How often do you buy a new bow?

nybuckboy

6 hours ago, nybuckboy said:

I know there are people who upgrade every year. How often do you tend to update your bow? Do you often times keep your sight and rest or swap everything?

Bought my current bow in 2005. Swapped strings a few times. One new sight about 10 years ago. Kills deer, but now that I say this, I think I really need a new bow! 

usually about every 7 years.  Have had this one now for 5 years this upcoming fall season.  And since I havent shot an arrow at a deer either of the last two years its better get its use this season!  But i usually get a new one if string is worn out.  Figure the rest of bow is getting worn too.  Unless some early issue with the string. I usually buy a ready to hunt rig so get all new sights, biscuit etc.

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I started with a PSE in 1992 , then a Hoyt  magnatec in 99 , then bought a Hoyt protec in 04 ,  then bought a 2014 Hoyt faktor and still shooting it. The Z5 cams Hoyt used on the  faktor are super smooth. I tend to stick with what works and honestly I have no interest in buying another bow yet. And I’m still using my sight I bought back in early 2000’s , 

My current hunting and 3D setups were both 2012 and I'd been getting the itch for something new. Especially after I shot Sod and Lawds Rituals. And then I got a magical offer from Moog to buy his Ritual 35 at a great price and jumped on it. Im just getting it set up with sight and rest from my current bow and then I'll post her up. I always buy year or two old used. My last new bow was a year 2000 Darton

Have cycled through a couple over the last few years.....mainly buy lightly used off AT and have had great luck.

Now my 73 year old father has a sick obsession with buying and just growing his collection. Since he retired 11 years ago I believe he has cycled through at least
8 or 9 Mathews that he uses for hunting or 3d.....and the last few years he has been on Bear kicked and currently owns at least 4 of those. .....and he shoots them daily as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't want to calculate how many bows I averaged per year over the last 10 years.  lol  That said, I am sticking with the same recurve and compound for 2020 as I did in 2019.  In fact, I decided to sell off some that I had sitting around.  Down to 2 recurves and 2 compounds that I would likely hunt with.  My goal is to never buy another bow - famous last words.

• Like 1

Hard to say but I bought a new z7 kept it for 5 years. Got a Halon kept that for 3 years . Got a new ritual and probably keeping this one for a while. I also like buying used bows whenever a deal pops up. I’ll probably never buy a brand new bow again seeing how much the drop in price after only a year.

• Like 3

Well, my Darton is a 1986 and I hunted with it from 1993 until this past fall.  This year I broke down and bought a brand new Bear Vast.  So about every 27 years or so I guess. 

I think there's something wrong with it though.  It doesn't make any noise when you shoot it, there's no vibration, the arrows fly flat and they go so fast you can't watch them in like with my old bow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't want to calculate how many bows I averaged per year over the last 10 years.  lol  That said, I am sticking with the same recurve and compound for 2020 as I did in 2019.  In fact, I decided to sell off some that I had sitting around.  Down to 2 recurves and 2 compounds that I would likely hunt with.  My goal is to never buy another bow - famous last words.
I call first dibs on the next new bow you plan on selling

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Although bowhunting is my real passion, I don't find the desire to always be buying something new like I do rifles and shotguns. I have averaged 9 years each, on my last 3 bows. I buy a top of the line model and upgrade the accessories every couple of years. I find that it really takes about that long for the new technology to trickle down to the base-line bows and for high-end bows to make a major advancement worth upgrading to. This year was my second year with my Bowtech Reign 7 and see no reason to upgrade in the near future. I can see dropping to a lighter weight bow in a few years though. I'm also in the buy used off of AT crowd. That's where I picked up my latest bow and will never buy new again. You can buy year-old $1000 bows for $500 all day long.

• Like 1

1st bow Golden Eagle 18 years of killing .

2nd a Reflex ,  10 maybe 11 years idk 

3rd one year , only got it because I couldn’t draw #2 anymore , oh an Elite Synergy .if It ever gets to the, point I can’t draw this one, I’ll just use my Xbow 

My current bow is 12 yrs old. The one before that was 8 yrs old when I gave it away. Still have a Hoyt that's over 30 yrs old, just because it is so easy to introduce new archers to, if needed. When I first started archery I changed bows every 2-3 yrs. Then, technology was changing rapidly and bows were getting noticably better and faster every yr. Now the rate of improvement seems to have plateaued, so longer time to obsolescence. That's my take anyway.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk