How did coyotes get on Long Island?

Rattler

Up until recently, all of the info on yotes in NYC said there were no yotes on Long Island.  NYC is having a problem with them and I can see how they got into the city, since they could easily follow rail lines into the city from the north.  But to get onto Long Island they would have to cross bridges, swim a river or be transported there by people.  Are there any tunnels going onto the Island?  

There is strong suspicion among some animal control groups that certain animal rights groups may have intentionally transported trapped animals onto the island.  Anyone know anything about the yote situation there?

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

The answer is literally in the first 20 minutes of the audio book i posted in the other thread , its also available in hardcover for those who have time to sit and read.

I haven’t listened to the audiobook that you posted, but my guess is that they were put there by the DEC. They’ll never admit it though. They first showed up in Bridgehampton quite a few years ago. DEC said that they traveled along the tracks and power lines. There are plenty of deer and small game in Nassau and western Suffolk. Why would they go all the way to Bridgehampton first? The nightlife? Lol. 
i don’t know if it’s true, but I’ve heard rumors of them now on the North Fork, Central Suffolk, and even Fire Island. What better way to try and control the deer population. It’s sure a lot cheaper alternative to paying the USDA to come in and reduce the herd. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

The answer is literally in the first 20 minutes of the audio book i posted in the other thread , its also available in hardcover for those who have time to sit and read.

Which thread?

I wonder about Staten Island as well.

At the moment I can't recall the rail line ,after I first listened I told biz about it and he said it was the same rail line he takes to work . Because of the location where she was spotted ,they feel confident enough to say she walked the rail bed. I also forget the year ,i want to say it was the early 70s when it was reported.

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

I wonder what percentage of a coyotes diet comes from deer??

Maybe a 1/4.. and i imagine it changes everywhere.. I think they prey on more small game than anything in my area.. turkey, rabbit and other small critters.. The occasional run down or wounded deer.. I know a pack will take down a healthy deer, but i think they go through the pecking order first.. picking off the weak and moving up the ladder from there.. They are opportunists. 

Again each area is different on whats available for food sources.. 

I do know they are my new favorite critter lol next to deer and turks.. lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, left field said:

Everything he talks about in this interview involves western coyotes.  No mention on the Eastern Coyote that thrives in the Catskills.  I believe most scientists that study yotes would say the two species are totally different and require different management plans.

Is their an expert on Eastern Coyotes that is being promoted in the media these days?  If not, why not?

2 minutes ago, rachunter said:

If they where put there by humans I put my money on a farmer. Between the deer geese and now turkey the crop damage has got to be a big problem. Those wire fences they put up ain’t cheap a coyote is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmers have livestock and most hate coyotes because they play havoc with their lifestock.

29 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Everything he talks about in this interview involves western coyotes.  No mention on the Eastern Coyote that thrives in the Catskills.  I believe most scientists that study yotes would say the two species are totally different and require different management plans.

Is their an expert on Eastern Coyotes that is being promoted in the media these days?  If not, why not?

The book immediately jumps into the coyote population in NY

There's a poultry farm in Calverton- although they only have live turkeys in the months before Thanksgiving.  There might be a few other small seasonal poultry farms around.  But, the days of the Long Island duck farms are long gone.

There is a rapidly growing wild turkey population here.  They barely existed here just a few years ago.  Now, they're everywhere.  I have flocks of them in my residential neighborhood.

The East port duck farm closed a few years ago. I’m pretty sure it will be condo”s or townhouses soon. The farmer in bridgehampton made it pretty clear he wanted something done about the deer. That fence had to be close to a million bucks to put up and didn’t cover his whole property.

DEC brought Turkeys back to Long Island almost 30 years ago. Who’s to say they wouldn’t bring back coyotes? 

If they did it was another stupid mistake. They really should release bobwhite qual to kill off some of the damn ticks at least they where native to the island.

• Like 1