Corona Virus Thread

I hear quite a bit of stuff and am not certain exactly what is accurate. Keep this in mind while reading.  I do believe what I am saying below is true or at least some truth, but cant confirm.

I'm not real sure what is common knowledge but the city of Wuhan is (supposedly) shut down. Public transpo, airlines, cabs, etc not running.  This is a city the size of London. Can you imagine London being shut down???? Hospitals are over run and turning people away.  Also doctors any doctor is now pulled into this. If you are a podiatrist for example, guess what? You are now on infectious disease duty.  Its apparently a law or highly encouraged that you need to wear a mask in public. The situation there is highly under reported.

The virus has spread to a number of other cities that are not yet in the news. There are stories I hear that may/may not be true. The one that sticks out is a sick woman was turned away at the hospital and began to cough/spit/hack on the stair railings trying hard to spread her germs and infect other people. If true, what a .....  

Another a woman "escaped" from Wuhan and returned to France. She was ill and had a fever but somehow alleviated it enough to make it through screening. She posted how happy she was she was able to beat the system. Luckily some people have a heart and turned her in to French authorities after reading these posts. French authorities actually tracked her down and presumably quarantined her. 

Right now is New Year in China. Its a very festive occasion and people travel all over to visit family, friends. The government is encouraging people not to visit others and to stay home. Also, the government has tried to extend New Year, and telling people not to return to work just yet.

An unconfirmed RUMOR is the disease is in Flushing, NY.  JFK has (had?) direct flights to Wuhan so this COULD be accurate. 

One of the things I keep wondering is if a good portion of this is a knee jerk reaction.  The more I hear, the less I think its a knee jerk though. I do think however that the hospitals are overrun with knee jerk people. Some percent of people must have it, but I am guessing its not a high percent.  Also plain old influenza kills people in the US every year. Is this virus any worse or on par???  

Stay safe..

I heard this morn on talkradio - Glenn Beck -that there are only 5 "confirmed" cases in the US but there are 62 more being evaluated.  

One of the concerns with this is that even if your not having symptoms you can still spread it.  And a 10 day incubation period. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

One report I listened to is that the mortality rate is just over the typical influenza rate, roughly 3.X% vs 2.X%. It is in the same family as SARS and MERS. MERS was 10% I believe.

The long incubation period while asymptomatic paired with what appears a strong human to human capability is a bad combo. This thing shows how challenging the inter-connected world we live in today actually speeds up the pace of transmission. 

My guess is alot of these viruses spread like this but don't gain the traction of news stories. Similar in symptom to the flu.

20 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I've even stopped eating chinese food just to be on the safe side. 

You can't get the corona virus by eating chinese food.  I think you're mistaking it for the shit-a-ton-a virus.  :)

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I think there is a forum member here who caught it at White Castle.  Maybe he could chime in.

Ive had it before, years ago. Theres a reason they call them sliders. Little bastards slide in nice and easy, but slide right back out too, usually at a higher rate of speed and with more oomph behind them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ive had it before, years ago. Theres a reason they call them sliders. Little bastards slide in nice and easy, but slide right back out too, usually at a higher rate of speed and with more oomph behind them.

No different than if I come to your home and drink water from your well/creek that you have been drinking from all your life! Takes a little getting used to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. If anyone has a Lysol wipes container, read the back. It says it kills "Human Corona Virus". In other words, this disease is nothing new. 

the flu has been pretty bad here lately. it kills people. the corona virus is a worse version. in a densely populated area like parts of china this is very serious. I'm not sure how you can be so obtuse to that.