Night vs, thermal, lights

bartm

Anyone use thermals, night vs, or lights to hunt coyotes? I usually hunt the early am with none of these and have had some good success calling dogs with mouth calls. But I’m interested in night hunting. Not only would it be cool to see how the dogs use the area but it would be cool to see how all animals use the night. any suggestions on optics? or goggle set ups? don’t want to break the banks on $$$$$$$ thermals but have been looking at some of the pulsar optics.

If you have Netflix, check out the new series called Night on Earth.  Much of the first two episodes is filmed in thermal.  Really cool footage.  I have a pulsar thermal scanner and scope.  Been very happy with both.  Break the bank is a relative term, but obviously more money than lights and most night vision, which will get the job done too. 

17 hours ago, moog5050 said:

If you have Netflix, check out the new series called Night on Earth.  Much of the first two episodes is filmed in thermal.  Really cool footage.  I have a pulsar thermal scanner and scope.  Been very happy with both.  Break the bank is a relative term, but obviously more money than lights and most night vision, which will get the job done too. 

Ive been looking at some of the thermals in that 1k range and Ive read that if you are going to buy one got for the higher end. If you dont mind sharing what did your set up cost? I dont think the return will be high enough for me to buy a 4k set up for coyotes in NY. Love the sport but i go out maye 5 time a year. So might be better off with a light set up.

Good lights will run you under $300 for scan light and gun light.

"Cheap" nv scope will run $500-$700 then you need a ir light to go with it so $200. You can scan with that or get a handheld scanner, something like a Bushnell equinox z2, lookin at another $325ish.

Better night vision runs $1400ish

Thermals start around that $1400 and go way up to $7000+.

Sort of related to topic . I have a seek reveal pro handheld thermal I use for watching the deer patterns at night in the fields. Once I see them I use a igen 20/20 digital NV monocular to watch them. It works good for entry level NV ,the downside to digital is it requires constant user input to see optimal images ,focus and gain adjustments. You can get really close to a gen3 image with digital in some conditions.

1 minute ago, bartm said:

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I think I'll start with a light and see how I do with that first. Then move on to better optics with NV and thermals.

Someone has a deal on a top notch kill light for sale in the hunting classifieds.  lol

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:24 PM, moog5050 said:

Someone has a deal on a top notch kill light for sale in the hunting classifieds.  lol

would this someone happen to be you? LOL Ill have to take a look. I went to the Harrisburg show this weekened and those pulsar scopes were super cool. Too much for my blood though.

Night vision or Thermal is where its at. This year I switched from redlight and I bought entry level Sightmark Wraith the stock Light that comes with it will get you to 200-250yrds no problem.. I have zero complaints... To extend your range you would want a bigger better IR light. But i highly recommend this plus a 25$ external battery pack.. You be in maybe 500-550$ total.. It is a chunk of change, but well worth it if you have the extra couple hundred to spend. You can scan and shoot with the gun.. Sometimes a pain, but sometimes scanning with a headlight or spot/scan light is as well.. 

9 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Night vision or Thermal is where its at. This year I switched from redlight and I bought entry level Sightmark Wraith the stock Light that comes with it will get you to 200-250yrds no problem.. I have zero complaints... To extend your range you would want a bigger better IR light. But i highly recommend this plus a 25$ external battery pack.. You be in maybe 500-550$ total.. It is a chunk of change, but well worth it if you have the extra couple hundred to spend. You can scan and shoot with the gun.. Sometimes a pain, but sometimes scanning with a headlight or spot/scan light is as well.. 

Ill have to look into this option as well. See if I can find any good deals on these. 500 seems affordable. Might look for something additional for scanning.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bartm said:

Ill have to look into this option as well. See if I can find any good deals on these. 500 seems affordable. Might look for something additional for scanning.

i bought a used bushnell equinox z for 150$.. its a night vision monocular.. The stock setup of this will get you a couple hundred yards as well.. but an additional bette rIR light will get you even more.. I heard of some places having "blem" or "opened box" versions these Wraith HD optics for discounted prices.. A fella i spoke with just got a Wraith for 399$  

I run an ATN NV scope along with a Wicked Lights IR/red gun light, a red scanning light and a red headlamp. If you look over on some of the predator hunting sites like PredatorMasters, etc you can find great deals on used equipment to keep your budget in check. My next move will be thermal, but I have other things to spend money on before I do that.