Considering Buying a CVA Optima Muzzleloader

LICOASTIE

I have been doing some research on muzzleloaders and after reading reviews online and going to stores and looking at a few I have really liked the CVA Optima. Before I go ahead and purchase one I had a few questions. 
- has anyone had issues with the firing pin with the Optima? I read online a few people had some problems. 
- will I need a different breach plug for BH209?

- what bullets/loads do you guys recommend with the CVA Optima?

-Nitride barrel vs stainless steel?

Thanks!

The bh209 breech plug will ignite it 100% of the time,the stock one won't. A good starting sabot and bullet would be a harvester crush rib sabot and a hornady 300gr non mag xto. Your better off buying both separate as it's much cheaper the buy pre packaged. I've been a stainless fan but seems the industry is going towards a coating like nitride. I do believe people are adjusting the firing pin bushing to get a perfect crush fit on the primer. If I'm not mistaking they sell a shim kit too. Good luck, make some smoke !!

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/products/crush-rib-sabots

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/handgun/45-cal-452-300-gr-xtp#!/

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

Loose powder, ( will let you get most out of your gun) a good pistol lead bullet in a properly sized sabot. Slower velocity max expansion..   do not feel you need to max out you powder charge I would bet those with firing pin problems were max charge and most likely pellets ( making mini pipebombs) 

I cant speak on BH209 as I use powder pellets.  However I'd go with Stainless Steel.  The Nitride is tough as nails, but I read once that due to the chemical reactions that take place during the plating process the metal under the Nitride can rust quickly IF the Nitride is ever chipped or scratched to bare metal.  Stainless Steel will mostly endure without any issues, and its very impervious to corrosion.

I had a Gen 1 Optima and it was a great ML.  No issues with the firing pin other than if you dont take it apart and clean it with the rest of the gun, it does tend to corrode.  CVA sells a firing pin kit on their website which consists of the pin itself, the spring, o-ring and the spanner nut that keep it all in the action head.  I have purchased one or two sets as spares and keep them in my ML box.  I ended up selling the Optima when the tool-less breech plug design came out and I bought a Stainless Steel Wolf instead with the new BP, also it was bit shorter and fit me better than the Optima.  Both great guns for the money.  I'd say that my Wolf is the most comfortable gun I own to shoulder.

I have fired the Hornady XTP bullets and they are devastating.

Good luck, if you get an Optima you will love it.

Edited by loworange88

I have the Accura, but my friend has the optima and chef has it as well. Amazing guns, but if you shop around you can get the Accura for the same price. This season I used triple 7 pellets, becuase I couldnt get my hands on BH 209, but like others have said the BH breechplug will be more consistent with loose powder than the stock plug. I got the stainless steel barrel because thats what was suggested to me. The load is up to the gun though. I used 250gr Barnes TEZ with 100gr of triple 7. It was extreemly accurate, but I hated having to clean it after every time I shot it so BH209 it is for next season. If you do happen to go with the Optima, youll definitely love it 

I use a fixed 4X.  In my opinion...Generally you get better clarity on a fixed scope compared to the same exact model in a variable magnification.  With you muzzleloader, you're going for head shots on squirrels at 100 yards so 4X is generally enough.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:30 AM, LICOASTIE said:

I have been doing some research on muzzleloaders and after reading reviews online and going to stores and looking at a few I have really liked the CVA Optima. Before I go ahead and purchase one I had a few questions. 
- has anyone had issues with the firing pin with the Optima? I read online a few people had some problems. 
- will I need a different breach plug for BH209?

- what bullets/loads do you guys recommend with the CVA Optima?

-Nitride barrel vs stainless steel?

Thanks!

I have the CVA Optima.... I love it!  Stainless.... Love that you can screw off the plug by hand.... Never had any issues with it!

4 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I say why limit your self for no reason personally. Unless i knew all of my shots were going to be sub 50 yards id go with the variable powered scope

I could see the center of a target at 100 yards on 4X I'm sure I can see a deer's bread basket at that distance.  I have had times when I left my scope at 9X and when I jumped a deer, I had a hard time finding it in the scope.

You'll enjoy your new gun, keep us posted .Part of the fun with muzzle loading is trying new bullets and powders . That said as stated above I highly recommend buying your bullets and sabots separate it's much cheaper then pre packaged. 

7 hours ago, Elmo said:

I could see the center of a target at 100 yards on 4X I'm sure I can see a deer's bread basket at that distance.  I have had times when I left my scope at 9X and when I jumped a deer, I had a hard time finding it in the scope.

Im not saying its not a good option, I just personally wouldnt limit my self to 4x when its not needed. I keep mine on 5x most of the time in the woods, but I like being able to bump it up to 9x if the shots a bit futher. 

4X will definitely serve you well if you choose to go that route OP

• Like 1