Corona Virus Thread

36 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Not even on a tax return? That doesn’t seem fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be considered a credit on your 2020 return, and anyone who doesn't get a check (for whatever reason, provided they are eligible) can claim it then, and anyone who got a check will be considered as already taking the credit. This was the same method used when they sent out stimulus checks in the Bush & Obama eras.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

After cancelling regents kinda assumed schools are dunzo....

What’s dunzo is the expectation that the kiddies can learn as much/as well as if IN a classroom. Wouldn’t be fair to the kids to set them up for failure like that. And yet, AP test still going (from home). I assume the thought is AP students are more motivated to independently learn the material- more on the line?!?

13 minutes ago, crappyice said:

What’s dunzo is the expectation that the kiddies can learn as much/as well as if IN a classroom. Wouldn’t be fair to the kids to set them up for failure like that. And yet, AP test still going (from home). I assume the thought is AP students are more motivated to independently learn the material- more on the line?!?

Oh def agree but when they got full funding guaranteed and cancelled regents I would be surprised to see any reopen for 3 weeks of actual school.

My GF has three adopted kids and  good thing she is off cause they do 6-8 hours of school work at home to keep up with what the school is sending them. She said too it surely isn't the same but they are doing all they can. Luckily a foster kid she raised is in college at Geneseo to become a teacher and is helping out a lot too.  

But even if schools open mid May how many people aren't going to send their kids too.  And they are going to have to get new PPE and prob class size limits setup. I would be surprised if they opened but never know. 

Back when schools originally closed I posted on here that an interesting side will be learning to teach by teleconference.  That I see this becoming the wave of the future. Being forced to do it will make a big push to do it sooner. Unfortunately.  Not rooting for it just think it will be in evitable at some point.  It will be looked at as less risk to kids and less expense for everyone and the younger the generation the more accepted remote learning will become. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

12 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Update...the docs thought she was showing enough of the symptoms so they tested her for Covid and gave her a breathing treatment. Fingers crossed...update to follow. 

Hoping for the best for her.  I have a lot of respect for all of the front line medical people who continue to risk exposure to the virus while helping others.  It's truly a courageous thing to do.

• Thanks 1

Catch, & release fish only, fish are gross....I can always wing it though, and cook the fish, haha.

I lll actually say I try to not keep trout out of the Delaware, it’s a wild fishery and pretty fragile

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Not even on a tax return? That doesn’t seem fair.

Have no clue if it's going to be taxed at the end of the yr.  All I know is it was deposited into our checking account with no taxes taken out. 

51 minutes ago, Chef said:

I lll actually say I try to not keep trout out of the Delaware, it’s a wild fishery and pretty fragile

I don’t even remember writing that about the fish.  That’s a good thing, and I am glad to hear you respect the area up here.

Edited by Bionic

4 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

It will be considered a credit on your 2020 return, and anyone who doesn't get a check (for whatever reason, provided they are eligible) can claim it then, and anyone who got a check will be considered as already taking the credit. This was the same method used when they sent out stimulus checks in the Bush & Obama eras.

Just did a quick search. 

From what I'm reading, it's not a advance of your 2020 tax returns. You won't have to pay it back and it won't affect your taxable income. 

Interesting. I just hope people get taxed on all this free money. In some Cases, people are making more $ for staying home

Than going into work. It will kill small businesses trying to find employees to work

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Interesting. I just hope people get taxed on all this free money. In some Cases, people are making more $ for staying home
Than going into work. It will kill businesses

Taxes are coming out of unemployment and the extra $600, hopefully that puts your mind at ease..........and, many of those getting that "free money" will be putting much of it back into the economy, trying to save businesses.

• Like 1

Taxes are coming out of unemployment and the extra $600, hopefully that puts your mind at ease..........and, many of those getting that "free money" will be putting much of it back into the economy, trying to save businesses.

Great, but the people I know who got the $600 are getting the full $600 (not less). I think you mentioned the restaurant example, where employees can cry wolf to stay home and make More $

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Great, but the people I know who got the $600 are getting the full $600 (not less). I think you mentioned the restaurant example, where employees can cry wolf to stay home and make More $

I know people that got it but it was $554 instead of the $600.  Dunno if that was tax or not. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Than going into work. It will kill small businesses trying to find employees to work

My friend owns a business here , he was able to keep half his workforce employed because he has some defense contracts . The ones laid  off , between NYS unemployment and the Feds kicking in $600:a week are making more ,then the ones working .

He’s looking at ways to compensate those working , with a bonus system or something .

• Like 3

This is what I'm finding. Copy and paste from Google search.

this eat into my tax refund for 2020?

No. The ‘advance’ you’ve been hearing about is in reference to a special tax credit that’ll appear on the tax return you file in 2021 for the 2020 tax year — a tax credit that wouldn’t have been there if it wasn’t for these stimulus checks.

So the Internal Revenue Service isn’t giving you some of your 2020 tax refund upfront. The stimulus check will be in addition to what you would’ve otherwise expected.

Will it count towards my taxable income for 2020?

No. This money is not considered income. It won’t be taxable and it won’t affect your income tax bracket for 2020.

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I opted to have taxes taken out of my UI payment and I'd assume that's the case with the $600.......some prefer to pay the tax due later?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It will kill small businesses trying to find employees to work

I'm in need of a guy now and I'm worried I won't find anyone due to people being able to make comparable wages on unemployment. It sucks that I have to compete with that to find help.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I opted to have taxes taken out of my UI payment and I'd assume that's the case with the $600.......some prefer to pay the tax due later?

I'm assuming you are right.

I will find out next week when I get my check. I've only drawn unemployment once in my life. I normally claim 0 on taxes and get a little back in the spring. The last time I drew I didnt have taxes taken out. It basically worked out that I owed nothing.

Edited by ncountry

Not sure what you mean? I don’t follow politics much tho

These hospitals are not at such low volumes do to lack of patients, they are at low volume because the fed is most likely not helping to facilitate patient transfers to these locations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mowin said:

Just did a quick search. 

From what I'm reading, it's not a advance of your 2020 tax returns. You won't have to pay it back and it won't affect your taxable income. 

Yes, that is true. But it will be considered a tax "credit". Meaning a freebie. And if you didn't get a payment and were eligible to collect, you can claim the credit on your 2020 return. And you will owe no federal tax on the payment, and in all likelihood no state tax. This is a rerun, we've seen this before.