Contest Shut Down By Antis

Steve D

On 2/8/2020 at 6:27 PM, Steve D said:

I for one do not hate coyotes, black bears, or much of anything. But when they become destructive and more aggressive I thing steps should be taken to reduce the impact they have on others.

I agree... and the key word here is destructive... a coyote doing what it does naturally (eating to stay alive) is not a reason to try and eradicate coyote populations, but because man has eaten up much of our wildlife habitat for development it is necessary for man to also help keep populations in check. However, we should always be careful not to give preference to one animal over another... that is not conservation... that is selection... and who are we to decide which of God's animals are more important than the others?

• Like 1

People sign petitions all the time but they only work if the legislators fear your vote.  The time to stop these things has passed.  With an leftist in the State House, supported by a rubber stamp legislature, there is no stopping anything they want to ram through.

Elections are our only hope for the future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rattler said:

People sign petitions all the time but they only work if the legislators fear your vote

You may be right but at least doing something is better than nothing.

3 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Elections are our only hope for the future

We have also had our opportunities at that and failed. I agree with you 100% but as long as voters remain complacent like you have been saying it is only going to get worse. 

I just found this coverage of the Humane Society making its case on newyorkupstate.com -- https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2020/03/humane-society-condemns-ny-coyote-hunt-contest-as-cruel-wasteful-unsporting.html.

Someone spoke to the bad optics of these contests. You may not care what the general public thinks. However, the politicians do. From a messaging standpoint, they are winning.

• "participants were “piling up dozens of dead coyotes, weighing them for cash and prizes before discarding some in a trash dumpster.”
  • Jack Danchak, president of the sportsmen’s Federation: “We’re helping to deplete an exploding coyote population,” he told the newspaper. “They are all over this state.....are increasingly targeting not only wild turkeys and deer, but sheep, chickens and goats being raised by farmers.” And if given the chance, will go after small pet dogs and cats, he added.

• “wildlife management professionals and scientists stress that killing coyotes in these contests will not yield more deer and turkey for hunters.” The group, citing a Pennsylvania wildlife biologist, stated that “wild carnivore species like coyote and foxes do not ‘overpopulate.’ They self-regulate their own numbers based on available habitat and food sources.”

• "New York’s wildlife belongs to all of its citizens, not just those who selfishly use and kill animals as disposable objects in a contest for cash and prizes.”

Danchak way overstates the case, and is full of bunk on the "exploding population". The dumpster thing looks really bad. With the current makeup of NYS government, they have a winning issue. 

• 5 months later...

This is Delaware County this morning.

Hi , I am so worried, my flock of sheep was attacked by coyotes early this morning and 3 lambs were killed and the rest broke out of the pasture and are still missing . There are 40 sheep black ewes with white lambs. The ewes are wearing bells which are pretty loud . I am up on Maggie Hoag rd in Delhi/Delancey.
They may have made there way down to 28 near St. James church. Or could be near Cabin hill road.

It has been my experience that the "Humane Society Of The United States" is the biggest organizer of mass anti hunting attacks to stop events such as in the original post. If they catch wind of anything they believe they can disrupt it is almost guaranteed they will be in attack mode. They have a multi million dollar budget.

Below is their agenda straight from the Horse's mouth! By the way they are Democrat supporters!

Al

================================================================================

"As a matter of principle, The HSUS opposes the hunting of any living creature for fun, trophy, or sport because of the animal trauma, suffering, and death that result.

"If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would." 

"Our goal is to get sport hunting in the same category as cock fighting and dog fighting." 

"We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States ... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state. 

Edited by airedale
  • Thanks 1