How often do you buy a new bow?

nybuckboy

I was getting a new to me bow every couple years.  But they were all really cheap and never felt right. The bow ive got now is going on 3 yrs(for me) and bought it fully setup with case for 100.  Only issue i have is it likes to jump forward so if im not set i no because it wants to go.  Hoping next year to swing for a new elite.  Ive only bought 1 bow brand new and that was 12-15 yrs ago.

I used to want the latest and greatest when I was in my early twenties and had money to blow on that kind of stuff. I sold most of my equipment when I went to grad school, and just kept my old High Country, probably from the early to mid '90s. My last season of hunting with it I took 3 deer (my all time high was 9 with that bow and 2 with a shotgun). I haven't hunted with it in almost 5 years, since I moved to NYS.

I really debated on getting something different for this year, as it's my first year of getting back into hunting since moving up here. I ended up getting a 2007 Bowtech. I'm sure that High Country will kill deer just as well as the Bowtech, and I'll probably end up taking them both out at different points this year.

I would say that a bow that was effective 20 years ago, will still be effective today. Sure, higher speeds can help with deer ducking the string or maybe extend your range a little bit, but if you practice and hunt well, quality equipment is effective regardless of it's age, as long as it's being used by an effective user. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, G-Man said:

When the technology has changed enough to make it a true upgrade, that being said mine is now 10 or so years old and nothing has changed enough to warrent buying a new one.

I'm curious what bow from 10 years ago is this easy to hold at full draw . Any current mfg for that matter . The days of waiting to draw on an approaching deer are over ,unless you shoot something other then an Elite. 

(I would never try this either btw LOL)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm curious what bow from 10 years ago is this easy to hold at full draw . Any current mfg for that matter . The days of waiting to draw on an approaching deer are over ,unless you shoot something other then an Elite. 

That is one of the most nerve wracking videos I've seen for a while. I was just waiting for that thing to let loose. Impressive none the less.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I have a adrenalin, and I never hold my bow and draw longer than a few seconds..  I never understood why people do? Perhaps I just hunt different.. I set my stands so deer come from behind me, they pop out at 10 to 18 yards either broadside or 1/4 ing away, head goes behind tree I draw aim and release..  simple head movement looking over my shoulder is all I need to confirm its deer I want to shoot or not.. I use my ears, I do not want to watch a deer coming for hundreds of yards..  

My personal experiance is deer are spooked by the hunter moving into position , more than drawing their bow ,and by setting visual stands by the time the deer get to them they re all worked up and draw at wrong time or move while deer is in view.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, G-Man said:

My personal experiance is deer are spooked by the hunter moving into position , more than drawing their bow ,and by setting visual stands by the time the deer get to them they re all worked up and draw at wrong time or move while deer is in view.

100% agree, the actual draw involves my right arm moving straight back idk 12 -15 inches ? It’s standing , turning, raising bow, that requires far more movement . 

• Like 1

I upgraded just before last season to a bowtech. I'll probably stick with this for awhile as it's reliable and comfortable for me. Three things would motivate me to look for another one: game changing new gadget, mechanical failure, or getting a wicked deal that I just can't pass up. I already have a crossbow, and only get out 3-5 times with the vertical bow.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Standing ? You sit down while in the tree?  

By far the majority of the time , give me a large platform with a footrest and a full size chair with back please . I stand to,shoot, take a leak, , stretch ( you should see me do my shoulder exercises in stand lol )  , look around mostly .

In the woods I can see them coming from far off ( generally)  and chose when to stand, in the thick stuff I use small ladders with no ,arms or rails so I can shoot sitting and leaning as they often “ just “ appear at close range . I often stand first and last light there . 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

Not gonna stand on end for 6 straight hours at a clip. Are you?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I stand (leaning against the tree) most of the time in my Summit climber. If I get real bored and have that “dear woods” feeling I will sit just to change it up. When I need to stand I’m as graceful as a fat dude getting out of an airplane bathroom especially when bundled up for the cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

That bow in the video is at over 90% let off, I'm going to have to look into this. My old Bowtech Black Knight 2 had about 3% let off, it was fast though

That bow in the video doesn't go over 90 percent let off,you can look into it all you want. I can save you the trouble though ,depending on which cam either the energy cam which is 75 to 90 percent let off or the ens cam is 80 percent let off. I'm not surprised it comes as shock to people how good elite bows are ,they don't spend a lot of money like hoyt or Mathews tricking people into thinking they have state of the art equipment .

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

That bow in the video doesn't go over 90 percent let off,you can look into it all you want. I can save you the trouble though ,depending on which cam either the energy cam which is 75 to 90 percent let off or the ens cam is 80 percent let off. I'm not surprised it comes as shock to people how good elite bows are ,they don't spend a lot of money like hoyt or Mathews tricking people into thinking they have state of the art equipment .

Maybe I'm wrong but if the bow has a draw weight of 71.4# - 91.28% = 6.22# the weight of the bow. I'm impressed. I'm going to have to check these Elite's out