Public Land..

LET EM GROW

Hey All,

So I'm looking for some public land to predator hunt on to give my spots that I have currently a cool down.. I am using the App Huntstand since my ONXmaps script ran out..

Is there a difference in terms of hunting access on these "public" properties..??  I see some  labeled as "Non Governmental Organization(NGO) with different easements, & others labeled "State Department of Conversation(SDC)" which some state restricted access, and some that state open access.. Sorry if its a dumb question.. never used Public Lands before other than picnics and Sunday Drives and such..  

Are Only State parks Accessible  for hunting? (SDC) and (NGO properties) are off access?

I will be checking out the DEC website later as well.. 

Im mainly looking at pieces between Steuben/Allegheny County North thru the Finger Lakes..  

Thanks in advance 

from driving by several places it seems only lands that are posted (SDC)State land have access to hunting.. the rest don't even seem to be posted as government properties. 

I also wish maps from all over would be current with the times.. Some state lands are listed as personal properties still and vice versa... when clearly they are free to public use.. 

Guess it's just boots on the ground, and rubber to the road.. 

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 10:24 AM, LET EM GROW said:

So I'm looking for some public land to predator hunt on to give my spots that I have currently a cool down.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 10:24 AM, LET EM GROW said:

Im mainly looking at pieces between Steuben/Allegheny County North

If you lived to be a 100 you could not possibly hunt all the state land in and around your area. The biggest problem you will run into is areas were they don't plow the roads. A lot of them can only be accessed by snowmobile, walking or skiing. You can usually drive up to the borders and walk, snowmobile or ski in as far as you are able.

Some of the areas I have hunted down that way are drivable up to a point but 4-wheel drive is a must.

https://gisservices.dec.ny.gov/gis/dil/

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steve D said:

If you lived to be a 100 you could not possibly hunt all the state land in and around your area. The biggest problem you will run into is areas were they don't plow the roads. A lot of them can only be accessed by snowmobile, walking or skiing. You can usually drive up to the borders and walk, snowmobile or ski in as far as you are able.

Some of the areas I have hunted down that way are drivable up to a point but 4-wheel drive is a must.

I agree, I live within a few minutes of 20k+ state land acres, around Allegheny, Steuben and Livingston counties that are not easily accessible once snow falls. But the ones easily i would try, though id imagine many others try there spots too, since many others are much harder to get to during winter. 

Im mainly looking at areas around Honeoye south through Springwater.. since these are on my daily commute to work 

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

from driving by several places it seems only lands that are posted (SDC)State land have access to hunting.. the rest don't even seem to be posted as government properties. 

I also wish maps from all over would be current with the times.. Some state lands are listed as personal properties still and vice versa... when clearly they are free to public use.. 

Guess it's just boots on the ground, and rubber to the road.. 

Do they have open fields or planning to hunt timber?

On 1/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, RangerClay said:

I use Google maps to find public land.  Don't use the satellite function.  Shows every square inch of state land.  I use it to find neat hunting spots all the time.

the DEC interactive map is great for showing all state land and even access and parking spots.  it has Sat imagery and topo layers too. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Do they have open fields or planning to hunt timber?

Alot of the region around the FLX have some open areas, But the further south you go.. It is mostly all timber. Which I dont mind Daylight hunts in the Timber... Can make for fun up close action  

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

the DEC interactive map is great for showing all state land and even access and parking spots.  it has Sat imagery and topo layers too. 

I will have to look deeper into this, I only glanced quick and it seemed like they only listed the bigger areas. I drive by a few that i did not find on the map, Some spots that looked good, but boundaries would be nice to know as well. Thanks Bob. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Im mainly looking at areas around Honeoye south through Springwater.. since these are on my daily commute to work 

The link I provided should give you all you need to get started. Both areas are pretty hilly and get very steep in some spots but there are areas to hunt. Both areas get traffic from hikers, skiers, snowshoers,   etc. The good news is snowmobiles or motorized vehicles are not allowed. It does get hunting pressure but could not truthfully tell you how much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I will have to look deeper into this, I only glanced quick and it seemed like they only listed the bigger areas. I drive by a few that i did not find on the map, Some spots that looked good, but boundaries would be nice to know as well. Thanks Bob. 

look at the layers menu on this. You can turn different labels and such on and off. It maybe why you didn't see what you were excepting. 

• Like 1