Corona Virus Thread

Thanks for taking the time to reply at length! All this said if you had two kids heading in to junior year and your options were full remote or Monday/Thursday in school with all those stipulations what would you choose?

How impossible was remote learning for your kids last spring? How good/bad was the school at it?
Are you or Mama TCIII primarily responsible for “home schooling” - loaded question so proceed with caution here!
The girls are playing softball so they are already out there. Indoors is worse but we are sending ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, crappyice said:

How impossible was remote learning for your kids last spring? How good/bad was the school at it?
Are you or Mama TCIII primarily responsible for “home schooling” - loaded question so proceed with caution here!
The girls are playing softball so they are already out there. Indoors is worse but we are sending ours.

They both maintained 98% avg overall and passed the Regents easily, with literally ZERO input or guidance from me or the wife. Its remarkable and I take no credit. I will say they were on a bananas schedule, completing their work at all hours of the day and night so this new deal will be a big change

• Like 1

They both maintained 98% avg overall and passed the Regents easily, with literally ZERO input or guidance from me or the wife. Its remarkable and I take no credit. I will say they were on a bananas schedule, completing their work at all hours of the day and night so this new deal will be a big change

Our school went to Pass/Fail system so the actual learning was totally independent since you had to try hard to Fail. It will be interesting to see the learning gaps next year or when we finally get back to regular schooling. My boys (and many of their friends who are all good athletes) are math geeks so they worked hard there. Mailed in everything else and were just fine. My daughter was taking AP World History as a Soph and killed herself trying to teach herself the entire curriculum. She did fine on the test (modified to be 45 minutes and done remotely with proctors who watched you take the test while on zoom!) but the effort was mighty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Our school went to Pass/Fail system so the actual learning was totally independent since you had to try hard to Fail. It will be interesting to see the learning gaps next year or when we finally get back to regular schooling. My boys (and many of their friends who are all good athletes) are math geeks so they worked hard there. Mailed in everything else and were just fine. My daughter was taking AP World History as a Soph and killed herself trying to teach herself the entire curriculum. She did fine on the test (modified to be 45 minutes and done remotely with proctors who watched you take the test while on zoom!) but the effort was mighty.

My bad, it was AP World and AP Psych that they aced the exam "albeit watered down Im sure". Im a veg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

How many students in your MS? Ours has 1,000 so 500 in the building under these conditions

15 hours ago, Rattler said:

You just literally posted an article that states hydroxychloriquine isn't proven.  The conclusion at the bottom of your article.

"All of this is to say that the science is not yet settled. It is an open question as to whether hydroxychloroquine in combination with any number of other drugs may have a beneficial effect on the disease course of COVID-19."

So everyone, have no fear, go a head and get exposed because we have a drug that isn't fully tested that may or may not save you.

• Like 1

It’s just a mask.
It’s just six feet.
It’s just two weeks.
It’s just non-essential businesses.
It’s just non-essential workers.
It’s just a bar.
It’s just a restaurant.
It’s just to keep from overwhelming the hospitals.
It’s just until the cases go down.
It’s just to flatten the curve.
It’s just a few inmates.
It’s just to keep others from being scared.
It’s just for a few more weeks.
It’s just church. You could still pray.
It’s just prayer.
It’s just until we get a vaccine.
It’s just a bracelet.
It’s just an app.
It’s just for tracing.
It’s just to let people know you’re safe to be around.
It’s just to let others know who you’ve been in contact with.
It’s just a few more months.
It’s just some more inmates.
It’s just a video.
It’s just a post.
It’s just an email account.
It’s just for protecting others from hate speech.
It’s just for protecting others from hurt feelings.
It’s just a large gathering but for protests.
It’s just a few violent protests.
It’s just a little micro chip.
It’s just a blood test.
It’s just a test.
It’s just a scan.
It’s just for medical information.
It’s just to store a vaccination certificate.
It’s just like a credit card.
It’s just a few places that don’t take cash.
It’s just so you can travel.
It’s just so you can get your driver’s license.
It’s just so you can vote.
It’s just mail-in voting.
It’s just a few more years.
It’s just a statue.
It’s just a monument.
It’s just a building.
It’s just a song.
It’s just a lyric.
It’s just an anthem.
It’s just a few words.
It’s just a piece of paper.
It’s just a book.
It’s just a movie.
It’s just a TV show.
It’s just a cartoon character.
It’s just a piece of cloth.
It’s just a flag.
It’s just a dog at a protest.
It’s just a religion.
It’s just a holiday.
It's just your guns.
It's just the police.
It's just the military
It's just your freedoms....gone forever.

And "It's just" the way they planned it.
IMO ANYWAY. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this reply. I feel selfish for wanting my kids back in school even if it’s a hybrid model half in half out. I’d prefer 100% in but it seems unlikely.

Mine are young 10&7 and while I will not speak bad of the teachers last year because it was a sudden and unexpected change but my girls learned absolutely nothing at home. The first few weeks where more of a review of what they already did. Then it was a few weeks of new stuff followed by a week or 2 of review and the last week was a fun week over zoom. Most day where 1.5 hours max of work.

I worked full time in the office and my wife worked full time at home. We are not teachers and I can not pretend to be one. I know the answers but trying to teach what I know in a school like setting was very difficult. We muscled through it but sometimes it was the last thing we wanted to do after dinner and a long day.

• Like 1

Thank you for this reply. I feel selfish for wanting my kids back in school even if it’s a hybrid model half in half out. I’d prefer 100% in but it seems unlikely.

Mine are young 10&7 and while I will not speak bad of the teachers last year because it was a sudden and unexpected change but my girls learned absolutely nothing at home. The first few weeks where more of a review of what they already did. Then it was a few weeks of new stuff followed by a week or 2 of review and the last week was a fun week over zoom. Most day where 1.5 hours max of work.

I worked full time in the office and my wife worked full time at home. We are not teachers and I can not pretend to be one. I know the answers but trying to teach what I know in a school like setting was very difficult. We muscled through it but sometimes it was the last thing we wanted to do after dinner and a long day.

10 & 7 is the sweet spot of difficulty with at home virtual learning. The material is getting “important” the kids (and teachers) start to feel like they can work independently but they cannot. They can rad on their own but that does not me they can comprehend or teach the lesson to themselves. Very difficult for parents of kids at this age.

Crazy thing is we should have been instructed (even last year) HOW to teach virtually- not how to use gizmos and zoom and screencastify and a zillion other platforms and their BElls and whistles. We should have be taught how to teach like this since we ain’t never done that before. Next year we should be better prepared - NOT! How would we be- still no guidance or even seminars with educators who have taught virtually for quite sometime.

Schools will open - then they will close and your and your child’s experience will be random depending upon the professional teaching.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 8:56 PM, Elmo said:

You just literally posted an article that states hydroxychloriquine isn't proven.  The conclusion at the bottom of your article.

"All of this is to say that the science is not yet settled. It is an open question as to whether hydroxychloroquine in combination with any number of other drugs may have a beneficial effect on the disease course of COVID-19."

So everyone, have no fear, go a head and get exposed because we have a drug that isn't fully tested that may or may not save you.

The left is weaponizing medicine.

https://www.prageru.com/video/ep-146-the-left-is-weaponizing-medicine/

319 kids died of the swine flu in 2009-10 & we didn’t shut schools down. That’s over 10x the number of kids who have died of the coronavirus.

There are 45 million U.S. children in pre-K, kindergarten, elementary, or middle school. Only 28 children aged 1-15 have died of #COVID19. Not 28 million—28. freopp.org/reopening-amer…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Great day ! Went here , 100’s of bikers, Veterans, cops , construction workers ( a few locals were sponsors ) . Bands ,beer , food , a bunch of older  Milfs trying to, get a few more miles out of their bolt ons .

No masks for the most part , nobody asking you to put them on , but then you’d really have to, commit  if you did ....

03840DE9-A93E-468D-9097-407AC2C7DF67.jpeg

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 4

Great day ! Went here , 100’s of bikers, Veterans, cops , construction workers ( a few locals were sponsors ) . Bands ,beer , food , a bunch of older  Milfs trying to, get a few more miles out of their bolt ons .
No masks for the most part , nobody asking you to put them on , but then you’d really have to, commit  if you did ....
03840DE9-A93E-468D-9097-407AC2C7DF67.thumb.jpeg.0d18ca8d456195608137f0f6b08813f8.jpeg

Sounds like a big old group of idiots if you ask me... there is absolutely zero reason not to wear a mask unless you are just a plain old moron

Sounds like a big old group of idiots if you ask me... there is absolutely zero reason not to wear a mask unless you are just a plain old moron

Outside? I never wear a mask outside at parks, restaurants, etc. I’m not hugging random people.

Outside? I never wear a mask outside at parks, restaurants, etc. I’m not hugging random people.

No but you are also not in a concert setting on top of people. I’m sure you maintain your social distance and he made it sound like they did not

• Like 1