Contest Shut Down By Antis

Steve D

I think the Big Problem with Coyotes happen when they start showing up in Daytime - like on the outskirts of a Little League Baseball Game or close to your backyard waiting for the Cat to be let out.

Lol. Or have 3 of them in your backyard with your Lab pinned up against your sliding glass door scratching to get back in the house. Like I said, Most do not know what a true Vermin problem really is. A few pic’s of then killing a fawn or two or taking down a deer in winter is enough to piss you off and want to kill them but that’s not a Vermin problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

In a story I read ,the North Carolina wildlife management stated that " in order for a decline in the population to occur ,90 percent of the population must be removed ,if not managed after that ,the population could return to what it was in as little as 5 years"  I'm not sure if those number match exactly like a state that has winter like the northern states .

1 hour ago, left field said:

Curious, is there anyone here who advocates for the eradication of coyotes in NY?

pretty interesting question to raise. They have very similar debates down south with hogs. Hog hunting has become a thing and generates revenue and wild game meat. On the other hand they're invasive and destroy farmland.

I heard it put real well by a guy from Texas who was anti-hog in the sense that many of us are anti coyote:

"If I had a magic button to press that would instantly eliminate all the hogs from the south would I press it? No"

I think that's how I feel about coyotes. It's clear the numbers are high, it's clear many of us are divided. Some don't want to hunt them for lack of them providing anything or for how they resemble their pets. Others akin them to rats and pests. Others don't want them gone because they enjoy pursuing them.

Personally I wouldn't want them gone. that howl is pretty cool.

The difference between you and I is how we look at the coyote.  You see it through a romantic lens, filled with wonder and amazement.  Maybe because you have little life experience with them.  Maybe because you love dogs and see them as some sort of wild dog.
I see them from a real world experience, practical perspective where they are nothing but trouble.  The more we have around here the more trouble we see.
Just this morning @ 6 AM a big doe ran into the side of my truck in the pre-dawn darkness as I was cruising along at 45 MPH.  It staggered off the road into the field it ran out of.  I got it in the spot light and saw 3 big yotes going after it as it got it's act together and started to run.  I'm sure those yotes chased that deer into the road.  They disappeared into the woods and I could hear the yotes snarling.  I wish I had my rifle in the truck.
NY state probably doesn't have a huge yote problem everywhere, but where they are numerous, they are vermin.
Does your dog on the couch run with other domestic dogs at night and hunt down deer to kill them?  Yotes are far more blood thirsty than most domestic dogs.
I feel people who love them see them as domestic dogs and feel that way because they lack real world knowledge of how troublesome they can become.
I would like to see the "open minded" defenders of yotes get some real world experience in an area where they are a problem, rather than relying on some book smart "scientist" using a global scale to defend the population as a whole, without breaking down the populace into the many different yote types and the differences in their lifestyles, especially where they are big and many.
When you live among a high yote population, where they are yote/wolf hybrids weighing 40 and 50 pounds, all the things that are passed off as "expert opinion" and "science", are exposed as flawed concerning the actual area in which you live.
There is no substitute for real world, practical, in the field experience when it comes to understanding the subject you wish to understand.
Man what a riveting story. I'm glad you escaped with your life from those snarling coyotes next to your truck. Is your alias Growalot by chance? The difference in you and I is that you're terrified of them and I'm not.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

They’re shot on sight and left to rot where I hunt , oh during the open season of course . The pic is from one of my cameras .

3B73206A-BFB2-45AF-821A-2B7B9FA8A178.png

Found this near a camera I was swapping a couple of weeks ago. It was kind of small, like maybe a large fawn or smaller yearling.

Seeing your pic reminded me of it.

IMG_9745.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Man what a riveting story. I'm glad you escaped with your life from those snarling coyotes next to your truck. Is your alias Growalot by chance? The difference in you and I is that you're terrified of them and I'm not.

No kidding!  Just this morning a deer happens to run into his truck and a pack of snarling coyotes are waiting close by behind some bushes to finish it off!!  Sounds almost a bit too good of a story to be true.  LOL

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

No kidding!  Just this morning a deer happens to run into his truck and a pack of snarling coyotes are waiting close by behind some bushes to finish it off!!  Sounds almost a bit too good of a story to be true.  LOL
You think?? What exceptional timing. Fear mongering at its finest.

10 hours ago, chrisw said:

You think?? What exceptional timing. Fear mongering at its finest.

Just goes to prove the state of denial you guys are in.  What do you know about Delaware County, NY?  Ever been here?  What do you think yotes eat the most this time of the year?  Here's a hint: Fast food.

I live here and this story is not fabricated.  We have yotes.  Lots of them!  Want to hunt them?  This is the place to do it.  I must've hit a half dozen yotes with my truck in the last decade and have seen many deer run in front of vehicles while being chased at night by yotes.  The volunteer FD I belong to responds to all of these MVA's so we have records of it.  Why the heck do you think a FD in this county sponsored a yote hunt?

I have no fear of these yotes.  I have simply lost all tolerance for them and shoot as many of them as I can.  I hunt alone, in the dark and want to see them as close as I can get to them.  I do not have the slightest fear they are going to do anything to me.  They have the fear based on what I do to them.

You guys really will never understand anything about yotes because you simply refuse to accept anything that doesn't fall in line with your warm and fuzzy narrative.  Like the saying goes: Ignorance is bliss.

Never had one hit my vehicles, but this guy was one of three that came in after I dropped a buck  in its tracts . Before I could close up my pack and untie my harness ( ladder stand )  three were right on his tracks , unfortunately two got to run off . 

843C982B-293B-4C50-81B4-108679FA4086.png

• Like 2

Just goes to prove the state of denial you guys are in.  What do you know about Delaware County, NY?  Ever been here?  What do you think yotes eat the most this time of the year?  Here's a hint: Fast food.
I live here and this story is not fabricated.  We have yotes.  Lots of them!  Want to hunt them?  This is the place to do it.  I must've hit a half dozen yotes with my truck in the last decade and have seen many deer run in front of vehicles while being chased at night by yotes.  The volunteer FD I belong to responds to all of these MVA's so we have records of it.  Why the heck do you think a FD in this county sponsored a yote hunt?
I have no fear of these yotes.  I have simply lost all tolerance for them and shoot as many of them as I can.  I hunt alone, in the dark and want to see them as close as I can get to them.  I do not have the slightest fear they are going to do anything to me.  They have the fear based on what I do to them.
You guys really will never understand anything about yotes because you simply refuse to accept anything that doesn't fall in line with your warm and fuzzy narrative.  Like the saying goes: Ignorance is bliss.
This will be my last post on this thread. You have yet to post anything science or study based and only rely on your skewed observations at best. Fear comes from ignorance. You tout that you know so much, from what? There isn't a person on this forum qualified to speak about coyote behavior or studies. There are hunters who sit in the woods and form opinions based on very little and speak them as fact. It's a good thing you don't live in an area with real predators, you'd never be able to leave the house.
And I believe that you've convinced a few people following this thread now that you're willing to make up stories or facts to sell your narrative. There's a place for science, biology and studies and there's a place for BS. I'm afraid we're stuck in the latter because you dismiss any evidence that doesn't agree with yours. You go on spreading doom and gloom about the bloodthirsty coyotes. Coyotes are nothing more than a small wild dog that does what it has to for survival, God forbid they utilize the same natural resources that we exploit. Shame on them for wanting to extend their family lines the same as any species. Your right, let's condemn them and do our best to wipe out the animals we don't see fit for our goals.
We all congratulate each other on this site when someone kills a deer or 7 during the season right? Then why is it the worst thing ever that another wild animal does the same? Deer aren't going extinct? The numbers are higher than they should be in a lot of areas. Who cares!? Some people just need something to complain and worry about I guess..... Happy Coyote Extermination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

This will be my last post on this thread. You have yet to post anything science or study based and only rely on your skewed observations at best. Fear comes from ignorance. You tout that you know so much, from what? There isn't a person on this forum qualified to speak about coyote behavior or studies. There are hunters who sit in the woods and form opinions based on very little and speak them as fact. It's a good thing you don't live in an area with real predators, you'd never be able to leave the house.
And I believe that you've convinced a few people following this thread now that you're willing to make up stories or facts to sell your narrative. There's a place for science, biology and studies and there's a place for BS. I'm afraid we're stuck in the latter because you dismiss any evidence that doesn't agree with yours. You go on spreading doom and gloom about the bloodthirsty coyotes. Coyotes are nothing more than a small wild dog that does what it has to for survival, God forbid they utilize the same natural resources that we exploit. Shame on them for wanting to extend their family lines the same as any species. Your right, let's condemn them and do our best to wipe out the animals we don't see fit for our goals.
We all congratulate each other on this site when someone kills a deer or 7 during the season right? Then why is it the worst thing ever that another wild animal does the same? Deer aren't going extinct? The numbers are higher than they should be in a lot of areas. Who cares!? Some people just need something to complain and worry about I guess..... Happy Coyote Extermination.

Best post I've seen on the forum in ages. Thanks Chris. You nailed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to admit I'm with Chris on this one. I really couldn't care less if coyotes kill a few deer across my or the neighbouring property. I never see them though do find their tracks in the snow around my cabin. I do hear them occasionally, especially when they make a large kill. It's kind of a cool sound.

• Like 2

You boys just don't want to accept the fact you don't know jack about this area and what is happening here.  I live here and deal with these yotes all the time.  The deer numbers are down, the turkey numbers are down and the sportsman who brought their money to spend here are far fewer now.  If you don't believe it, look up some of the facts you so admire and find out.

I keep telling you the coyote info that applies to the overall population doesn't mean diddly in some areas where they have become numerous.

Thanks for showing how much you don't support the coyote contest or the hunters or the community.  The anti's are proud of you and welcome you all with open arms into their meetings.

Be thankful you're out of reach when you call someone a liar too.

I'm done with you fools.

• Like 1

Rattler, you're not the only one in Delaware County. While I'm not there full time I spend a hell of a lot of time in the woods and on the rivers and I just don't see hordes of coyotes. I do see lot's of deer and turkey. Whether those numbers are historically up or down I couldn't say.

Looking at a study this morning it seems that Belo's contention that trapping is the only effective means of number control is correct. Shooting only serves to open up territory and opportunity for the beta males and females to breed thereby increasing overall numbers.

You may conceivably be making the problem worse. Why do you hate deer?

Aw-w-w-w-w........Look at how the big, bad, evil, hunters want to shoot all those cute little wild puppy-dogs. How terrible. You know if coyotes looked like opossums, nobody would say a word. But they look too much like our family pets, and the human mind melts into a puddle of goo.

Perhaps when the next epidemic of rabies, distemper, or mange comes along, that method of control will be much more easy to accept. Those kinds of things are the alternative way of population control when it comes to coyotes. I guess not too many people think about the fact that other than man, coyotes are pretty much uncontrolled at the top of the food chain here in NYS and many other states. Perhaps reading up on the symptoms of some of these canine diseases would put hunting in a much better light. None of them are a very nice way to go when compared to a bullet.

• Like 6

Aw-w-w-w-w........Look at how the big, bad, evil, hunters want to shoot all those cute little wild puppy-dogs. How terrible. You know if coyotes looked like opossums, nobody would say a word. But they look too much like our family pets, and the human mind melts into a puddle of goo.
Perhaps when the next epidemic of rabies, distemper, or mange comes along, that method of control will be much more easy to accept. Those kinds of things are the alternative way of population control when it comes to coyotes. I guess not too many people think about the fact that other than man, coyotes are pretty much uncontrolled at the top of the food chain here in NYS and many other states. Perhaps reading up on the symptoms of some of these canine diseases would put hunting in a much better light. None of them are a very nice way to go when compared to a bullet.

Best part is I would bet the farm that these comments come from guys that do not even hunt the animal and have no actual experience but read from 30 year old science. Most will never see a true Vermin problem.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

So you're saving coyotes from the pain of these horrible affictions? 

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Who has said anything even remotely close to awww they're so cute ?

I didn't read anyone say that hunting for coyotes should be stopped.  All some of us are saying is that they will never be wiped out no matter what some of the "experts" here think.  Add to this that there are less hunters out there every year even for the popular game animals like deer and turkey and people have less time to devote to hunting in general so does anyone realistically think that these coyote contests or the relatively few who do hunt coyotes on their own will ever put a significant hurting on them??  I have mighty little confidence that they will.  This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this subject.

• Like 2

I didn't read anyone say that hunting for coyotes should be stopped.  All some of us are saying is that they will never be wiped out no matter what some of the "experts" here think.  Add to this that there are less hunters out there every year even for the popular game animals like deer and turkey and people have less time to devote to hunting in general so does anyone realistically think that these coyote contests or the relatively few who do hunt coyotes on their own will ever put a significant hurting on them??  I have mighty little confidence that they will.  This pretty much sums up my thoughts on this subject.

True That. And right or wrong, Anyone that really has a Vermin issue and are not will to take the law into their own hands be it right or wrong will never even scratch the surface of the problem. Our whole problem started prob 8 years ago when a piss poor farmer had cows... That he did not care for..And Lost, let them lay dead in the fields only to have 3-4 yotes out at them during mid day at times. Different family groups moved into the area at made dens. We had 4 dens on our property at one time. Years of all out war 24-7 all year and running dogs every winter around the local area had all but taken them out. The only time you will really take out the problem is when you take out the den. The young are history and the adults are taken out during the year. But again very few will ever see a real Vermin problem but will know when you do. Your hunting property will no longer be YOUR hunting property.

• Like 1