What watch to get as a wedding present

Marion

Understood. I'm kind of in the same boat with watches - more a necessity in my line of business but I want something that reflects who I am. Tag fit that and I am happy to keep wearing the few I have. It's blasphemy but every single Rolex I've ever seen or looked at stylistically is just ugly to me. I couldn't and wouldn't want to own one. 

Oh I couldn't agree more! They are just kind of blah IMHO. The sales head told me straight up he goes stay away from Rolex they can't keep time for shit and it's $1,000 every 3 years for a tune up to get it squared away. Was looking at some Tags online with the fiance last night. So definitely potential in the running. All going to end up depending what looks best on my wrist. Hopefully start looking in the next few weeks or so then can figure out based off the suggestions here and trying them further advance the decision

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh I couldn't agree more! They are just kind of blah IMHO. The sales head told me straight up he goes stay away from Rolex they can't keep time for shit and it's $1,000 every 3 years for a tune up to get it squared away.

Not to mention that everyone and their brother owns a fake one.

• Like 2

Most of my friends have Breitling’s near your price range. I prefer Rolex as a personal preference. I’ve almost pulled the trigger several times on a Day Date, but everytime I get close I can’t justify it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not to mention that everyone and their brother owns a fake one.
I think I have a decent fake one my bro grabbed me from China about 15 years ago. At least 10 years ago. It was an automatic and actually a pretty decent watch

My short answer would be Omega , 40mm ha , a fellow small wrist guy ? 
Grand Seiko is nice too but at your upper limit , I really like Hamilton’s ( I have 3 ) but a much lower price point then your looking for .

The Rolex Forum has a large for sale area of all brands, you can get like new and grey market Rolex’s for good prices . Funny story , Mrs Nomad asks “ why are you going to the bank “, me , “ I’m buying a Rolex off a guy in California.”

Her ,” you’re send thousands of dollars to a guy in California and hoping he sends you a watch !? “ me , “ No , I’m depositing thousands right into his bank account , and hoping he sends me a watch ! “

Not sure where you got your diamond , I have a guy who’s a diamond broker , I get VS, VVS and so on for about 1/3 of what a jeweler sells them for . In case any local guys are interested , but I gotta personally know you to give the referral. 

• Like 1

Grand Seiko is nice too but at your upper limit , I really like Hamilton’s ( I have 3 ) but a much lower price point then your looking for .

The Rolex Forum has a large for sale area of all brands, you can get like new and grey market Rolex’s for good prices . Funny story , Mrs Nomad asks “ why are you going to the bank “, me , “ I’m buying a Rolex off a guy in California.”

Her ,” you’re send thousands of dollars to a guy in California and hoping he sends you a watch !? “ me , “ No , I’m depositing thousands right into his bank account , and hoping he sends me a watch ! “

Not sure where you got your diamond , I have a guy who’s a diamond broker , I get VS, VVS and so on for about 1/3 of what a jeweler sells them for . In case any local guys are interested , but I gotta personally know you to give the referral. 

Oh I got my diamond for wholesaler cost. He's one of my dad's best friends from when they were in diapers. If I bought that ring at retail I'd be looking tens of thousands of dollars more. Which would be out of my price range haha

• Like 1

i'm out. i've got an Invicta and a couple Fossil watches. Black or brushed metal with metal bands. wear a watch every day. i don't plan on passing them down. they'll be worn out before then. in all honesty the 2 fossil watches have each been refurbed once. current one i have now has a couple scratches in the refurbed face. think ones from a chain i was hooking up to the truck to pull some shrubs when i had just gotten it back and the other is from i think debris using an electric jackhammer to prep the slab location for my garage. if i wanted to play dress up and needed one the didn't look like it needed to be buffed out i'd probably go with a Tag. nobody in my circle cares though.

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

diamond i got my wife was a loose round brilliant on the high end of VVS with only a couple inclusions that are on top of each other. the setting with ornate engraving and pavers doesn't mean anything. as long as it's clean it's like a beacon from across the room, which is what i wanted. definitely agree with the VVS in that cut. anything on me might as well be made of tin, watches included as long as they work. lol

10 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh I couldn't agree more! They are just kind of blah IMHO. The sales head told me straight up he goes stay away from Rolex they can't keep time for shit and it's $1,000 every 3 years for a tune up to get it squared away. Was looking at some Tags online with the fiance last night. So definitely potential in the running. All going to end up depending what looks best on my wrist. Hopefully start looking in the next few weeks or so then can figure out based off the suggestions here and trying them further advance the decision

I gotta disagree here, mine keeps time very well . I know a number of guys with Rolex, a number  of them blue collar guys , a welder, a handful of Firemen , all wear them on the job , all have held up fine .

I know one guy who sent his in for servicing and he owned it many more years then 3 , mines 7 years old and rock solid .

Heres one of my Hamilton , May be more of a sport look then what you want, I don’t use the bracelet any more I rock it on a Zulu strap, although I have a leather strap, black with red stitching that matches nice too .

Id love to get. yacht master II , but at 44mm and no curved lugs ,just to big 

BAFF9393-C5AB-47BB-9801-4EEA89E666E2.png

I gotta disagree here, mine keeps time very well . I know a number of guys with Rolex, a number  of them blue collar guys , a welder, a handful of Firemen , all wear them on the job , all have held up fine .

I know one guy who sent his in for servicing and he owned it many more years then 3 , mines 7 years old and rock solid .

Heres one of my Hamilton , May be more of a sport look then what you want, I don’t use the bracelet any more I rock it on a Zulu strap, although I have a leather strap, black with red stitching that matches nice too .

Id love to get. yacht master II , but at 44mm and no curved lugs ,just to big 

BAFF9393-C5AB-47BB-9801-4EEA89E666E2.thumb.png.425d0e214680571a5eb6f1e9f2ea5ea2.png

I've looked at Hamilton's in the past. My bro has a nice one. He's also got the breitling blackbird which he got as an engagement present from his wife. When I tried his I knew right away that was way too big. Felt like I had a giant watch shaped anchor on my wrist. Not to mention it looked ridiculous on my sissy arms haha

1 minute ago, The Jerkman said:

Same here. There's plenty of money in my family and extended and they have fancy watches and such, but the most I'd ever get is a good work to the fiance for picking it and comment how I like it and how they like it then it's old hat. Neither of which matters to me. Though I must say I do enjoy when people comment her ring. And when I get reports from her about people at stores and salons that like it. Let's me know I done good

exactly. having a rider on an insurance policy for it specifically doesn't cost much in comparison to the comments making her feel good.

exactly. having a rider on an insurance policy for it specifically doesn't cost much in comparison to the comments making her feel good.
Oh just the first few weeks of looking over at her and catching her just staring at her hand made it worth every penny. She still does stare longingly at it here and there, though she tries to hide it from me haha.

44 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Oh just the first few weeks of looking over at her and catching her just staring at her hand made it worth every penny. She still does stare longingly at it here and there, though she tries to hide it from me haha.

She’s staring at it and thinking “WTH did I agree to?”

:)

Edited by Lawdwaz
Added smile so nobody takes me seriously.
  • Like 1

Ha this tread brought me luck ! Wife is cleaning out our dining room hutch, she found a nib woman’s Bulova along with a Congratulations card , somebody missed out .
Hot diggity! Or did you just put it there for safekeeping and forgot about it?

In the early seventies I found a Seiko seventeen jewel automatic in the road...needed a new crystal and a cleaning, but it is still running. I would have to think about one of their line, I would say Rolex but can you get one within that price range? They are the standard to go by otherwise.