and has for 35 years.  He is well compensated for his years and dedication.....

He is very upset; his employees have basically all jumped ship.  One assistant manager said she had close contact with a covid 19 positive person yesterday and just found out about it this afternoon.  She and all her co-workers freaked out and they are leaving the store NOW.  Adios

They all have been working very hard as their drive thru has been bombed since this shit started, some customers waiting 45-60 minutes in line to get an order.   Some orders are huge, feeding extended families and friends I guess!  The owners are being pretty good about it but my buddy is afraid that these employees bailing are doing it for the unemployment and extra $600

I sure hope not but wouldn't be surprised.  The fear is real though, I'm sure........

What a disaster at so many levels.

11 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yes it may hit that but hasn't come close yet and hospitals are overwhelmed. Just seems most are comparing it to the flu rate, then why so overwhelmed.  It makes me feel like the flu numbers are incorrect.  But looking at it I guess right now maybe cause it is so regional? 

And flu is seasonal. Usually Nov - April.  Which is 6 months. Divide the.numbers for this at 2 months and it still doesn't mash up.  Gotta be cause it's such a regional quick spread. 

Hospitalization rates for flu are 1-2%, Covid is @15%. 

Treatment and recovery is much longer with Covid, which fills the needed beds and occupys the vents. The US is way short on beds per person, can’t keep up with ppe demand and there is not enough staff to work the hospitals. 

While the flu is seasonal the numbers are from a whole year and typically only estimates. 

17 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Maybe not. Italy flattened curve. Brits will loosen lockdowns by Mid May.

Italy is past the apex, NYC is 2-3 weeks behind them. Hopefully this next week or the one after will be our apex. 

I am also hoping it doesn’t destroy every small town in America. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to put this out there. I spoke to a friend of mine again who is a nurse at a major NYC hospital. She said the need for vents is huge as they are intubating way more people than they expected. She said the caveat to that is once people go on a vent they are not recovering. Going on a vent is a near death sentence. They are not able to ween people off

• Like 1

First IMO the confusion about death rates and such comes from us being lied to. First the politicians told us not to worry, go to Chinatown for dinner you racist. Both Sen Feinstein and a NYC Chinese pol among many. Next they are averaging what is going on in the epicenters like NYC among the entire population of the country to downplay it. They told us we don't need masks. Now they know we need masks but are telling us to use a bandanna so they will have enough masks for Drs and nurses who deserve first availability but lying to us is only going to lead to more cases. My family is staying in but we still have to get food and meds when necessary which is once a week. May God help us get through this.

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

I just wanted to put this out there. I spoke to a friend of mine again who is a nurse at a major NYC hospital. She said the need for vents is huge as they are intubating way more people than they expected. She said the caveat to that is once people go on a vent they are not recovering. Going on a vent is a near death sentence. They are not able to ween people off

Same story from my wife, average time on a vent is 11-14 days (I think she said) 

She is a RRT, which stands for Registered Respiratory Therapist. They do the vents and the breathing treatments. 

I was under the impression that the drug prescription and the ventilator had to be combined in order for it to improve the patient's odds

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Hospitalization rates for flu are 1-2%, Covid is @15%. 

Treatment and recovery is much longer with Covid, which fills the needed beds and occupys the vents. The US is way short on beds per person, can’t keep up with ppe demand and there is not enough staff to work the hospitals. 

While the flu is seasonal the numbers are from a whole year and typically only estimates. 

Right that's my thought is I have a hard time believing the flu numbers of that many per year dying from it when we are running out of PPE now across the country with such a lower amount of people infected in comparison. It must be in the curve of hitting so hard regional and quickly that it overwhelms the system right then. Where as flu is more established in multiple areas over a longer time. But as this continues the time is getting to be less of a difference and deaths still are so much lower than reported flu.  Cuomo had a press release that in Feb 2020 that the flu rates were high as ever seen. Yet no trailers of morgues or lack of PPE. I am doubting the flu numbers at this point some or at least a comparison of covid to the flu. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.lohud.com/amp/4753341002

My brother said same thing and if you do recover off the Vent, you will never be the same. A flight of stairs will feel like a marathon.

Btw, my wife ordered from

Baldor for food delivery. I think you mentioned them

• Like 1

A close friend of almost 45 years just called me.  He manages a VERY busy fast food restaurant in our area and has for 35 years.  He is well compensated for his years and dedication.....
He is very upset; his employees have basically all jumped ship.  One assistant manager said she had close contact with a covid 19 positive person yesterday and just found out about it this afternoon.  She and all her co-workers freaked out and they are leaving the store NOW.  Adios
They all have been working very hard as their drive thru has been bombed since this shit started, some customers waiting 45-60 minutes in line to get an order.   Some orders are huge, feeding extended families and friends I guess!  The owners are being pretty good about it but my buddy is afraid that these employees bailing are doing it for the unemployment and extra $600
I sure hope not but wouldn't be surprised.  The fear is real though, I'm sure........
What a disaster at so many levels.

Yup. Huge issues. Unemployment plus $600 is a better deal than working for many people. Say $300 UI and $600, that’s $900/week for people who make way less than $46K per year. So everyone in that situation wants to Stay home

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yup. Huge issues. Unemployment plus $600 is a better deal than working for many people. Say $300 UI and $600, that’s $900/week for people who make way less than $46K per year. So everyone in that situation wants to Stay home

Until next tax season lol 

• Like 1

My brother said same thing and if you do recover off the Vent, you will never be the same. A flight of stairs will feel like a marathon.

I did yea I’ve ordered from them twice so far. You should check out the website too there is some cool stuff on there

• Like 1

Things have gotten so bad that I watched a CD that I had copied from one of my VCR tapes . The Bills vs the Oilers (1-3-1993). Bills 41 - Oilers 38 . I remember a lot of people leaving the stadium early in the 3rd quarter when the score was 35 - 3 in favor of the Oilers . The announcers never mentioned that .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Things have gotten so bad that I watched a CD that I had copied from one of my VCR tapes . The Bills vs the Oilers (1-3-1993). Bills 41 - Oilers 38 . I remember a lot of people leaving the stadium early in the 3rd quarter when the score was 35 - 3 in favor of the Oilers . The announcers never mentioned that .

Wife n I really were at that game. She lived 5 minutes from the stadium and bought tickets that morning. We went with friends who left early. We had 50 yard line on Houston bench side. 

6 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

So...Monday will be 2 weeks I am home and I was just informed my department got downsized (eliminated). Now I need a job. SMH
I really want this to be over soon.

Sorry to hear.  Unemployment is a disaster.  I've trying to apply for over a week now.  Their system is overloaded.  I've tried online all hours of the day.  Even 3AM once.  It keeps timing out.  When you call the number, the call just drops.  Only once did I get a busy signal and after maybe 5 minutes, it hung up on me.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I read some where that it's up to 20% of your lung capacity would be gone.

• Like 1