Corona Virus Thread

2 hours ago, Red said:

My wife's felt pretty sick the past few days and figured it was just a stomach bug or her new meds messing her up. She called her DR this morning and he told her to get to the hospital and he'll order blood work and a CT scan she's been there since 10am all of those tests turned up nothing. 

They just ordered her the swab for Corona keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't have it.

She just got home from the hospital she'll have her results some time tomorrow or Thursday. For now she quartiened to the bedroom she can only come out to use the restroom. Me and the kids will use the other restroom for the next couple of days.

• Like 1

“I have the ultimate authority,” he replied.
Reading comprehension skills would be able to discern the difference between what he said and what people are told he said.

What are you saying. He said I have the ultimate authority

Yea he doesn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, knehrke said:

First, if you actually read the e-mail, it says nothing about person-to-person transmission. It simply asks for more information regarding 8 cases of atypical pneumonia in Wuhan, China. Second, there's already evidence that China tried to cover up the initial outbreak. Why do we need Taiwan to weigh in on this, and how is it news? Finally, blaming China, whether rightfully so or not, doesn't alleviate the responsibility our public officials have to do local diligence with an emerging pandemic. Casting blame elsewhere rather than accepting responsibility and saying, "We could have done better. Case closed. Moving on." is a classic maneuver that's best left to kindergarteners. There's blame enough for everyone. Moving on.

This.

It's also ironic that some of the people who are down playing the seriousness of this virus and wants everyone to return to work blames China for not letting the world know earlier about how serious this virus is.  I'm pretty sure China made the same mistake in the beginning.  The lack of test kits played a major part.  It's not like they had a stock pile of COVID-19 test kits sitting around because they knew this was going to happen.  They didn't hit the panic button as they figured they could contain in.  They were probably like Trump during February.  The difference is China was dealing with an unknown.  By the end of January when China finally admitted they couldn't contain the virus and warned the WHO, every other country saw what was going on in Wuhan and took immediate action.  It was too late for Italy and they got hit hard but these other countries (South Korea, Singapore, etc) are dealing with the virus very well.  Trump immediately banned travel entry from China (though it is now know that the virus entered US via Europe) so his lock down response I feel is adequate.  Pelosi, Biden, and de Blasio are even dumber.  To say Trump is smarter than the dems doesn't say much.  But the lack of preparation is inexcusable.  We had historical data.  You can't use complete lack of knowledge of the virus at that point.  We saw what was happening to all these other countries and how they started dealing with it.  US was one of the last countries to get infected.  The moment the "one case" popped up, masks and ventilators should have been popping out within a week.  China messed up by trying to deal with it and sweep it under the rug.  But US administration messed up by ignoring all the warning signs.

14 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Agreed Elmo. Of course Jet Li would win, he is still alive. 

Hmmm, maybe a topic for a new thread...

Jet Li or Jackie Chan, tough call 

Li. Li trained in an actual Shaolin Temple in his youth before going to acting school.  Jackie Chan grew up purely in an acting school.  Bruce designed a fighting technique for street fighting.  Back then, all fighting competitions were based on point systems which was not an accurate test of try fighting which is why Bruce refused to compete in them.

Edited by Elmo

43 minutes ago, Rattler said:

There is a difference between "absolute" and "ultimate" and they convey entirely different meanings.  And yeah, he does.

That’s more than a little petty on your part. But if we’re using exact wording, here’s the first hit:

While discussing whether he or the nation's governors have the power to lift restrictions states put in place to fight the spread of the coronavirus, President Donald Trump declared at a news briefing Monday, "When somebody’s president of the United States, the authority is total." 

The president's unprecedented claim of total power met with immediate pushback from Democrats and Republicans, many of them arguing the U.S. Constitution explicitly refutes his claim to absolute authority. 

"The federal government does not have absolute power," said Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., who went on to quote the text of the 10th Amendment in a tweet that went viral.  

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said changes to the social-distancing orders should be made by the governors. Federal guidelines "will be very influential. But the Constitution & common sense dictates these decisions be made at the state level," he tweeted

Jonathan Turley – a law professor at George Washington University who argued against Trump's impeachment before the House Judiciary Committee and a USA TODAY contributor – said the framers wrote the Constitution precisely to bar presidents from claiming the type of authority asserted by Trump. 

"Our constitutional system was forged during a period of grave unease over executive authority. After all, the nation had just broken away from the control of a tyrant," Turley said. And if there is "one overriding principle" in the Constitution, it is to avoid the concentration of power, and it does so "in myriad ways," he said. 

The 10th Amendment was one instrument written to help ensure that the federal government would not be able to impose the kind of absolute authority the framers feared. 

Oh, and then there’s this: 

• "The federal government has absolute power," Trump added. "As to whether I'll use that power, we'll see."

No need to apologize. 

Edited by left field
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Li. Li trained in an actual Shaolin Temple in his youth before going to acting school.  Jackie Chan grew up purely in an acting school.  Bruce designed a fighting technique for street fighting.  Back then, all fighting competitions were based on point systems which was not an accurate test of try fighting which is why Bruce refused to compete in them.

Jackie did train in china. He is a certified “Drunken” master

I would probably put my $ on Li also. I used to want to go back to finish my training at the temple in the Wudang mountains but no way now. I’m good here lol. 

49 minutes ago, left field said:

No need to apologize. 

Do you know what happens when the country is in a "Declared State of Emergency"?  Look it up.

The states can decide to ignore the order, but that puts the responsibility of repercussions on them, not the President.  The President can also deal with the states that refuse to open, differently then he does the one's that do.  It's not an abuse of power and is clearly understood in a state of emergency or under the War powers act if that were the case.

57 minutes ago, left field said:

That’s more than a little petty on your part. But if we’re using exact wording, here’s the first hit:

While discussing whether he or the nation's governors have the power to lift restrictions states put in place to fight the spread of the coronavirus, President Donald Trump declared at a news briefing Monday, "When somebody’s president of the United States, the authority is total." 

The president's unprecedented claim of total power met with immediate pushback from Democrats and Republicans, many of them arguing the U.S. Constitution explicitly refutes his claim to absolute authority. 

"The federal government does not have absolute power," said Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., who went on to quote the text of the 10th Amendment in a tweet that went viral.  

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said changes to the social-distancing orders should be made by the governors. Federal guidelines "will be very influential. But the Constitution & common sense dictates these decisions be made at the state level," he tweeted

Jonathan Turley – a law professor at George Washington University who argued against Trump's impeachment before the House Judiciary Committee and a USA TODAY contributor – said the framers wrote the Constitution precisely to bar presidents from claiming the type of authority asserted by Trump. 

"Our constitutional system was forged during a period of grave unease over executive authority. After all, the nation had just broken away from the control of a tyrant," Turley said. And if there is "one overriding principle" in the Constitution, it is to avoid the concentration of power, and it does so "in myriad ways," he said. 

The 10th Amendment was one instrument written to help ensure that the federal government would not be able to impose the kind of absolute authority the framers feared. 

Oh, and then there’s this: 

• "The federal government has absolute power," Trump added. "As to whether I'll use that power, we'll see."

No need to apologize. 

Tread lightly LF, Rattler will argue a sane man into madness in order to claim victory. :)

Edited by Splitear_Leland

So everyone who jumped on him: the senators, congressmen, constitutional scholars; are all wrong?

How about this guy who’s twisting himself in a knot to say something nice? 

POTUS claims of absolute power in Covid 19 emergency are constitutional nonsense, another of his serial exaggerations. The reaction to them are another case of media’s insistent focus on the stuff he says, as if that is more important than what he actually does.

I mean, heaven forbid anyone should listen to, or put any stock in, what a President actually says. Don’t people know he has the best words? 

I think it’s cool you want to take up the mantle of Papist. But here’s a little known secret ... he didn’t believe his own bullshit. There’s a lesson there.