I want to buy Hunting Land

Geno C

Well i am back in the market looking for some property to buy. If anyone has any info or sources please fill me in.

Ive looked at so many properties over the months and can not seem to find anymore places to look. i figured id ask because i know some of you may know of some spots listed locally for a good price that may not be listed on a website.

any help or info would be great. i have cash in hand also...

thanks

Geno

I go to zillow.com and type in a county and your price range. Then you will see some properties available. I also look at craigslist (hudson valley, albany, etc) and try hunting land, hunting property, etc under for sale, and under housing. Good Luck.

Seems like there's a bunch for sale in Sullivan County and as always places like Oswego County, etc and those other depressed counties near Lake Ontario.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Geno, you seem to have plenty of places to hunt, why would you want to buy land? Just curious. If one has land to hunt I don't know why someone would be paying good money to buy more land and then pay an ever increasing amount in taxes each year. I guess it's nice to have your own camp and land, but to have it just for hunting alone isn't worth it in my opinion. Especially if it's a long drive away. You can probably go on a nice hunt in another state each year for what you will be paying in taxes and maintenance on a small chunk of land. That is how I see it anyway. Living on it full time is one thing, but buying land just for hunting never seemed like a good enough reason to me.

Geno, you seem to have plenty of places to hunt, why would you want to buy land? Just curious. If one has land to hunt I don't know why someone would be paying good money to buy more land and then pay an ever increasing amount in taxes each year. I guess it's nice to have your own camp and land, but to have it just for hunting alone isn't worth it in my opinion. Especially if it's a long drive away. You can probably go on a nice hunt in another state each year for what you will be paying in taxes and maintenance on a small chunk of land. That is how I see it anyway. Living on it full time is one thing, but buying land just for hunting never seemed like a good enough reason to me.

Agree. Unless the property can turn you a profit someday or you plan on living there, whats the point just for deer season? you can only shoot 2 bucks anyway. You're better off buying property in CT, where you can shoot like 6 bucks or whatever the laws are there with landowner tags lol.

even just $50K is 10 nice $5K hunts or 5 nice $10K hunts, or 1 insane $50K sheep hunt! I like variety, but thats just my opinion. I'd rather go on Elk, Muley, Antelope, Grizzly, Sheep, Wolf, Mt. Lion, etc hunts than just own a piece of property in NY for Whitetails.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Agree. Unless the property can turn you a profit someday or you plan on living there, whats the point just for deer season? you can only shoot 2 bucks anyway. You're better off buying property in CT, where you can shoot like 6 bucks or whatever the laws are there with landowner tags lol.

even just $50K is 10 nice $5K hunts or 5 nice $10K hunts, or 1 insane $50K sheep hunt! I like variety, but thats just my opinion. I'd rather go on Elk, Muley, Antelope, Grizzly, Sheep, Wolf, Mt. Lion, etc hunts than just own a piece of property in NY for Whitetails.

I do consider myself lucky, since me and my uncle pay a friend of ours $800 each for the exclusive use of his house and 180 acres of land for the entire hunting season. Now where would I get that much land along with a house on it for less than $800 in taxes per year?? Nevermind what the initial cost of such a property would be! Yeah, it's probably not the greatest hunting land in the state, but with persistence we have never gone deerless in any season up there. Yeah, I realize that this friend could one day sell this land or decide not to let us use it. That is always a possibility, but until that happens I myself could never justify buying even an acre of land for hunting. Even the smallest piece of land would end up costing me way more, plus all the other headaches associated with owning it. If I one day ended up without a place to hunt, I would sooner go on an outfitted hunt somewhere each year, than pay thousand upon thousands for the property and taxes for something I will be using only a few weeks out of each year.

There's an argument to be made for owning or not owning. For me, i got tired of never having definite plans each year- always having to ask to jump in with friends; and always being given the crappiest stand. The upfront cost is definitely a factor. But, even if the land value doesn't appreciate, when and if you sell, you'll probably at least get your initial investment back- and your only expense will have been the taxes. My taxes on 20acres is about what Steve is paying each year. For now, i love knowing that every year i don't have to depend on anyone for a place to hunt. i get to learn my land, hang stands where i want, and hunt as much as i choose. maybe i'd feel differently if i had steve's setup.

• Like 1

or you can just hunt NYS Land, DEC watershed properties, etc. There are so many places to hunt that some people have no idea about. I have been on watershed property hunting many times and never see a trace of another hunter on a piece of land 100-400 acres.

I hunt on private property (8 acres) and can get a buck every year. I also hunt watershed properties where I see bucks every year and no hunters.

Heres a whole list of properties! http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/recreation/recreation_maps.shtml

Many of these receive little to no pressure from hunters.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Good points, Virgil. I don't think I'd like the uncertainty of whether or not someone was going to let me tag along or not, but like was mentioned in another thread, there is also plenty of state land these days that goes virtually unused if all else fails. After opening weekend many of these places are almost untouched. I pretty much hunt these days just to get a little venison for the freezer. I know a lot of state land isn't prime deer habitat, but I am still confident enough in my hunting ability that I could bag something on it if I absolutely didn't have any other place to go. If it were only $800 in taxes for 20 acres of land I'd bet we would all own some. The big problem is the initial cost of the land. To pay some of the prices I have seen for nothing but woods, just isn't worth it in my opinion.

I just feel that I look forward to hunting season all year. Owning my own land takes away the variables- will i find someone to tag along with; if i hunt state land, will it be filled with hunters and no deer; will someone be sitting in my treestand, etc. etc. For me, it's the peace of mind that justifies the expense. All the stress each year was really taking away from the enjoyment. Since i bought my land, hunting has become a passion again.

• Like 1

Maybe he is thinking of his family for them to have a place that they can enjoy them selves some ppl can and do have long term plans

Very true, but if the place is too far away, the trek will get OLD real fast. Children grow quickly, go to school, get into so many activities these days, there is less and less time to regularly go to a place a good distance away. I have seen it all before. I couldn't imagine having my wife and kids make a long trek weekly, monthly or even every other month. Everyone is different of course, but I for one would never count on wives and kids to like going back to the same place for any lengthy period of time. If you are going to use something for family vacationing purposes only once or twice a year, then you are WAY better off just renting a country house somewhere for a week or two at a time. Will cost you NOTHING in comparison to buying, maintaining and paying taxes on a place of your own.

I just feel that I look forward to hunting season all year. Owning my own land takes away the variables- will i find someone to tag along with; if i hunt state land, will it be filled with hunters and no deer; will someone be sitting in my treestand, etc. etc. For me, it's the peace of mind that justifies the expense. All the stress each year was really taking away from the enjoyment. Since i bought my land, hunting has become a passion again.

Get ready to faint....I agree with you Virgil...lol. When Dad and I were looking for a place the initial outlay for the property was the stumbling block. That is why we went the timber company lease route. Two reasons. We could get into it right away and they really have no interest in the land except to log it avery 15 years or so. I probably wouldn't lease from a private individual because they could change how they wanted to use the property.

We did consider buying but to be honest I really like the area out here in Region 8. Dad is in 6 and wouldn't come this far. That is why we looked at the area we did in 7. When I no longer have him (and I hope that is many years) I will probably not keep the lease and will look for property around me. Until then we can use what we have like it is our own....JUST DON'T CUT THE TREES...lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I know of a camp and 5 acres in Brookfield, NY. Very clean year around camp surrounded by state land. It is in WMU 7M, in the Charles E Baker State Forest. I believe the asking price is $87,000.

Charles E Baker State Forest:

This property totals over 9,400 acres in southeast Madison County and makes up the core area for the Brookfield Trail System. This highly acclaimed horse and snowmobile trail system has over 130 miles of trails set throughout three state forests that make up the Brookfield unit management area. These three forests collectively provide 13,750 acres of public reforestation lands for multiple recreation purposes.