Multiple/ pack of coyotes

turkeyfeathers

In all my years of being in the woods I’ve never seen more than one at a time. Many instances of hearing what sounds like multiples barking , yipping and howling. Only one trail cam pic of 2 together ( this year ) over the years too. Once when I was hunting Eagle/ Bliss I did cut 4 sets of tracks descending down a big hill . Each set 50-75 yards apart and could tell definitely hunting down to the bottom and into the wind. Was pretty neat to see the pack hunting scheme played out in the snow. I know a friend of a friend caught a triple last year trapping. Was neat pic to see. 
What’s your experience of seeing multiple coyotes together ? 

Ive called in a pack of 6 yotes about  at once, 10 years ago, on one of my first sets ever. I believe it was January. And hunting early season yotes when they still may be with their mother ive called at a pack of 8 with lip squeaks while deer hunting opening day of bow season. Got 1..  Hunting with a just a cheap scoped rifle, ground snow and moonlight(if there was any) .. Most times, especially this time of year its a pair that come in or singles.. but not always.  

Saw two together just one time I think, usually singles.

2-3 years ago, early morning but good daylight I had five chasing a doe and fawn out of the woods across one corner of the field I was watching (bow season). I use the term chasing loosely as they looked more like they were running with them or almost playing rather than chasing them. It may have been an adult and her youngsters. That was the only time I saw a group.

At night we'll hear the different groups sound off to each other, sometimes from three different directions. Who knows how many there actually are, but it sure sounds like a bunch. I really do like listening to that.

I think I have some Tcam shots of pairs or three.

On the farm property, it's usually singles and pairs seen. Though it holds many more coyotes. At the lake property though, for some reason, many times I'll see four to six of them together! Especially during bow season. They always are following the ridge, into the wind. Had a member hunting with me in there a year or so ago. He was low, I was higher up the ridge. Shortly after I got settled in, a pack of five went right between us on the lip of the bank. Busting out a large mature buck that was bedded there! I caught a glimps of it, as did Jdubs. But neither of us had a shot. I did almost lip squeek in one of the yotes though. All were BIG coyotes too. As they usually are over there.

• Like 2

...."Once when I was hunting Eagle/ Bliss .." . You better be careful. Hunting Eagle can land you in jail.. Never hunted a Bliss before.

Seriously, I have only seen three yotes total. A single while out with the xbow. And a pair out with my 30-06 while whitetail hunting.  

One can never tell how many are actually there based on howling. One or two can sound like 10 and one or two could have a bunch with them that don't say a word.

The most I have ever had come to a call at once that I could see and count was 5. It was a moonlit night with snow on the ground and I could see them plain as day with out a light.

• Like 2

I've seen mostly singles, lots of doubles, once had three come out of a small sliver of woods on a drive and once had four or five come by me on an early season bow hunt. The first one I ever saw was totally black on opening day of PA gun season 20+ years ago. It was my first time hunting PA, I was young and didn't know if the season was open or not during deer season. Man did I catch hell for that back at the cabin we stayed at when the day was over. I never actually killed one until about 5 year's ago where I now live and since then I've killed a handful all during deer season.

I have seen mostly singles and a few doubles.   If I ever get a crack at a pair again, I will aim for the smaller of the two with my first shot.  The last time it happened (with a pair feeding on a bait pile on a moonlit night), I took my first shot at the big male. I then sprayed a few more at the smaller female, as they bolted away, with my Ruger 10/22.   I found the male the next morning (Remington yelow-jacket thru both lungs) 40 yards from the pile, but no sign of the female.   Just like with deer, killing the females is a lot more effective for population control.   

The only time I saw more than two, was in June when the hay was just cut, and the pups would come out and play in the daylight.  It is too bad that NY state don't let us shoot them then.   I think the local population is down these days in WMU 9F, based on increased fox sightings (coyotes do not tolerate foxes in their territory). I only saw one coyote last throughout last deer season.  I blew my chance at that one (looked like a big red-tinted male) when it heard my frozen blind window crack as I slid it open.    It would have been a standing broadside 50 yard "chip-shot" at 10:00 am in the late-morning.