Why Conceal carry

Buckmaster7600

43 minutes ago, Belo said:

bro... please stop 

I understand you do not know me. I am a Kung Fu instructor, temple ordained Sifu. Have trained at THE temple in the Wudang mountains for 10+ years and here in the states for 12+ years prior. 2 time NYS champ (back to back). In all honesty, I enjoy a good tussle.  

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I understand you do not know me. I am a Kung Fu instructor, temple ordained Sifu. Have trained at THE temple in the Wudang mountains for 10+ years and here in the states for 12+ years prior. 2 time NYS champ (back to back). In all honesty, I enjoy a good tussle.  

You spent 10yrs training in China?  That's some serious dedication there.

50 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

We need to put you up against forum member Blackbeltbill for the HuntingNY.com championship. A cage match might be appropriate.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

My guess is you were 21 , as that’s the minimum age, unless it was younger back then .

It use to be younger, 18 if I remember correctly. I took the class at 18 or 19 years old and the law was changed to 21 before I filed my paper work so I never ended up getting it until about 2 years ago when I was in my mid 30's 

• Like 1

The problem is.... Many neighbors when they hear one of us carry.... they Freak out... and are scared that a neighbor has a gun on him while in his yard, etc. They don't believe people should be armed... only police. That's how that newspaper published who in Rockland County had carry permits.... 

6 minutes ago, Eric J said:

The problem is.... Many neighbors when they hear one of us carry.... they Freak out... and are scared that a neighbor has a gun on him while in his yard, etc. They don't believe people should be armed... only police. That's how that newspaper published who in Rockland County had carry permits.... 

To many damn bleeding hearts in NY. My feelings are that every law abiding citizen should carry at all times and there would be near no gun related violent crime in our state, save for the gangs. Think of this, If you were a bad guy looking to hold up a bar, store, whatever...would you still want to do it knowing every person in that place was going to be pointing their weapon at the back of your head once you brandish yours? Or, would you rather come to NY to commit such crime, where you are probably the only armed individual in the room?

Take my guns. Take my neighbor's guns. Take all guns that are not in the hands of the police....The bad guys still get them! Gun laws in this state are bass ackwards. 

Gun control means hitting your target!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I'm not disputing that. I just take issue with the way you phrased it. And you doubled down with your statement about enjoying a good tussle. 

Me, myself I made it to yellow belt in 8th grade, but it was pretty clear from day 1 that I wasn't to go looking for trouble. And I feel the point of self defense should be just that. Last resort.

1 hour ago, Eric J said:

always loved this meme

Capture.PNG.6f603146c2078bc52425940afa4f1ab5.PNG

Edited by Belo
  • Like 2

To many damn bleeding hearts in NY. My feelings are that every law abiding citizen should carry at all times and there would be near no gun related violent crime in our state, save for the gangs. Think of this, If you were a bad guy looking to hold up a bar, store, whatever...would you still want to do it knowing every person in that place was going to be pointing their weapon at the back of your head once you brandish yours? Or, would you rather come to NY to commit such crime, where you are probably the only armed individual in the room?

Take my guns. Take my neighbor's guns. Take all guns that are not in the hands of the police....The bad guys still get them! Gun laws in this state are bass ackwards. 

Gun control means hitting your target!!

Exactly!  It's SAD so many people have no Trust in their neighbors anymore.... I guess no one borrows a Cup of flour or a few Eggs either.... 

I Also think carry should be concealed for everyone... If I'm a bad guy... I go into the 7-11 and see a firearm on the clerks hip... I don't rob that one... I rob the one where the guy has none!  If Concealed carry .... You don't know who has a gun or not!

My feelings are that every law abiding citizen should carry at all times

I couldn't disagree more. I don't want to carry, I know a lot of people who don't want to carry, and there is no reason that I/we should have to. I'm fine if you want to carry, that's all good by me. Sure, I might be a bleeding heart, but I'm cool with that, I really don't want to shoot anyone, bad or good, and I never worry about having to since I don't carry. 

I'm not counting on you to save my life if it comes to it, nor would I deny you from doing so if I were in need. I have had too many CC people tell me "since you don't carry, you'll be praying for a guy like me when the time comes." Honestly, I don't think about you carrying concealed, ever. I never walk into a store thinking about whether or not someone is carrying, I have never put myself in a situation that I felt like I needed the protection of someone carrying concealed. Sure, there is the slightest of chances that one of these days a "bad guy" will threaten my life, but honestly, I doubt the first thing that will come to mind is "I should have been carrying". I sincerely just don't worry about it, and carrying would have me worried about it all of the time.

I don't think that any amount of preparation, whether it be arming or disarming every citizen will prevent bad people from doing bad things. I'd rather live my life in a way that makes me happy, and in a way that for the most part makes comes to a net positive. 

Please don't take this as me bashing anyone who wants to carry, I fully support your right and decision. I really just would like the same respect for my decision not too. I've had this conversation too many times....

Oh, and by the way, I do see your point on having everyone carry, I just don't agree with it. Not saying it's not valid, just not something that I'll buy into.

Edited by Splitear_Leland

4 minutes ago, Splitear_Leland said:

I couldn't disagree more. I don't want to carry, I know a lot of people who don't want to carry, and there is no reason that I/we should have to. I'm fine if you want to carry, that's all good by me. Sure, I might be a bleeding heart, but I'm cool with that, I really don't want to shoot anyone, bad or good, and I never worry about having to since I don't carry. 

I'm not counting on you to save my life if it comes to it, nor would I deny you from doing so if I were in need. I have had too many CC people tell me "since you don't carry, you'll be praying for a guy like me when the time comes." Honestly, I don't think about you carrying concealed, ever. I never walk into a store thinking about whether or not someone is carrying, I have never put myself in a situation that I felt like I needed the protection of someone carrying concealed. Sure, there is the slightest of chances that one of these days a "bad guy" will threaten my life, but honestly, I doubt the first thing that will come to mind is "I should have been carrying". I sincerely just don't worry about it, and carrying would have me worried about it all of the time.

I don't think that any amount of preparation, whether it be arming or disarming every citizen will prevent bad people from doing bad things. I'd rather live my life in a way that makes me happy, and in a way that for the most part makes comes to a net positive. 

Please don't take this as me bashing anyone who wants to carry, I fully support your right and decision. I really just would like the same respect for my decision not too. I've had this conversation too many times....

I said "should" carry not must carry. If you don't want to carry, NBD. I usually don't carry either, at least not my gun. I was only suggesting that more ppl carrying would be a deterrent to the bad guys. 

The bad guys will always be bad, but if they know they are not the only armed ppl in a given situation, they will almost assuredly look for easier prey. 

I don't understand how carrying would lead you to worry about anything, other than maybe some extra weight lol. 

You may never experience an instance where you would need to be carrying. I, however, remember bringing my gun and my pit bull to work with me just to feel like I had a chance. Different circumstances call for different measures. 

1 hour ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I said "should" carry not must carry. If you don't want to carry, NBD. I usually don't carry either, at least not my gun. I was only suggesting that more ppl carrying would be a deterrent to the bad guys. 

The bad guys will always be bad, but if they know they are not the only armed ppl in a given situation, they will almost assuredly look for easier prey. 

I don't understand how carrying would lead you to worry about anything, other than maybe some extra weight lol. 

You may never experience an instance where you would need to be carrying. I, however, remember bringing my gun and my pit bull to work with me just to feel like I had a chance. Different circumstances call for different measures. 

I apologize if I took your statement incorrectly. Again, I disagree that more people carrying would make things "safer", but I'm sure we could argue in circles all day long about that, so no need to do so.

Hey, if I was going to carry, I'm going for bear, S&W 29, so perhaps weight would be an issue :) I guess it just comes down to knowing that I'm carrying a weapon, and carrying with intent to use against another person should the need arise. Again, this is something that I never worry about, but knowing that I have a gun for this reason would be on my mind anytime that I would be carrying, and I just don't want that worry or responsibility. 

• Like 1

Hey squirrel...you still in Brooklyn? My mother grew up on Sackett street ...those brownstones are now millions of dollars versus the slum it was when she was there 65 years ago. College Bakery was one of my favorite places as a kid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, crappyice said:

Hey squirrel...you still in Brooklyn? My mother grew up on Sackett street ...those brownstones are now millions of dollars versus the slum it was when she was there 65 years ago. College Bakery was one of my favorite places as a kid!

No out in Suffolk since 97. I had trouble falling asleep when I first moved here...too quiet. Couldn't wait to leave Bklyn, never wanna go back. Not even to visit lol

My thoughts on concealed carry are:

1.     Know when you can use a gun in self-defense legally. 

2.     Know how to expertly and quickly deploy your weapon to neutralized your deadly threat without harming innocent lives.

3.     Know that hesitation will be your greatest enemy if you fail items 1 and 2 above. 

Bruce Lee preached the main tenant of self-defense is awareness.  Gichin Funakoshi said it best when with if you see a threatening person walking towards you, just cross the street.  If they are some angry disturbed person, they will probably be no threat and keep walking straight.  But if they cross with you, you need to go into offense-defense mode or you may be licking your blood off the pavement.   

Unfortunately your self-defense tool bag must carry many devices.  The most important one is your brain.  A brain that is smart, rational and aware that threats do not always advertise themselves.  Sadly deploying a firearm in public to protect yourself may not have the best outcome for you.  Even brandishing a firearm at a would be assailant to educate them of the facts of death could result in your arrest.  New York is not a stand your ground state.  Sadly it can be complicated.  I had a jerk who kept pushing me in a store checkout line.  After a couple shoves I straight eyeballed him in a drill sergeant style manner and told him in a civil manner and calm voice to stop.  Jerk just stared at the ceiling.  Again he pushes me when I turn around so I deploy a hidden secret from ancient kata and jerk flies across the floor really staring at the ceiling this time.  End of problem.  Another time while waiting for a subway another jerk tried to rush me to take me down.  Again hidden secret from ancient kata resulted in the jerks solar plexus meeting my elbow for a knock out encounter and jerk ends up missing the subway as he tries to regain his breathing.  Both incidents had my attacker neutralized to the point the threat was gone.  If I had deployed my handgun, I am not sure how that would have worked for me legally and would it have stopped or increase the damages? 

In so far as drawing my weapon to protect others in a public setting like a shopping mall or theater that would require a whole lot of analysis.  First and foremost, how would law enforcement know I am a good guy who is armed?  Now if law enforcement was on the scene and requested I fight with them then yes, I am in.  Otherwise I am going to help others escape and get the hell as far away so SWAT can neutralize the threat so I do not catch any full metal jackets or shrapnel. 

Sadly there are violent sociopaths loose in public.  Yes they are concentrated in there neighborhood, but many are mobile.  So while I train and retrain and remember the dark side from war combat experience I leave you with the words of wisdom to “make love, not war, be prepared for both!”

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

I was in that area Saturday for a hockey game. L&B Spumoni Gardens for square pie on the way home. Awesome. 

The owner of L&B could’ve used a concealed carry last year. 

I was in that area Saturday for a hockey game. L&B Spumoni Gardens for square pie on the way home. Awesome. 

The owner of L&B could’ve used a concealed carry last year. 

One of my favorite spots....they flip the layers for those not in the know. Dough, cheese and sauce on top. “Squares” is the only name to call them too.

Joes on Ave U is my other spot for panelle sandwiches (chick pea flour fried patties, with fresh ricotta and shaved parm on a seeded semolina roll), potato croquettes and rice ball specials.
Now I need to make a trip and bring the family on an “eating tour!”

• Like 1