Caught my 3rd bobcat

Water Rat

8 hours ago, Water Rat said:

IMG_5566.thumb.JPG.327d52859ea943d76d2d3db0efe628a2.JPG

looks like it stepped on the pan.? What are you setting your pan tension at? I'm have a hard time getting my duke traps pans between 3-4 pounds. I'm going to pick up a dozen mb550,but need a few more things to get me started.It's been fun reading about trapping and seeing yours and others post keeps me going.Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:22 PM, rachunter said:

looks like it stepped on the pan.? What are you setting your pan tension at? I'm have a hard time getting my duke traps pans between 3-4 pounds. I'm going to pick up a dozen mb550,but need a few more things to get me started.It's been fun reading about trapping and seeing yours and others post keeps me going.Thanks for sharing

The track you see in the dirt was made by me . I bought the "track maker" because I read somewhere that a tom would actually feel at ease stepping into the track of another bobcat. I figured it couldn't hurt and I needed all the help I could get. Besides , it only cost a couple bucks. It also is a good way to see where the pan was after I made the set. The pan tension on my traps are 3-4 pounds right out of the box. I thought about buying the 4 coil but the pan tension is to much for bobcats. I never used Duke traps before but I would imagine you can lower the tension by bending the dog. I wish you success in your trapping endeavors.....it sure is a lot of fun.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2020 at 6:01 PM, TACC said:

I was under the impression that Bobcats were very territorial and that only a very few lived in a particular area.

Have your traps been in the same general area?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My sets are pretty much in the same general area. I might have to drive to the next town over to check my sets but that's nothing when you consider a bobcats home range. I believe that there are more bobcats around than people think. I'm certainly not afraid of wiping out an area that I'm trapping.

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

pretty sure you could reduce Duke poundage with nite latching DIY

I don't think that would change the poundage would it?  I thought that was just for travel. The Dukes I have all have a nut and bolt that can adjust the pan tension. Some I believe had carbon steel nuts and bolts and switching to the brass keeps them from rusting and increasing the tension. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

pretty sure you could reduce Duke poundage with nite latching DIY

6 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't think that would change the poundage would it?  I thought that was just for travel. The Dukes I have all have a nut and bolt that can adjust the pan tension. Some I believe had carbon steel nuts and bolts and switching to the brass keeps them from rusting and increasing the tension. 

I night latched and changed out the small brass bolt,it's the bolt and nut that increases/decreases pan tension. The best I could do was between 4-5 pounds. No biggie i'll have a dozen mb's buy next season.

• Like 1