Contest Shut Down By Antis

Steve D

I think it was a lack of population control.  I can remember when they were actually protect by Fish & Game in NJ when they first appeared in the wild.  I'm not sure if NY protected them at first.  I have a strong suspicion they were actually transplanted into eastern states by animal rights groups to establish a breeding population they hoped would eliminate enough deer to put an end to deer hunting.  The wolf problem out west may have occurred the same way.  Can't prove it happened that way, but can't prove it didn't either.

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

does anyone know what brought on the boom in coyote populations?  Just curious.  I remember years ago never saw any around.  Return of turkey numbers?  

Great question. When I started hunting in Steuben County in the 80's, we had a couple of packs of wild dogs around the top of our hill that the locals eventually eradicated, but they were definitely dogs and not coyotes. Started hearing the yotes sing at night around the mid to late 90's.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

does anyone know what brought on the boom in coyote populations?  Just curious.  I remember years ago never saw any around.  Return of turkey numbers?  

They are not afraid to travel to find a safer place to call home. Often times they end up in populated areas . Devepments and human pressure drive them to find new areas . They are built for populating as well.  A maginifanct creature ,that requires human interaction to controll the numbers clearly.

The coyote in NY State:

https://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/coyote/coyote.htm

This article addresses deer predation by yotes as well as the problems seen in high yote population areas.

It then dismisses the problems by reverting to the statewide numbers to declare they are not a problem.  If you happen to live in an area of the state where there are many, they ARE a problem.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

You're crazy if you think the pigs arnt winning , those pigs would be long gone if it was possible . It's estimated that wild hogs cost 1.5 billion dollars a year in damages.

he's demonstrated on this thread that he doesn't care about research and facts

17 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Yes they do much damage but do not kill, if they did we would have removed them long ago.  Are they winning yes, they reproduce like rabbits, lucky for us they do not hunt animals.  Did I say they where loosing in my post above?  They are an issue but not as much to wildlife as they are to live stock and farmers.  

lol if you don't think money makes the world go round... 

15 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

I will throw one fact in. You can all but wipe out a Yote population on property you kill them by any means, At any Date. Proven! You will also see kickback from Anti’s and some hunters until Ny wakes up and makes them the Vermin they are with no limits nor seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There already is no bag limits or tags. I dont disagree that there shouldn't be an open season. Do you honestly think that simple change would wipe them out?

3 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Coyotes are vermin.  Good DEC article that explains why.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/6971.html

I am just glad we are following recommended protocol.   We use bullets instead of sticks and stones, but I guess whatever is handy will do.

If you see a coyote, be aggressive in your behavior - stand tall and hold arms out to look large. If a coyote lingers for too long, then make loud noises, wave your arms, or throw sticks and stones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rattler said:

More and more info about coyote trouble is being released each year.  This is from 2018.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2018/03/dec_13_tips_to_keep_dangerous_or_troublesome_coyotes_away_from_you_and_your_pets.html

a guy with a bunch of guns as his avatar afraid of coyotes? Come on man... I'm pretty sure you're older than me, but I've been in the woods since I was 6 and even had a few murder something at dusk 40 yards from my stand during archery. Enough to make the hair on my neck stand up, but nothing to incite fear over. The worst I can ever remember is running into some with my chocolate lab on a hike. I was 12 and had my .22 with me, still they ran. 

14 minutes ago, Belo said:

a guy with a bunch of guns as his avatar afraid of coyotes? Come on man... I'm pretty sure you're older than me, but I've been in the woods since I was 6 and even had a few murder something at dusk 40 yards from my stand during archery. Enough to make the hair on my neck stand up, but nothing to incite fear over. The worst I can ever remember is running into some with my chocolate lab on a hike. I was 12 and had my .22 with me, still they ran. 

No fear.  Just no tolerance anymore.  They're trouble where I live and they can be dangerous.  Can't wait until they start to show signs of rabies around here.  The coons already have it.

Bunch of guns in the avatar.  Count again.  LOL!

39 minutes ago, Rattler said:

No fear.  Just no tolerance anymore.  They're trouble where I live and they can be dangerous.  Can't wait until they start to show signs of rabies around here.  The coons already have it.

Bunch of guns in the avatar.  Count again.  LOL!

ha you know on my screen it looks like 3 or 4 rifles leaning up against a post. When I click your profile and then see the whole pic I now realize my eyes have been lying to me. bad ass gun 

• Like 1

There already is no bag limits or tags. I dont disagree that there shouldn't be an open season. Do you honestly think that simple change would wipe them out?

The words were...All but wipe them out... they are one of the smartest out there and without hitting them at the right time of year, In their youth and by every means you can think of you won’t even put a dent.

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

ha you know on my screen it looks like 3 or 4 rifles leaning up against a post. When I click your profile and then see the whole pic I now realize my eyes have been lying to me. bad ass gun 

Wow... I always thought the same thing, 3 or 4 guns leaning against something.  Rattler you had us fooled by your avatar, you're the original @The Jerkman

• Haha 2

Wow... I always thought the same thing, 3 or 4 guns leaning against something.  Rattler you had us fooled by your avatar, you're the original [mention=3682]The Jerkman[/mention]
Can't be an original 3 years late

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

What many don’t have is the amount of land and the ability to do whatever it takes to get your property back to what it once was or for what you bought it for. Hunting! If you really have a Vermin problem in your area you will 100% have dens in the area with different breeding pairs. That is the only place you will rid the numbers. Hunting will not even make a mark without running dogs in most areas. A good trapper will take out more then a gun hunter. I also believe many do not know what a Vermin problem really.

• Like 1

I know a guy who runs them with dogs , he kills a ton of them . It takes him a couple days pre season , just to knock on all the property owners doors to make sure he can still do it across their land . 

Maybe I should invite him over .

Guys also trap my spot , which may make running dogs problematic ?

Edited by Nomad