I want to buy Hunting Land

Geno C

Geno want to invest in some land so why should any of us stop him yea hes got places to hunt maybe would like to try doing somthing he cant do on other props i say if you can buy it then do so good luck

Who's stopping him?? It's his money and he could do whatever he wants with it. The thread just sort of took a turn in the pros and cons of owning land just for hunting, that's all.

Geno, you seem to have plenty of places to hunt, why would you want to buy land? Just curious. If one has land to hunt I don't know why someone would be paying good money to buy more land and then pay an ever increasing amount in taxes each year. I guess it's nice to have your own camp and land, but to have it just for hunting alone isn't worth it in my opinion. Especially if it's a long drive away. You can probably go on a nice hunt in another state each year for what you will be paying in taxes and maintenance on a small chunk of land. That is how I see it anyway. Living on it full time is one thing, but buying land just for hunting never seemed like a good enough reason to me.

i do have plenty of spots to hunt, but 1 i would like am investment property, 2 a place to retreat to something thats "my own" where i can do what i want and just another place to hunt/camp on.

lol thats really it. sold the car so id like to take some cash and put it into something lucrative.

yea you rite but id rather see land purchased for hunting than see another development we are way over built here in dutchess

Well, you are right on Dutchess county being over built. I can't see it going back the other way, though? Plus, the cost of land in Dutchess isn't in the same ballpark as land in other regions. One would have to cough up big money even for a few acres. Most people will probably buy land for hunting elsewhere where they get more for their money.

look guys i am not looking for why i should or should not buy land. Its something i always wanted and usually when i want something i bust my butt or figure a way to get it... i have money that I DONT want to blow on hunts and then its gone i want to put it into land and have something THAT IS MINE. then graduate to something different and besides you can always make money on land if its marketed right and the right person comes along. I dont buy things to loose or break even i buy to gain, its just the type of person i am.

Well, you are right on Dutchess county being over built. I can't see it going back the other way, though? Plus, the cost of land in Dutchess isn't in the same ballpark as land in other regions. One would have to cough up big money even for a few acres. Most people will probably buy land for hunting elsewhere where they get more for their money.

You think Dutchess is bad? lol......look at Putnam and Westchester. People selling under 2 acres in Putnam now for $200K.

$190K for 1.79 acres in Mahopac > http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/reb/2611489683.html

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

You think Dutchess is bad? lol......look at Putnam and Westchester. People selling under 2 acres in Putnam now for $200K.

I'm sure you are right. That is why Putnam or Westchester would be the LAST place in the world I would ever buy hunting land in even if I were loaded with money. These counties to me are suburbia. I really have very little interest in hunting in suburbia, never mind actually buying land in it to hunt. Putnam and Westchester are a far cry from what I consider a true country setting.

im looking to spend 20 - 30k... lol you guys think im rich?! lol

dutches? holy crap thats as close to the city as you can get, TOP DOLLAR. for 50k i can get an acre! that would be cool i can have all of you guys hunt it with me... lol cmon

dutches? holy crap thats as close to the city as you can get, TOP DOLLAR. for 50k i can get an acre! that would be cool i can have all of you guys hunt it with me... lol cmon

No kidding! You'd have to be nuts to buy land in any of those counties exclusively for hunting. Well look at it this way. If we all come up to hunt your 1 acre, any deer that might come in has absolutely NO chance of escaping alive. One of us 20 hunters is bound to put a bullet or arrow into it!! There will surely be some backstrap for supper every day we are all up there! Mmmm yummy! Thanks Geno for inviting us! LOL

A little over ten years ago I was looking for land to buy for hunting. What I found made me think twice. First the cost of land . Then the taxs. When you buy land just for hunting , you have to pay recreational taxs on it. They are a lot higher then residential taxs. You can't put in a food plod and call yourself a farmer, It don't work that way. So I went with looking to lease land and found out that that all land that can be leased are not for use year round.(bad). Now I live in Broome county (zone 7) and today if you looking to buy land hold on to your hat. With all the gas co. buying up all the minerals rights and land rights , you may find some cheap land and wake up one morning and find a big time gas co .building a road by your camp across your food plod and over your no.# one tree stand. If you don't think this can happen you better think again because if they have the land rights they can do any thing they want. This has happen not to far from where I live. The people sold their rights to a gas co and never read the find print and woke up one morning with the gas co. building a road across their front yard and they could do nothing about it.

I will tell you what I did that was to join a hunting club. It cost me $300.00 dollors a year for dues, plus two work weekends. out of four a year and to sell 200 50/50 or buy them myself. For this I get 1400 acre of land to hunt on , run my four wheeler , get fire wood and a camp to stay in any time I want for 365 days a year. I don't stay at the camp because it is only 15 min away and I like my own bed. I hunt deer there and turkeys and it is just a good place to go to and have some good times with the guys.. .

A little over ten years ago I was looking for land to buy for hunting. What I found made me think twice. First the cost of land . Then the taxs. When you buy land just for hunting , you have to pay recreational taxs on it. They are a lot higher then residential taxs. You can't put in a food plod and call yourself a farmer, It don't work that way. So I went with looking to lease land and found out that that all land that can be leased are not for use year round.(bad). Now I live in Broome county (zone 7) and today if you looking to buy land hold on to your hat. .

Noodle. I need you to clarify something. What the heck is this recreation tax you are tlaking about. I have friends that own undeveloped land and it is way cheaper than land with a house or structure. And just FYI there are leases out there that are for year round and exclusive use. I am in one. I know many just lease te unting rights for the season but full leases are available

Noodle. I need you to clarify something. What the heck is this recreation tax you are tlaking about. I have friends that own undeveloped land and it is way cheaper than land with a house or structure. And just FYI there are leases out there that are for year round and exclusive use. I am in one. I know many just lease te unting rights for the season but full leases are available

Receational tax came about 15 or 20 years ago by Broome Co. when they were looking to get more money for the county. Now they can't say to you that they are going make you pay 10 % tax on your land and all the while all of your neighbors are only paying 7% assessed value of their property because that would be discrimination. All the assessors in the county got togetter and came up with a plan that called for higher assessment on property that is not your legal residence where you live or is not a working farm and was bought just for hiking hunting ,fishing or just running around on. What the assessers are doing is assessing your hundred acres of land at a higher property value than your neighbors hundred with a house on it that he lives in year round. when you go to grieven day on your property taxs the assesser is going to tell that he feels your land is more valuable than your neighbors and there is not to much you can do about it and he will make something up to prove it. When this first started all the locales called it the land recreational tax. You will not find any thing in the tax books about it ,but that how it is. The county and the assessers think that if you aford to buy land to play around on, then you can aford to pay a higher assessment on property value I am sure if you started looking around you would find that most county do this.

My property is 325 miles away. Takes 6 hrs to get there, I have a long term plan and will move up there in about 8 years. All the points brought up are valid. For me hunting in the Finger lakes is awesome, worth every mile I drive. I love my property and my neighbors are great. I lease to a farmer 20 acres and it cuts the taxes in aprx half. It's a big decision buying land, currently with the Marcellous gas play going on you have to be careful.

Good luck-oh-there is nothing like taking your first buck on your own property! JMHO

Geno I think you are on the right track myself. Look at it this way you can lease a piece of land. From what I can tell it averages about 2000 for 100 acres. You could lease that for say 10 years and you spent 20,000 dollars on land you dont own cant cut a darn live tree on it etc. Or you can go out and buy for example 50 acres thats for sale in Corland for 59,000 for 10 years. Yes there are still taxes on it of course to be paid but in that county I suspect your taxes are going to be around 2000. So now you own 50 acres, you can develop it, do whatever the hell you want and then in those same 10 years turn around and sell it for what you paid or more, unless you mortgage it. Play it right and you can get more. Land is a great investment. If one has the monatary funds to buy land I highly recomend it. Your not wasting your money. So to wrap it up a lease for 2k gets you just that a lease, 50 acres for 59k plus taxes its a no brainer. You still lose the 2k you would of spent on a lease anyways but you have the potential to turn a profit or atleast get your money back and do whatever the hell you want within legal limits of the law. I have both. The lease is the worst invenstment I have ever made. I enjoy the land and family time on it but have wasted my money not to mention I was stupid enough to let family convince me to build a camp on it as well. That was a huge mistake looking back. Yes I have first right for leasing when the lease expires every 5 years but I can never take the camp and move it nor get any money back for building it. And I cant stop the logging company from selling it out from under me. Did I mention that was stupid. Go find your piece of heaven enjoy the hell out of it. If you are intersted in that 50 acres in cortland county I can call my buddy who was going to buy it until his wife found out what he was up too.