Why Conceal carry

Buckmaster7600

A good discussion at work that continued to a group chat about why we conceal carry cane up the other day so I figured I would see what your guys take on the subject is.

Why do you conceal carry?

Is it for your safety/your families?

Do you feel it’s your duty to protect those around you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my permit for quite a few years and only started carrying on a regular basis the last couple of years.

The way our society is going you never know when some nut job is going to show up in your life or the lives of others and change your life forever.

Like @airedale says being prepared for any situation is the best thing. I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :triniti:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not from any raffle or banquet I don’t 

I have three of those ! 

I try to carry as much as possible , I gave up,on the only carry when I think I’ll need it way of thinking long ago , if I knew that I’d stay home . 

I try to be my own “ First responder “ a term I never cared for btw . I know if the daughter who’s local  has an issue , either with an ex BF or something weird going on , I can most likely beat the cops there, depending on how she phases the 911 call and how many calls they’re backed up,  because they always are .

My single stack 9 sits on top of the refrigerator right next to my wallet , don’t leave home without it. 

Frankly one reason is large dogs, there’s so many in my neighborhood , I watch women walk them and they can’t control the dogs at all , the dogs pull them around like a waterskier . I had two pits pull a lady across the street towards my beagle, each went on a different side of me, tangling me up in the leashes, fortunately they were ok dogs, but I did slip my hand in my pocket .

For the record, alot of counties have "sportsman's" restrictions on permit holders. Carrying a concealed firearm (with a permit of course) outside of your "restrictions" is not a law violation. It is simply an administrative violation. I'm not saying that getting caught won't result in a suspension/revocation of your permit but it technically is not illegal and you can't be charged.
A gun is a tool. I carry tools in my truck for whenever/whatever they are needed for. If I don't need them, all the better.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chrisw said:

For the record, alot of counties have "sportsman's" restrictions on permit holders. Carrying a concealed firearm (with a permit of course) outside of your "restrictions" is not a law violation. It is simply an administrative violation. I'm not saying that getting caught won't result in a suspension/revocation of your permit but it technically is not illegal and you can't be charged.
A gun is a tool. I carry tools in my truck for whenever/whatever they are needed for. If I don't need them, all the better.

That's what I have and all they will issue in Oneida county. "hunting, fishing, hiking, target".  And yes you are right but you will def lose your permit.  And from what I have heard they can take your firearms and possibly all of them, not just pistols. 

• Like 1

That's what I have and all they will issue in Oneida county. "hunting, fishing, hiking, target".  And yes you are right but you will def lose your permit.  And from what I have heard they can take your firearms and possibly all of them, not just pistols. 
I'm not sure exactly but I highly doubt they could get away with taking all of your long guns also. After all, there are no criminal charges so what would you be charged with? A lot of variables obviously but just a bit of info for anyone who wasn't aware...

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I'm not sure exactly but I highly doubt they could get away with taking all of your long guns also. After all, there are no criminal charges so what would you be charged with? A lot of variables obviously but just a bit of info for anyone who wasn't aware...

Was told that by a pistol instructor. He said they can take all your guns. And chances are you will get them back.  After two years and lawyer fees.  

The reason I have only one pistol, cause I can only carry under those conditions.  Ridiculous. 

I have had a full carry permit since getting it in the early eighties. I do not carry at all times....first, my work place absolutely forbids it, and in my opinion actually does create more of a risk. 

Although we can not control our surroundings at all times, I believe I am pretty good at understanding my surroundings and knowing where I will be. That said, to carry one must have a full understanding of where it is legal to (and in this day and age there are more legal restrictions ) and my ability to truly keep it concealed. 

When I am traveling, especially overnight I will be carrying. When I go into the city or unfamiliar areas with my wife, I carry. My intention is that no matter what, I am optimizing our ability to get home again safetly. When ever I am out in the woods or off the beaten track, I will be. Now, if I am deer hunting, my handgun will probably stay in the camp or car. I figure my rifle /shotgun easily takes its place, and not only that, the actual human threat when in the woods is near nonexistent. 

as important as carrying the gun is avoidance. Know where you are going, and keeping yourself informed of potential changing social situations. Do NOT make yourself look vulnerable or go where angels would fear to tred. do NOT dress to bring attention to yourself. Myself, I never wear any clothing that would stand out....Logos, team wear, etc. In my opinion, if I am advertising your product, you pay me to do so. Blend in to the crowd. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m not really seeing it here but the thing that everyone at work kept saying was that they carry for the “public safety” reasons.

Not saying I’m running from a threat but I carry a gun for me and mine not to be a the hero.

I suppose under the right set of circumstances, I’d try to take out like a mass shooter if I felt I could do so without drawing fire towards my family . But a robbery or something not directly affecting me, not so much .

Friday Mrs Nomad and I went to lunch at the Brew pub, just missed a double shooting , one fatal at the corner of St Paul and Ave E . Sat at light as area was marked off and police were still heavily on scene . You never know where the shooter will run or what he’ll do to,get away .

Dave that was a good post with lots of good advice .

ill,say sometimes it happens when and where you least expect it, trapping,many years ago we had two guys pull a bat and a machete on us , apparently they thought they owned the area , once my buddy drew his fixed blade Buck and I my folder , things calmed down, even though they had the advantage. We were in a stream they were on the bank , I don’t feel they wanted to jump in but it was a bit dicey .

Last summer my friend ,who’s still on the job as a FF , pulled into a 7/11 in the suburbs and saw a guy laying on the ground next to a motorcycle, I’m not sure if it was upright . A woman was leaning over the guy, he asked if it was a motorcycle accident, she replied no he was SHOT ! Where’s the shooter he asks , she points to a car still on scene ..... He reached for his gun as the car sped off , then treated the  victim . Daytime in the burbs .

Too many stories involving people I know shaped my habits .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 2

I have never had any desire to carry, but I don't hold it against anyone who does. I have never been in a situation where I have feared for my life, and honestly, I think carrying would make me a bit paranoid about that kind thing. 

I always tell people that I have no desire to shoot anyone (not that all CC do) I don't even want to practice on a humanoid target. Plus, I know I more likely to shoot myself than a "bad guy", and that's enough to turn me off of it :)

Really though, I never worry about the need for a gun, and carrying one would have me worrying all the time about needing one. 

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Not allowed in Oneida co.  Wish I had the choice. 

That is what sucks about this state. It is a NEW York State permit and counties are allowed to dictate to their residents what they can and cannot do.

I can come to Oneida county and carry but someone that resides there can't.

FYI They can issue a non-restricted but don't make it clear how one gets issued,

https://www.ocgov.net/oneida/pistolpermits/applinfo

I bet if a good Lawyer pushed it with this group the policy would change.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve D said:

That is what sucks about this state. It is a NEW York State permit and counties are allowed to dictate to their residents what they can and cannot do.

FYI They can issue a non-restricted but don't make it clear how one gets issued,

It's not just counties doing it ,entire states are doing it with marijuana . If you live in a state that allows marijuana consumption and you take part ,you are breaking a federal law.

• Like 2

I carry for self protection. I’d do anything possible to not have to pull the gun out first though. I’d imagine it’s a life changing event to pull a gun and even more so to use it. Mine is on me almost all day and that even includes when I’m home. It’s always concealed and I doubt many people including friends and family know I have it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

When u apply the office tells you don't even apply for unrestricted cause you will just get denied unless your an officer.