Corona Virus Thread

2 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Really now?  The major leaders of the virus vaccine are 3 from China (CanSino, SinoPharma, and SinoVac), Moderna (US), AstraZeneca (UK), and BioNTech (Germany) which Pfizer made a deal with because Pfizer was so late in the game.  So when Pfizer announced their results "first", it was really off the work of the Germans. BioNTech is just using Pfizer as the big name distributor.   AstraZeneca was in the lead until one patient developed problems so they paused it out of caution.  They then figured out the patient's problem had nothing to do with the vaccine so they restarted again but lost the lead.  CanSino hit a snag in their test because get this...they've eradicated coronavirus from China.  The volunteers have to be in areas of high positive rates.  They were the first to enter phase 3 trials but by that time there were no longer any cases in China so they had to travel to Brazil, Mexico, and Pakistan to get volunteers and set up testing stations there.  It also didn't matter which country it started out from.  The strains that they're testing with was shared freely with every country.  The amazing thing about this vaccine race is that the entire world is coming together jointly to try to come up with the vaccine.

PS: Also, friends of mine in the pharma industry told me that the first vaccine is almost never the one that ends up dominating the market.  It does in the beginning but then the sales reps come in, the behind the back hand shakes take over, and then next thing you know, one of the big pharma's end up selling the most even if theirs isn't the best.

Very interesting, thank you!

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Really now?  The major leaders of the virus vaccine are 3 from China (CanSino, SinoPharma, and SinoVac), Moderna (US), AstraZeneca (UK), and BioNTech (Germany) which Pfizer made a deal with because Pfizer was so late in the game.  So when Pfizer announced their results "first", it was really off the work of the Germans. BioNTech is just using Pfizer as the big name distributor.   AstraZeneca was in the lead until one patient developed problems so they paused it out of caution.  They then figured out the patient's problem had nothing to do with the vaccine so they restarted again but lost the lead.  CanSino hit a snag in their test because get this...they've eradicated coronavirus from China.  The volunteers have to be in areas of high positive rates.  They were the first to enter phase 3 trials but by that time there were no longer any cases in China so they had to travel to Brazil, Mexico, and Pakistan to get volunteers and set up testing stations there.  It also didn't matter which country it started out from.  The strains that they're testing with was shared freely with every country.  The amazing thing about this vaccine race is that the entire world is coming together jointly to try to come up with the vaccine.

PS: Also, friends of mine in the pharma industry told me that the first vaccine is almost never the one that ends up dominating the market.  It does in the beginning but then the sales reps come in, the behind the back hand shakes take over, and then next thing you know, one of the big pharma's end up selling the most even if theirs isn't the best.

The application from Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech came after data released on Nov. 9 showed that their vaccine was remarkably effective. A week later, biotechnology company Moderna announced similarly spectacular results. And federal regulators have cleared the first fully at-home test for the coronavirus and the first antibody treatment for covid-19.

crash effort to develop and make vaccines, partly financed by a huge infusion of federal money and boosted by President Trump, has been a success. 

the left likes to lawyer up the truth with bullshit nothing new .  

The investment in vaccines has been a great triumph,” said Jason L. Schwartz, assistant professor of health policy at the Yale School of Public Health.  

China hackers sought to steal coronavirus vaccine research, says US   

I think you got your info from china I guess 

in a  parallel universe  makes sense that's why they were here trying to steal it lol 

Operation Warp Speed is, in essence, a risky bet: The US program is bankrolling the production of six promising coronavirus vaccine candidates in large quantities before clinical trials are finished. But if the results aren't good, the money is gone.

"If a vaccine doesn't work, you've lost a few hundred million dollars," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told The New Yorker. "If it does work, if it's safe and effective, you've saved four, five, six months of waiting to get people the vaccine. That's huge."

Operation Warp Speed's overall goal is to deliver 300 million doses of a vaccine by January. Since the leading candidates require two shots per person, that would be enough to immunize 150 million Americans — about 45% of the population. The program has outfitted manufacturing facilities with equipment and raw materials to produce needles, syringes, and vials.

In some cases, Operation Warp Speed is also funding clinical trials, allowing companies to move quickly from one research stage to the next.

Edited by phantom

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

China and gov Cuomo also claim the china virus came from Europe lol 

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

Very interesting, thank you!

Operation Warp Speed bought 100 million doses of Pfizer's and Moderna's vaccines before results came in. That $3.5 billion bet is paying off.

Operation Warp Speed is, in essence, a risky bet: The US program is bankrolling the production of six promising coronavirus vaccine candidates in large quantities before clinical trials are finished. But if the results aren't good, the money is gone.

"If a vaccine doesn't work, you've lost a few hundred million dollars," Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told The New Yorker. "If it does work, if it's safe and effective, you've saved four, five, six months of waiting to get people the vaccine. That's huge."

Operation Warp Speed's overall goal is to deliver 300 million doses of a vaccine by January. Since the leading candidates require two shots per person, that would be enough to immunize 150 million Americans — about 45% of the population. The program has outfitted manufacturing facilities with equipment and raw materials to produce needles, syringes, and vials.

In some cases, Operation Warp Speed is also funding clinical trials, allowing companies to move quickly from one research stage to the next.

:rolleyes:

Edited by phantom

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

o  yea right makes perfect sense that is why china government sent spy's here to steal are vaccine research  right lol that is  what you believe lol 

like I said to the other guy its pointless talking to people that cant see what is in front of their  eyes lol  

if trump cured cancer  left would say cancer was good and did not need to be cured  lol 

and china kept that crap a secret for months maybe  over a year  from the world 

only thing they shared was the virus sending it to the world while trying to keep it out of  china    they also share cheap slave labor I guess  and of course their  spy's .   

Edited by phantom

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

o  yea right makes perfect sense that is why china government sent spy's here to steal are vaccine research  right lol that is  what you believe lol 

like I said to the other guy its pointless talking to people that cant see what is in front of their  eyes lol  

if trump cured cancer  left would say cancer was good and did not need to be cured  lol 

and china kept that crap a secret for months maybe  over a year  from the world 

only thing they shared was the virus sending it to world  o and  cheap slave labor I guess  and of course their  spy's .  

That's the generic response to everything.  It's pointless to argue because we're too blind to see the unproven conspiracy theories.  Yet, we'll completely ignore the fact that the is an actual voice recording of Trump saying that the president of China called to warn him back in February about how serious the virus is and he purposely down played it.  It's cool.  How dare we point out facts against Trump?  But spies to steal the technology is why they're in the race?

Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech isn't injecting the virus but only it's DNA.

CanSino and AstraZeneca is using a harmless virus as a carrier to carry coronavirus genes.

Novavax (another US leading company) uses coronavirus proteins but not genetic material.

SinoPharma and SinoVac is using the old method of injecting a dead coronavirus.

All completely different technologies so I'm not sure exactly what and whom are stealing.  Matter of fact, the Chinese companies, SinoPharma and SinoVac are using is the oldest and most common technology.  UEA has been using the SinoPharma vaccine since October for emergency use.

And I wasn't reading bias papers.  I was researching each company in depth because I was investing over $20,000 into the vaccine race.  You best believe if I'm putting that kind of money into them I'm not reading Conservative Times or China News or any other bias article.  In the end, I split the amount on Moderna and AstraZeneca.  I pulled out of it because the competition between them is so close and fierce.

4 hours ago, Elmo said:

That's the generic response to everything.  It's pointless to argue because we're too blind to see the unproven conspiracy theories.  Yet, we'll completely ignore the fact that the is an actual voice recording of Trump saying that the president of China called to warn him back in February about how serious the virus is and he purposely down played it.  It's cool.  How dare we point out facts against Trump?  But spies to steal the technology is why they're in the race?

Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech isn't injecting the virus but only it's DNA.

CanSino and AstraZeneca is using a harmless virus as a carrier to carry coronavirus genes.

Novavax (another US leading company) uses coronavirus proteins but not genetic material.

SinoPharma and SinoVac is using the old method of injecting a dead coronavirus.

All completely different technologies so I'm not sure exactly what and whom are stealing.  Matter of fact, the Chinese companies, SinoPharma and SinoVac are using is the oldest and most common technology.  UEA has been using the SinoPharma vaccine since October for emergency use.

And I wasn't reading bias papers.  I was researching each company in depth because I was investing over $20,000 into the vaccine race.  You best believe if I'm putting that kind of money into them I'm not reading Conservative Times or China News or any other bias article.  In the end, I split the amount on Moderna and AstraZeneca.  I pulled out of it because the competition between them is so close and fierce.

orange man bad that's all you want to here I know lol  its ok lol  Chinese don't steal   nope orange man  just bad lol don't believe your lying  eyes .  Thank good we have hunter biden to fix this problem now lol  much better then the bad orange man .

A new CNBC poll finds that one in five corporations say China has stolen their intellectual property within the last year. Intellectual property, or IP, theft has been a major contentious issue in trade talks between the Trump administration and China. 

Two Chinese nationals have been indicted for seeking to steal Covid-19 vaccine research and hacking hundreds of companies in the US and abroad, including defence contractors, the US Justice Department said on Tuesday.

Li Xiaoyu, 34, and Dong Jiazhi, 33, also targeted human rights activists in the US, China and Hong Kong, assistant attorney general John Demers alleged.

Li and Dong, who are believed to be in China, acted in some instances “for their own personal gain” and in others for the benefit of China’s Ministry of State Security, Demers said.

“China has now taken its place, alongside Russia, Iran, and North Korea, in that shameful club of nations that provide a safe haven for cyber criminals,” Demers said.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:48 PM, phantom said:

I know its pointless  you cant talk to guys like you   don't want to except reality   he streamlined the process cut red tape and made it go faster or how else do you  explain  it  happing this fast did ,china  come up with  the vaccines  first ? nope what about Italy or France ,nope    and   it was in those  country's  first   it  is  silly even talking to you when you cant even see  what's in front of your eyes . That's the   difference when you have businessman    in charge verse a lazy   goofoff career  politician  in charge  like biden who cant even come out the basement to talk to voters . 

Historically it has taken decades to put out a safe, effective vaccine. The chickenpox vaccine took 28 years to develop, for example, as did the FluMist influenza vaccine, which can be sprayed in the nose. That’s because it typically takes five to 10 years of research and development, which includes animal testing, before a vaccine can move to human clinical trials. Then human trials, which happen in several phases, with different numbers of and populations of people, can take six to eight years or more. 

So, you do know I'm a senior biomedical researcher at the front of the field right? With good friends who have been involved in the process of developing and testing various types of COVID vaccines? If you're trying to make a claim that I don't know what I'm talking about...that dog won't hunt. But say it loud enough. I'm sure some folks will listen lol.

And in fact, Russia's vaccine was first. But who's counting? And China right there, too. But why let facts matter? It's all Trump, all the time. His war on Science is what's real, and I don't get how he thinks you can crap where you eat. But I agree that there was an unprecedented GLOBAL push to develop a vaccine, with cooperation between government, industry, and academia. As is appropriate and warranted. 

And I'm not bashing Trump. I'm just saying that his taking credit for this is simply ludicrous. 

Now, when you start talking about China stealing IP - that's 100% correct. A senior Raytheon official working on defense contracts was just indicted this week. Chinese immigrant, naturalized, who sent secrets back to the homeland. It happen a lot. In biomedical research, too. I've actually found several of my own published papers republished without attribution in Chinese language journals. And yet there are some great Chinese scientists who are close friends, so we've got to balance that...

Edited by knehrke
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, phantom said:

orange man bad that's all you want to here I know lol  its ok lol  Chinese don't steal   nope orange man  just bad lol don't believe your lying  eyes .  Thank good we have hunter biden to fix this problem now lol  much better then the bad orange man .

A new CNBC poll finds that one in five corporations say China has stolen their intellectual property within the last year. Intellectual property, or IP, theft has been a major contentious issue in trade talks between the Trump administration and China. 

Two Chinese nationals have been indicted for seeking to steal Covid-19 vaccine research and hacking hundreds of companies in the US and abroad, including defence contractors, the US Justice Department said on Tuesday.

Li Xiaoyu, 34, and Dong Jiazhi, 33, also targeted human rights activists in the US, China and Hong Kong, assistant attorney general John Demers alleged.

Li and Dong, who are believed to be in China, acted in some instances “for their own personal gain” and in others for the benefit of China’s Ministry of State Security, Demers said.

“China has now taken its place, alongside Russia, Iran, and North Korea, in that shameful club of nations that provide a safe haven for cyber criminals,” Demers said.

Read what I wrote.  I never said they don't steal.  I wrote that a thief attributing to their position in the vaccine race is not likely since they're working on different technologies.

21 hours ago, knehrke said:

So, you do know I'm a senior biomedical researcher at the front of the field right? With good friends who have been involved in the process of developing and testing various types of COVID vaccines? If you're trying to make a claim that I don't know what I'm talking about...that dog won't hunt. But say it loud enough. I'm sure some folks will listen lol.

And in fact, Russia's vaccine was first. But who's counting? And China right there, too. But why let facts matter? It's all Trump, all the time. His war on Science is what's real, and I don't get how he thinks you can crap where you eat. But I agree that there was an unprecedented GLOBAL push to develop a vaccine, with cooperation between government, industry, and academia. As is appropriate and warranted. 

And I'm not bashing Trump. I'm just saying that his taking credit for this is simply ludicrous. 

Now, when you start talking about China stealing IP - that's 100% correct. A senior Raytheon official working on defense contracts was just indicted this week. Chinese immigrant, naturalized, who sent secrets back to the homeland. It happen a lot. In biomedical research, too. I've actually found several of my own published papers republished without attribution in Chinese language journals. And yet there are some great Chinese scientists who are close friends, so we've got to balance that...

yea ok go take the Russian vaccine or the china one then . I bet you wouldn't .

15 hours ago, Elmo said:

Read what I wrote.  I never said they don't steal.  I wrote that a thief attributing to their position in the vaccine race is not likely since they're working on different technologies.

yea sure that will not work then just copy the one we have like everything else lol 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

yea ok go take the Russian vaccine or the china one then . I bet you wouldn't .

Wait, I thought you said that we were first? Can you ever just admit that you might have made a mistake and leave it at that? So many problems would be solved if folks were just willing to admit they were wrong and move on. It's this adolescent need to be right, and to have our rightness acknowledged widely, that gets us into some serious trouble.  And if you can't be right, divert. "Look over there!!". As a scientist, I'm used to being wrong. That's how we move forward,. We are constantly building new models on the bones of our old ones. Inching closer to the truth. You never get there without accepting your mistakes.

And FYI, I will listen to the FDA and my friends who are conducting the vaccine trials - I am not going to rule anything out just because it was developed in another country. Would you take the Oxford vaccine? We were at war with England 200 years ago lol. Efficacy and safety. So long as it comes vetted, I'm good.

• Like 5

On 11/20/2020 at 10:19 PM, phantom said:

China and gov Cuomo also claim the china virus came from Europe lol 

I think you misinterpret this.  Trump banned all flights from coming in from China, yes, but the patients zeros that entered the US flew in from Europe.  They were infected with a different strain.

3 hours ago, knehrke said:

Wait, I thought you said that we were first? Can you ever just admit that you might have made a mistake and leave it at that? So many problems would be solved if folks were just willing to admit they were wrong and move on. It's this adolescent need to be right, and to have our rightness acknowledged widely, that gets us into some serious trouble.  And if you can't be right, divert. "Look over there!!". As a scientist, I'm used to being wrong. That's how we move forward,. We are constantly building new models on the bones of our old ones. Inching closer to the truth. You never get there without accepting your mistakes.

And FYI, I will listen to the FDA and my friends who are conducting the vaccine trials - I am not going to rule anything out just because it was developed in another country. Would you take the Oxford vaccine? We were at war with England 200 years ago lol. Efficacy and safety. So long as it comes vetted, I'm good.

and you believe it lol

There you go china and Russia says  they got the real working  vaccine   that IS SAFE first and    corvid 19 came from Europe  so it most be true lol 

and I suppose you believe king Cuomo did a good job managing the virus right lol 

Edited by phantom

4 hours ago, knehrke said:

first safest  one  is what matters . 

china and Russia  are  great with human rights to so we can definitely  trust there vaccine  with out FDA approval lol  

Edited by phantom

Although I agree that our FDA sets the bar for safety and an example to the world - is your entire method of arguing to make fun of what other people think, without providing any substantiating evidence to the contrary? As much as this has been amusing, I must recuse myself - my status as a thinking human being precludes further wasting of time.

I will say that I don't disagree with you completely. lol.

Please don't post four responses to this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Because everyone knows now what it costs to shut down. A 2nd round would finish lots of business and state governments.

I just don’t get why we waited for the vaccine and than open up before everyone that wants it has a chance to get it. 14 days to stop the spread in March was round one we are at round what round 50 and are going to throw in the towel when we may finally have the chance to win the fight. 

Edited by 9jNYstarkOH

2 hours ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

I just don’t get why we waited for the vaccine and than open up before everyone that wants it has a chance to get it. 14 days to stop the spread in March was round one we are at round what round 50 and are going to throw in the towel when we may finally have the chance to win the fight. 

it will be well over three months,probably closer to six before most are vaccinated and immune.