Corona Virus Thread

35 minutes ago, coonhunter said:

Over 100 new cases in Oneonta where I live. SUNY College just started last week and it is already shut back down for two weeks. Best part is ZERO in the hospital! They say a few parties last weekend started it all. Who knows, I just keep going to work every week because I just don't care or fear it.I'll be saying it right up until it kills me

Same here.  No fear at all.  My stepbrat is having her collage graduation party here because we're in the "county"...  She wants requires everyone that attends to have there temp taken when they arrive. If they want a drink from the coolers, they have to use hand sanitizer before and after.  Everyone has to say 6' apart. She's wondering why my family has declined to attend.   

Same here.  No fear at all.  My stepbrat is having her collage graduation party here because we're in the "county"...  She wants requires everyone that attends to have there temp taken when they arrive. If they want a drink from the coolers, they have to use hand sanitizer before and after.  Everyone has to say 6' apart. She's wondering why my family has declined to attend.   

The temperature thing makes zero sense to me. Most are asymptotic anyway, so they wouldn’t have a temp. Or say you feel a little off and pop Tylenol and now you brought your fever down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

CDC updates their numbers. 94% of deaths in US had underlying conditions. 2.6 conditions to be exact.

According to the CDC 9683 died in the United States with only having COVID-19 listed on their death certificate.

Nothing surprising or shocking about this. Close to half of all American are obese. People can live with obesity, diabetes, and even cancer for many decades.  In the case you note, Covid is what killed them. 

here’s a link to full reporting on this very unsurprising claim: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/politics/twitter-coronavirus-deaths-false-claim-qanon-trump/index.html 

Please look at the cdc chart on death ages . As most deaths are of people of age that would have a had time living with these 2.6 underlying conditions regularly but i agree covid didn’t help but a lot of these people didn’t have decades left one way or another. think everyone is spinning “facts”

1 hour ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Nothing surprising or shocking about this. Close to half of all American are obese. People can live with obesity, diabetes, and even cancer for many decades.  In the case you note, Covid is what killed them. 

here’s a link to full reporting on this very unsurprising claim: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/politics/twitter-coronavirus-deaths-false-claim-qanon-trump/index.html 

12 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

flu would have too, no?

6 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

C'mon, it's been 5 months now. We're not still comparing Covid to the flu, are we?

for people with those types of underlying health conditions, yes i am.

I know of many people who got covid. Some died, some survived. But all had underlying health issues. I do not know of a single person who truly had no underlying health issues and ever showed a symptom of covid. I'm sure the same goes for you and 99% of americans.

23 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

for people with those types of underlying health conditions, yes i am.

I know of many people who got covid. Some died, some survived. But all had underlying health issues. I do not know of a single person who truly had no underlying health issues and ever showed a symptom of covid. I'm sure the same goes for you and 99% of americans.

If you're physically healthy odds are you'll be more likely to recover from most physical ailments. That's not what we're talking about here. The flu was here before Covid and we didn't have refrigerated trucks parked outside of hospitals to accommodate the bodies piling up in the morgue.  Accepting that Covid has a high transmissibility and that we lack general population-level immunity does not mean that you have to cower in a dark corner of your house. It means that you take simple precautions like social distancing and wearing masks when you can't… not because you’re weak but to prevent picking up the virus and transmitting it to someone who may not be as strong or healthy you.

Edited by Versatile_Hunter

2 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

It means that you take simple precautions like social distancing and wearing masks when you can't… not because you’re weak but to prevent picking up the virus and transmitting it to someone who may not be as strong or healthy you.

Why is this not a thing for the flu?

14 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

The flu was here before Covid and we didn't have refrigerated trucks parked outside of hospitals to accommodate the bodies piling up in the morgue.  

Simply because we weren't prepared for additional dead bodies. We know the flu kills 50K+ every year. Next flu/covid season, we will be more prepared. It  only lasted a few days anyway until the surge was done and those trucks were gone (many never used anyway). Westchester County Center was turned into a huge makeshift hospital, but was never used. Same with Jacob Javits center in NYC. Recently people freaked out about houston being overpopulated, which was not the case and everything is fine again. 

24 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Why is this not a thing for the flu?

If you’re suggesting that we should’ve been wearing masks during the flu season pre-covid, you may be onto something.

The etiology of influenza is actually quite different from SARS-CoV-2, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking. As I said above, Covid is more infectious and because it’s a new virus, we lack immunity as a population. Most people who die from influenza don’t have a flu shot.

The facts are clear and we should be debating (as a society) how to proceed given what we know. Unfortunately, politicization and conspiracy theories are much more interesting to many.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Simply because we weren't prepared for additional dead bodies. We know the flu kills 50K+ every year. Next flu/covid season, we will be more prepared. It  only lasted a few days anyway until the surge was done and those trucks were gone (many never used anyway). Westchester County Center was turned into a huge makeshift hospital, but was never used. Same with Jacob Javits center in NYC. Recently people freaked out about houston being overpopulated, which was not the case and everything is fine again. 

Yes, we weren’t prepared for the corpses because Covid is a new virus with high transmissibility and because we lack population-level immunity or a vaccine (of course, our delay in acknowledging and responding to the virus and a lack of a cohesive national strategy and messaging have only made things much worse).

I don’t think the problem is that we didn’t have enough space in the morgue for the bodies, it’s that people are dying at high rates. The solution here should be to prevent deaths not simply to expand our morgues. It’s remarkable to see how high our numbers got despite a total shut down and a near economic halt.  

25 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Yes, we weren’t prepared for the corpses because Covid is a new virus with high transmissibility and because we lack population-level immunity or a vaccine (of course, our delay in acknowledging and responding to the virus and a lack of a cohesive national strategy and messaging have only made things much worse).

I don’t think the problem is that we didn’t have enough space in the morgue for the bodies, it’s that people are dying at high rates. The solution here should be to prevent deaths not simply to expand our morgues. It’s remarkable to see how high our numbers got despite a total shut down and a near economic halt.  

it's also amazing how nyc is a free for all for months now. homeless and junkies going wild. protests constantly, etc. and yet not a single surge of covid.

• Like 3

If you're physically healthy odds are you'll be more likely to recover from most physical ailments. That's not what we're talking about here. The flu was here before Covid and we didn't have refrigerated trucks parked outside of hospitals to accommodate the bodies piling up in the morgue.  Accepting that Covid has a high transmissibility and that we lack general population-level immunity does not mean that you have to cower in a dark corner of your house. It means that you take simple precautions like social distancing and wearing masks when you can't… not because you’re weak but to prevent picking up the virus and transmitting it to someone who may not be as strong or healthy you.

When can we stop?

52 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

it's also amazing how nyc is a free for all for months now. homeless and junkies going wild. protests constantly, etc. and yet not a single surge of covid.

This, again, is where facts matter. NYC hasn't allowed indoor dining/drinking since March. Homeless people have been removed from crowded indoor spaces. Demonstrations take place outdoors and there is a hell of a lot more mask wearing than you'll see at a Trump rally.

Back to the basics: Covid spreads most readily in indoor spaces. You've had 5 months to learn this.

10 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

No, not me. His base.

I mean c'mon, I'm not nitpicking here. Was it yesterday that the US president re-tweeted QAnon on Covid?

Don't redirect. Do you need to have the leader of our nation tell you to wear a mask? The Governor told you. The CDC told you. Why does the POTUS have to say it to you?

18 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Don't redirect. Do you need to have the leader of our nation tell you to wear a mask? The Governor told you. The CDC told you. Why does the POTUS have to say it to you?

I don't see how "no, not me. his base" confuses you. I can try again.

Whatever is left of the Trump electorate is clearly comprised of folks smitten by his cult of personality. So, yes, having a clear and consistent message on masks from the president is important in convincing this demographic to do a simple and very effective thing.

This is just 1 example of his many failures in managing the Covid pandemic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I don't see how "no, not me. his base" confuses you. I can try again.

Whatever is left of the Trump electorate is clearly comprised of folks smitten by his cult of personality. So, yes, having a clear and consistent message on masks from the president is important in convincing this demographic to do a simple and very effective thing.

This is just 1 example of his many failures in managing the Covid pandemic.

I’m not confused at all Lee. But I am amused that instead of simply answering the question you tell me I’m confused. 
When the left can’t or won’t answer the question, the ad hominem attacks begin.

So it comes down to the POTUS has to tell you to wear a mask. Not the Governor, not your county health department, not the CDC, not common sense, but the Pres has to tell you.

7 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I’m not confused at all Lee. But I am amused that instead of simply answering the question you tell me I’m confused. 
When the left can’t or won’t answer the question, the ad hominem attacks begin.

So it comes down to the POTUS has to tell you to wear a mask. Not the Governor, not your county health department, not the CDC, not common sense, but the Pres has to tell you.

Confusion is often the first step in learning something new. You shouldn’t feel so threatened or attacked by it.

The president, in this case the self-appointed face of the Covid response, needed to maintain a steady and consistent messaging on masks. Yes. I don’t know how else to be any more clear on this.

48 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

This, again, is where facts matter. NYC hasn't allowed indoor dining/drinking since March. Homeless people have been removed from crowded indoor spaces. Demonstrations take place outdoors and there is a hell of a lot more mask wearing than you'll see at a Trump rally.

Back to the basics: Covid spreads most readily in indoor spaces. You've had 5 months to learn this.

you're entitled to believe what you want. I know for a fact most of nyc has been like a college frat party since May. whether it's outside or inside, it's crowded drinking and partying in the streets. I don't care to go back and forth with you. there's been no outbreaks from trump rally's either, right?

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

you're entitled to believe what you want. I know for a fact most of nyc has been like a college frat party since May. whether it's outside or inside, it's crowded drinking and partying in the streets. I don't care to go back and forth with you. there's been no outbreaks from trump rally's either, right?

Not to be cliche, but you are not entitled to your own facts. That's not how this works. I see that you edited out what you typed about it being a different virus. That was a good move.

12 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Confusion is often the first step in learning something new. You shouldn’t feel so threatened or attacked by it.

The president, in this case the self-appointed face of the Covid response, needed to maintain a steady and consistent messaging on masks. Yes. I don’t know how else to be any more clear on this.

Haha, so it’s “I won’t wear a mask unless the bad orange man tells me to”. Got it.