Thompson Center Encore Pistol

Stein13

18 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Aren’t they available in umpteen calibers ? So depends on the chambering for recoil 

Very true!!!my grandfather loved both of his.had em in .223,357 mag,357 harriet,45 colt/410,44 mag and 45-70(boy did that bark!).need to get my pistol permit ASAP as someone close to the family is holding onto it for me!!!!uncle had it in 7mm-08 also

Edited by doebuck1234

I have a couple . 308 and 708. Also a contender in 357 max . Some calibers are pretty snoty in the pistol configuration .  They shoot well . Some tweeking  and reloading will make them real tack drivers. Shooting them in a hunting situation can be challenging. Most guys use a rest .  I for one wont shoot it off hand . It's just not comfortable  for me .

I have the Thompson Contender in 44 mag , 7-30 waters , 223 and 22 . I don't like shooting the 44 mag . It kicks . I have shot deer with the 7-30 waters and woodchucks with the 223 . One of my sons had an Oncore in .308 and sold it . I don't think he care for it .

4 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

500 S&W is more than I care to shoot out of an encore ... down right painful. Closed breach  amps it above  the revolver. I shot it with some pretty stout  hand loads topped with a heavy for caliber bullets .

.500 s n w was dumbest thing ever created next to Utica club NA beer 

• Like 3

Kicking myself in the ass.  Multiple times, for selling that pistol...

Had a TC hunter package in 7x30 waters back in the day.  

Took 4 deer with that pistol. Farthest was 170 yrds.  Thing was far more accurate than I was capable of. 

I  killed a few deer  with a Contender  in .35 Rem and .356 Win and an Encore in 7mm08...Killed a few more with a Rem XP 100 in .260 Rem....All shot well but I did all of my shooting lying flat on my belly with a bipod or resting over a hay bale, except for one close shot ( about 30 yards) when I rested against a tree trunk...My longest shot was about 230  yards with the XP 100  lying prone with a bipod....

I had a ported 7-30 waters barrel on my Contender . I was over at the range shooting . I thought I would try something that might work when hunting in the woods . I placed my left hand on a tree trunk and placed the fore arm of my Contender across my wrist . When I fired , the ported barrel caused tree bark dust to blow in my eyes . It took 3 days for my eyes to clear up .

I swapped the ported barrel out for a Hunter Barrel . No problem .

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

Never understood drilling holes  in a perfectly good barrel. 

I had it done once, with a tang Safety Ruger M77  in .338 Win mag that kicked the dogshit out of me...

It  did reduce the recoil a little, but not that much, and made it loud as hell... Once while I was working up loads  at the range, I took a break and removed my earplugs..

When I took the next shot, I forgot the plugs and when the rifle went off I thought for a moment it had blown up...