So you think you know coyotes in NY? Do you?

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

Happens all the time, but you will never see them if they see you first.

I’m pretty new at this turkey hunting thing, I’ll try and keep my eyes peeled for those crafty buggers.  Thanks

Edited by Lawdwaz
I shorted peeled by an e

40 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Not sure how many times I have to correct you guys, but once again, it's not fear and hatred, it's intolerance.  Check the definitions of those works in the dictionary and maybe you'll be able to comprehend the concept.

The hits just keep on coming.

Intolerance: unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own.

The lush vegetation during the spring conceals their movements and approach.  A couple of times I have had a yote's head pop up from the low brush about 20 feet away, then duck quickly and run.  Never even heard a sound as it moved in or when it left.

I've also heard of bobcat attacking turkey hunters.  They come in so quiet you will never hear them coming.

7 minutes ago, left field said:

The hits just keep on coming.

Intolerance: unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own.

As does the myopia of the opposition.  Use a dictionary correctly.

Definition of intolerant

1: unable or unwilling to endure.

7 minutes ago, Rattler said:

The lush vegetation during the spring conceals their movements and approach.  A couple of times I have had a yote's head pop up from the low brush about 20 feet away, then duck quickly and run.  Never even heard a sound as it moved in or when it left.

I've also heard of bobcat attacking turkey hunters.  They come in so quiet you will never hear them coming.

By “lush vegetation” you must be a field hunter??

I hunt the woods.....

18 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I’m pretty new at this turkey hunting thing, I’ll try and keep my eyes pealed for those crafty buggers.  Thanks

Pffft.....

Rookies.:rolleyes:

Really the amount of wildlife in this state is getting totally out of hand.

We should get the Gov. to pass some laws.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Rattler said:

No woods hunting.  My place has a lot of low brush pockets in many areas when I can hide on the ground.  Brambles, ferns and young trees with lots of leaves.  It stands about 2 to 3 feet tall.  Very green in the spring.

Sneaky.........

Where do the birds roost, the neighbors woods or do they spend evenings in the fields?

30 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sneaky.........

Where do the birds roost, the neighbors woods or do they spend evenings in the fields?

They roost in the trees on my land.  When trees are logged, vegetation grows thick anywhere the canopy lets sunlight hit the ground.

While I think much of the concern about coyotes is way over the top, I will admit to having been made nervous a few times. Several times while surveying for owls at night, a noisy pack has raised my blood pressure. That is not due to any rational fear. It's something from comes from my brain stem.

The last one I encountered while hunting was walking right at me. If, at about 30 yards, I hadn't whistled, it would have been in my lap. I like a little distance. It was a great experience. 

I am not unrealistic about the potential for problems. We never allow ewes to lamb outside. There appears to be a correlation between shepherds who have coyote problems and those who let their sheep lamb on pasture.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, left field said:

I think they both work. The first describes you. The second, me.

image.png.632a8aaf17e9e062190ef145b9f63833.png

Clearly, this one  ^ ^ ^  is a Western coyote, based on the desert features usually shown in the cartoon.   NY has the Eastern variety, which is part wolf and much bigger.  This is pretty well explained in the opening video that Rattler posted.   

I have never killed a coyote while deer hunting, but I could have last year, if I had only opened the back window of my blind (faced the neighbor's field), like I did the side ones, as soon as I got in there well before sunrise.   They were so froze up that it made a heck of a racket, and I had a hard time opening them.   I did not bother with the back window, because I prefer not shooting deer that are not on my property.  I regretted that decision, when a big red-phase coyote showed up in the middle of that field, 75 yards away, about 2 hours after sunrise.   I never seen one move as fast as that one did when I tried to crack open that window.  He was gone, over the horizon, before I could get to my gun.  

I very rarely hunt turkeys in the spring, but I do recall a very large male coon approached me in the woods one morning as I was making hen calls.  It was so long ago, that I can't clearly recall the details of what happened next, but I think it might have involved a shovel.    I may have had similar experiences with young coyotes and a .22 rimfire, in the summer after the hay was cut, but again too long ago to remember clearly. 

I did kill on big male coyote, legally, from my bedroom window, over a carcass pile, around midnight, with a .22 from about 100 yards away.  I took a few shots at his mate as she bolted off after the initial shot but no signs of a hit in the snow on her.   His hide got tanned and now hangs next to my bar in our billiard room.   

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Clearly, this one  ^ ^ ^  is a Western coyote, based on the desert features usually shown in the cartoon.   NY has the Eastern variety, which is part wolf and much bigger.  This is pretty well explained in the opening video that Rattler posted.     

Thanks for clarifying that the impact on prey animals and behavior of a cartoon coyote isn't applicable to the situation here. I was going to suggest that Rattler invest in a series of gadgets from ACME and seed them around his property in the hopes that the coyotes might try and use a few but I guess being part wolf, they wouldn't fit.

Perhaps a sheepdog...