What watch to get as a wedding present

Marion

As you all know or most know I'm getting married end of June and the fiancé wants to get me a watch. Figured I might as well throw this thread out there for the resident horologists on their takes for what watch to consider. Looking to keep it between 2k to probably max would be 5500. Really want something that will look nice both dressed up as well as down. Figure I'll be wearing it at the wedding so would want to look nice in a tuxedo but also be enough to wear more casually at work (business casual) as well as on weekends (usually just an untucked button down and jeans or shorts. Sometimes a polo and occasionally a short sleeve T-shirt. And likely somewhere in the 40mm or less diameter a few above and below are also ok. Just don't want it to look ridiculous and huge on my wrist. Looking forward to reading the responses.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Definitely personal preference here, but I have an Oris that I love.  Leather band and can be dressed up or down.  I previously owned a couple of nicer metal band watches, but they always seemed too dressy for daily wear.  Plus, they seem to become dated quicker.  My oris has a large diameter face which makes sense for me, but they sell different sizes and styles.  I will say its performed flawlessly for the 8 years or so that I have owned it.  Falls in your price range.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Christ, you guys are giving each other gifts just because you are marrying each other??  No way would I spend that much on a watch.  If she insisted on giving me something worth that much money I'd take a $35 Timex and the rest I'd prefer in cash. 

You'd probably shit a brick if I showed you the ring I bought her.

Definitely not as "high-end" as say a Breitling or Rolex, but I would not snub a Victorinox. I have one, and the thing is really sharp. All Swiss made with Swiss movements. Even though the bulk of their watches are quartz movements, they still have some automatics in their line-up. Their INOX watches are famously tough, if not a little "modern" looking. Still, their line is worth a look.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Watches/Mechanical-Watches/c/TP-mechanical-watches?ScrollPosition=2500&maxResults=30

Edited by Splitear_Leland
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

You'd probably shit a brick if I showed you the ring I bought her.

No, I don't think I would.  The idea behind marriage from my view is that you are giving yourself to her and she is giving herself to you.  Those are the gifts that are most important and will make marriage work over the long haul.  I guess I am a lucky bastard that I chose someone who cared little about how big the ring was.

• Like 2

No, I don't think I would.  The idea behind marriage from my view is that you are giving yourself to her and she is giving herself to you.  Those are the gifts that are most important and will make marriage work over the long haul.  I guess I am a lucky bastard that I chose someone who cared little about how big the ring was.
Oh believe me I don't disagree with you one bit. And honestly it was my choice to get her the ring that I did. She was expecting something less than half the size that I got for her. It was my own personal choice to give her the one I did because I wanted her to have something that she can cherish forever along with being married to me. She would have been just as happy with one from a gumball machine. I just wanted to give her something that can also be passed down through the generations as well. End of the day I think we both agree that the partnership is worth more than any jewelery or material things. It's all about spending and committing the rest of your lives to each other no matter what.

Rolex is the only brand recognition that watch fans and non-fans will recognize as a status symbol nearly across the board. Some might argue that based on a few others such as Omega, etc.

I'll probably get tomatoes thrown at me for this, but go get a $1-2K Tag Heuer Formula One and be done with it. It's entry level luxury and while the high-nosers will try to point out the flaws and that it is not luxury, it'll keep time and still retains brand recognition to the overwhelming majority of people - non-watch fans. Trying to impress people into watches is impossible because of one-upsmanship. Someone will always whip one out and set it on the table that is bigger, badder, and more expensive.

I've found that most people recognize Tag Heuer as a luxury brand. I have a few and I'm shocked at the number of people who recognize it. 

Take the savings and go do something else with it. 

Rolex is the only brand recognition that watch fans and non-fans will recognize as a status symbol nearly across the board. Some might argue that based on a few others such as Omega, etc.
I'll probably get tomatoes thrown at me for this, but go get a $1-2K Tag Heuer Formula One and be done with it. It's entry level luxury and while the high-nosers will try to point out the flaws and that it is not luxury, it'll keep time and still retains brand recognition to the overwhelming majority of people - non-watch fans. Trying to impress people into watches is impossible because of one-upsmanship. Someone will always whip one out and set it on the table that is bigger, badder, and more expensive.
I've found that most people recognize Tag Heuer as a luxury brand. I have a few and I'm shocked at the number of people who recognize it. 
Take the savings and go do something else with it. 
Oh there is always going to be fancier watches. The head of sales on my desk suggest a Patek Phillippe I was like yeah think that's gonna be a bit out of my range seeing as they start pretty much at 20k+ and go into the millions

when the wife and i went to jared for our bands, we got a "deal" for spending as much as we did. Her gift to me, was allowing me to buy my watch, which I wear just about every day and love. Only downfall is every few years I have to send it to germany to have the battery replaced and keep the waterproof. It's super well made and a good heavy weight that I like. I've smashed it real good a few times and there isn't a scratch.

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-us/watches/aquaracer-chronograph-43-mm-cay111a-ba0927

I bought this one about 4 years ago and it's my outdoor watch. Thing is also indestructible and doubles as a barometer (don't really use), compass (have used quite a bit) and alt (used a few times in the mountains for giggles). It's a great hunting watch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082A4WPE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this neat feature on my cell and it shows the time. No need for a watch lol!! JK

I am not a watch guy. I have a fancy looking handmade one that was gifted to me from work that sits in the safe. I think the last time I wore it was 10 years ago.

I'm sure some of these guys will steer you right though!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh there is always going to be fancier watches. The head of sales on my desk suggest a Patek Phillippe I was like yeah think that's gonna be a bit out of my range seeing as they start pretty much at 20k+ and go into the millions

I specially did not want a watch where everyone would know the brand but wanted a quality automatic watch that could be passed down.  If you are trying to impress, stick with the well known brands (rolex, omega, tag, etc.), otherwise there are quite a few quality options that fly below the radar of most except those into watches.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh, you're a salesman. That changes things, at least historically it has. I think recent trends have been toward middle of the road watches in Sales. Consumers are wise to the fact that if the high end watch or MB/BMW is present with the salesman, it's likely because they are funding it, and can create some obstacles to overcome subconsciously. 

That part has been talked about alot here at my company. I'm an Ops guy and when I have one of my Tags on, sales leadership gives me less crap at introduction. It sounds funny, but it's actually true. Plus it opens a door for us to have something more in common. Once I demonstrate some knowledge they tend not to push back on usual Sales tactics to get deals done. 

An Omega might be a good one to look at for you.

• Like 1

I specially did not want a watch where everyone would know the brand but wanted a quality automatic watch that could be passed down.  If you are trying to impress, stick with the well known brands (rolex, omega, tag, etc.), otherwise there are quite a few quality options that fly below the radar of most except those into watches.
Want a little bit of both. As anyone that's met me knows I'm not the hey look at me guy. I'm just an average dude. I definitely love and enjoy the finer things in life when it comes to items I plan on having forever (guns, toys, etc) but I'm also not the guy that would freak out because someone touched something nor would I go around "hey look at my fancy new watch I'm amazing". I find it best to have nice things and if people notice so be it and you act like a regular dude. Grew up around too many stuffy rich people that I refuse to associate with. Better to have money but be humble about what you have. We work hard to get to where we are. People recognize the work especially if you're not an ass about it

Oh, you're a salesman. That changes things, at least historically it has. I think recent trends have been toward middle of the road watches in Sales. Consumers are wise to the fact that if the high end watch or MB/BMW is present with the salesman, it's likely because they are funding it, and can create some obstacles to overcome subconsciously. 
That part has been talked about alot here at my company. I'm an Ops guy and when I have one of my Tags on, sales leadership gives me less crap at introduction. It sounds funny, but it's actually true. Plus it opens a door for us to have something more in common. Once I demonstrate some knowledge they tend not to push back on usual Sales tactics to get deals done. 
An Omega might be a good one to look at for you.
Oh absolutely. Currently middle office looking to move back to front office where I started my career. Decided to take a step back from trading and now gearing up to move back into a more client facing role. Plus I figure I only need one or two watches in my life. I want her to have it engraved with something special when it's given to me. So as I move further in my career I have a nice watch that can grow with me. But one that is also versatile too

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh absolutely. Currently middle office looking to move back to front office where I started my career. Decided to take a step back from trading and now gearing up to move back into a more client facing role. Plus I figure I only need one or two watches in my life. I want her to have it engraved with something special when it's given to me. So as I move further in my career I have a nice watch that can grow with me. But one that is also versatile too

Understood. I'm kind of in the same boat with watches - more a necessity in my line of business but I want something that reflects who I am. Tag fit that and I am happy to keep wearing the few I have. It's blasphemy but every single Rolex I've ever seen or looked at stylistically is just ugly to me. I couldn't and wouldn't want to own one. 

• Like 2